views on whos going to win the tour?

2»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Lance A will win or come 2nd to AC...his Giro form all things considered was promising. Gut instinct is that a talent like his means he'll be very close even at 37...you don't 7 TDF in a roiw without being head shoulders above the rest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    phreak wrote:
    Andy Schleck has been my tip for the title for a few months. His battle with Contador should be great to watch.

I thought Schleck couldn't TT? Can you win a GT if you can't TT?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Andy Schleck has been my tip for the title for a few months. His battle with Contador should be great to watch.

Pantani managed it.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    phreak wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Pantani managed it.

Can you win a GT if you cant TT and don't take drugs?
    Mañana
  • Pokerface
    phreak wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Pantani managed it.

Pantani had other 'help'
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Wouldn't say Sastre is the greatest time trialist either. He was expected to lose big time to Evans last year and hung on in there.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    quote]
    I thought Schleck couldn't TT? Can you win a GT if you can't TT?[/quote]

sometimes if youve got a yellow jersey on it motivates you much more to TT (Contador in 07 and Sastre in 08

as well with Ventoux right at the end even if youve had an off TT day you might be able to get back some time climbing- I dont think Evans will get a podium this year cos of that
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    JC.152 wrote:
    as well with Ventoux right at the end even if youve had an off TT day you might be able to get back some time climbing- I dont think Evans will get a podium this year cos of that

On the other hand if Evans is in yellow and has a margin going into Ventoux he knows he doesn't have to chase every attack, just limit his losses. Maybe we'll see proper racing into Paris if it's really close. One can but dream.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    is the paris stage just a Champs crit like normal?would be good to see attcks on last day instead of just champagne and sprint at the end
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Menchov should have podiumed in last years tdf - ended up at 2:10 with the "odd thing going wrong" - he'll be in the mix.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Contador wins easily -- with Lance, Levi, Popo, and Kloden riding for him. Astana will fold shortly after and the new Livestrong team will emerge with Alberto as the man.

The Hog spoke the truth -- AC is the best. The Giro revealed the truth about LA and LL.

The real race is for second place -- Sastre will take that.

Of course, I'm drunk off my azz.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Pantani managed it.

Pantani had other 'help'

I would assume that it was a level playing field
    Dan
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Pantani managed it.

Pantani had other 'help'

What - and everyone was doped up to the eyeballs?
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Contador or Evans, either could do the first Dauphiné Libéré - Tour Double since Armstrong in 2003.

Lance never tried 2 tours in his prime and he's is too far off the pace to make up 5% or more from the Giro, and Leipheimer is not good enough to win a major tour. Sastre won't have the quality of team support as last year.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    leguape wrote:
    Maybe we'll see proper racing into Paris if it's really close. One can but dream.

I would love to see this also, but given that the peloton wind it so massively at the end it's virtually impossible to make a breakaway stick, and for any wearer of the Maillot Jaune doubly so

there was only 8sec between Lemond and Fignon on the final day in 1989 (is that the right yr? i forget) and they didn't attack each other - it's as much a tradition as anything else, the risk of crashes and the fact that they've raced hard for 3 weeks it's a celebration day

anyway...

1. Contador
    2. Schleck
    3. Sastre

although spot 3 could be evans depending on team support
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    edhornby wrote:

there was only 8sec between Lemond and Fignon on the final day in 1989 (is that the right yr? i forget) and they didn't attack each other - it's as much a tradition as anything else, the risk of crashes and the fact that they've raced hard for 3 weeks it's a celebration day

The final day in 1989 saw a time trial where the yellow jersey (Fignon) lost enough time (50 seconds?) that Lemond took the yellow jersey from him. Therefore they did attack each other. If memory serves me right, Fignon did try to attack on one of the days before in order to gain time - that was on the flat too? (could be wrong here, i was quite young when watching it!)
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144
    Evans to make it three in a row :lol:
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    There aren't many kms of individual TTs this year so the mountains will be more important, though with a 15k TT on the opening day riders could enter the first mountain stages already with an advantage so they just need to follow wheels (Evans?).
  • Manaru
    Manaru Posts: 18
    I reckon Lance will win, Contador second or third and I hope Andy Schleck makes the top three.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    phreak wrote:

Pantani managed it.

Pantani had other 'help'

What - and everyone was doped up to the eyeballs?

Err yes. :(
    Dan
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm expecting OUCH to get a surprise last minute invitation and for Floyd Landis to absolutely dominate.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    views on whos going to win the tour?

Whoever LA decides is allowed to!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • joedh
    joedh Posts: 16
    I don't see how anyone can really think armstrong has a hope in hell of winning.

He's old, so can't TT anywhere near as well as he used to, will be beaten in TTs by Menchov, Contador, Evans, Leipheimer (based on his TTing earlier in the season), and possibly others.

Also, there is a ridiculous amount of young talent emerging in terms of climbing e.g. Rolland, Gesink etc not to mention the talent already there, Contador, Schleck, Sastre.

Armstrong is just too old to win without cheating.

I would say Contador has the best chance, with Schleck, Menchov or Sastre on the podium, depending on how well they use their team mates.