Bleeding Tektro Auriga Comp brakes

Si78
Si78 Posts: 963
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi again,

Have Tektro Auriga Comp discs fitted. Rear brake has gone seriously spongy...lever to the bars virtually. I think I seriously overheated the rear brake going down some very steep, rutted slopes the other day.

So I presume a bleeding is needed.

Only problem is I cant find a Tektro Auriga Service Kit anywhere. CRC, Dotbikes, Petra and many more all out of stock until 11th June at the earliest, some wont have stock until July. :(

No joy on Ebay either :cry:

Does anyone know if any other brake service/bleeding kits are compatible with Tektro Auriga Comp brakes?

Si
Why has my sig been removed by the admins???

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the tech links sticky?

if you do you will find a link to Tektros service page with a manual showing how to, you guessed it, bleed the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Si78
    nicklouse wrote:
    looked in the tech links sticky?

if you do you will find a link to Tektros service page with a manual showing how to, you guessed it, bleed the brakes.

lol Thanx for reading my OP carefully.... lol

The issue isnt that I dont know how to bleed the brakes!

Ive read my manual and it seems simple 8)

The issue is that no Tektro bleed / service kits are in stock at any of the many websites ive checked.

Was wondering if any other kits are compatible with Tektro brakes, as I need to bleed them as soon as possible.

Si
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I just ordered a generic bleed kit from ebay and did mine, a couple of syringes, some tubing and a bottle of mineral oil.

The hardest thing is getting something fit in the hole on the top of the lever without any gap. I sort of sharpened the end of the tubing which did the trick :? My other bikes have Shimano brakes which also use mineral oil, with my current setup I can do any brake and it was sub five pounds I believe (not including oil).
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    ^ problem solved!!!!

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/151/ts_auc_levbleednip/tektro-auriga-comp-lever-bleed-nipple-adapter.html

£2.75 including next day delivery!

Then all you need is some tubing and a syringe - i picked both up from ebay for a couple of quid.

Service kit complete.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    All you need is the syringe and tubing anyway!

The auriga comps are a slight pain to bleed... The trouble is they're a universal fit so either lever can go on either side, and the reservoir cap is on the back not on the top. So, they have a bleed hole in the top instead. But it doesn't work well because of the diaphragm in the reservoir- this moves out as the fluid level drains, but when you bleed the brakes it won't move back, and so if you bleed it by the manual you can have issue. The diaphragm ends up fully deployed so it stops doing its job right, and the reservoir size is reduced.

So, I threw out the manual. Instead, just bleed them- take the reservoir cap (on the back) off being careful of the 2 screws, which are fragile (but only 25p to replace), and fill the reservoir that way, and bleed into a syringe attached to the bleed nipple on the caliper (I like to push fluid up first then bleed down, but that's a personal preference and I'm not sure how much difference it makes on mtb brakes, works a charm on motorbikes)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Si78
    Cheers Toasty, Yoohoo999 and Northwind,

I will look for a generic bleeding kit on 'the bay', hopefully all will be well and I wont be cacking it everytime i go down a slope :oops:

I saw the bleed nipple adapter you linked to yoohoo when I was looking for service kits, made a mental note of it just incase any other kits were compatible with tektro brakes. cheers :D

Si
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    yoohoo999 wrote:

Ooh, that would have made my life much easier :) Got the job done with my random sharpened tubing, it was on a second attempt though.
  • hellsteeth54
    hellsteeth54 Posts: 111
    Toasty wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:

Ooh, that would have made my life much easier :) Got the job done with my random sharpened tubing, it was on a second attempt though.

+1

I ordered the "proper" tektro bleed kit, it arrived with oil, 1 syringe, some random bits of brass (olives I think) and a pathetically short length of tubing. No bleed nipple adaptor!

I managed to fudge it using a bendy drinking straw stuffed into the reservoir hole... :P

Adaptor ordered 5 mins ago- cheers yoohoo!! :D
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    Interested to know if the adapter worked for you as the one they supplied me doesn't seem to fit into the brake lever!
  • I too have Tektro Auriga Comp brakes and am in the process of trying to bleed them.

I got some syringes, some LHM fluid and some tubing and set about it.

Then it all went wrong. The problems I have.

The tubing keeps falling off the nipple on the calipers and or the syringe - any tips - if it means getting a different type of tubing where from?

This adaptor that is advertised above - does this fit onto the reservoir under the star shaped screw next to where it says the "tektro auriga comp" logo? Is the adaptor the valve mentioned in the instructions? If it is - what's to stop air getting into the system when you unscrew the valve to place the screw back in?

If I remove the two small screws on the back of the reservoir (harder said than done - the screw has nicely rounded my tiny allen key - will teach me not to buy cheap kit) what will I find below this cover?

What is below the star shaped screw on the reservoir?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bobbybee2
    have you downloaded the manual available from the link in the tech links sticky?

http://www.tektro.com/04support/manual.php

under the cover you will find the diaphragm.

the torx bolt is the bleed port.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    When I had these brakes thefluid through from the caliper end. The tubing I used IIRC was windscreen washer pipe from a car factors and the syringe came from the chemist for less than a quid. Just remember to push the syringe slowloy or it'll take longer to clean the mess up.
  • Hello all. I'm new here, but like you guys I was looking for information on how to bleed the Auriga Comps. I tried everything from following the manual, to using my automotive bleed system, yet kept having problems with the lever being spongy after bleeding. Here's how I figured out how to bleed the system and get a nice firm lever:

1. I ordered the Tektro bleed kit from www.jensonusa.com. I assume other websites have them as well. You'll use the syringe, tubing, and Minerol Oil in the kit. (The brass parts are for if you want to cut your hose)

2. I made a fluid catcher for the lever end with a rubber fitting, some tubing, and a small plastic jar. Hang the jar on the handlebar so it's secure.

3. I slipped on a piece of rubber bushing over the syringe tubing. This will slide down the tubing and tighten the connection to ensure the syringe tubing doesnt come off.

4. Take your box wrench and slide it on the caliper bleed nipple. Then take your loaded syringe and attach it to the nipple. Slide the rubber bushing down to secure the syinge tubing in place.

5. With your torx wrench, unscrew the bleed screw at the lever and insert your catch tube.

6. At the caliper, unscrew bleed fitting 1/4 turn and start to gently push new oil through the caliper and up through the line. You will start to see fluid rise from the lever and fall into your catch container. During the bleed, gently tap on the caliper to knck any air loose. Also, pull the lever a couple of times and quickly release it to snap back into position. This will help to release any trapped air as well.

**This is where my process differs quite a bit**

7. Once no more air can be seen coming out of the lever, undo the catch container at the lever end and screw the torx screw back into place.

8. At the caliper end, gently push more mineral oil into the caliper until it seems it cannot receive anymore fluid. Screw closed the bleed screw with the box wrench and take off the syringe.

9. Wipe down the caliper clean with Alchohol.

10. At the lever end, you should now feel a firm lever. If your lever feels too firm, grab your torx wrench and a rag, and very slowly unscrew the torx screw until a little mineral oil leaches out. Tighten the screw and check lever firmness. If you wish to continue softening up the lever, repeat the process. Once done, clean the lever with alchohol.

I hope this helps other people because it took me a while to get the process down and end up with a nice firm lever.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    @MQ: Thanks for that, worked a treat, very solid feel now, accidentally locked up a couple of times.

This should be a sticky.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.