Got my copy of "Boy Racer" just now...

FOAD
FOAD Posts: 318
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Ordered Cav's new book from Amazon at 4pm yesterday, 3 days before release and it arrived just now! Wasn't expecting it til release day...

Next few hours sorted :lol:

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm going to order that (even though I'm not a Cav fan) but it's all about the new Coppi book at the moment.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Typical Royal Mail - got the email from Amazon last night saying it was dispatched... but not here today :-(
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    he's got a book out already??!!

Iain whats the coppi one?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Near the end, Cav wins Milan - San Remo.

There, ha! I've ruined it for everyone!
  • iainf72
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's always quick to praise his team. So who were the ghostwriters? :wink:

Could be an interesting read. For the pennypinchers, parts of it will appear on cyclingnews.com soon.
  • DanielFriebe
    DanielFriebe Posts: 102
    Kléber wrote:

Co-writer, chaps...;-)
  • Anonymous
    Am I right then, does he win MSR at the end?
  • LorneC
    Kléber wrote:

Could be an interesting read. For the pennypinchers, parts of it will appear on cyclingnews.com soon.

and in the Tour de France Programme out tomorrow.

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I hear he has some choice words for Wiggo and Brailsford or is it just all we've heard before and its just a bit of hype?
  • DanielFriebe
    DanielFriebe Posts: 102
    If it's choice words you're looking for, directed at several prominent figures, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  • LorneC
    Darn Royal Mail - 1st Class mail now sitting at 2 days and counting :-(

• FOAD
    Almost finished it, just got to the end of the 2008 Tour and the start of him talking about Beijing with Wiggins. Don't think there is enough space left for him to talk about MSR as well....next book maybe.

On that note you get the feeling there are a couple more books in the offing, as he could have made this one 3 times as long but has glossed over a lot of stuff I would have liked to read about.

It's a good read, but the proof readers should be shot. Possibly the worst book for words completely missing that I have read for some time. I read "A Rough Ride" by Paul Kimmage at the weekend and I found that one to be much better written as well.
  • iainf72
    Moomaloid wrote:

Iain whats the coppi one?

Review here

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=14879

I've got it and the Cav vanity project coming. So I shall read about Fausto first.
  • FOAD
    It does cover up to MSR, with the bad spelling and mising words continuing until the end.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    nearly finished reading the book, enjoying every page

I must say that it is very amusing and honest portrayal of his career to date.

The lad comes across as very likeable and for anyone who has raced, a lot of the anecdotes are spot on, and it is reassuring to hear him suffer like a demon on the climbs like the rest of us, or out meeting the local chain gang for a Sunday spin.

Added to that, if he thinks someone is an ass or rubs him up the wrong way, he comes out and says it, be it some BCF trainers, team mates, fellow riders.

He sure as hell does not like Pozzato.

One of the better books on cycling as its not an “oh, how great I am “ type of book.
  • Anonymous
    Started reading it last night. Already seen incidences of missing .
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I'm really enjoying it so far, despite the proof-reading issues.

It's bright and breezy, written just as you'd imagine if you sat down with Cav over a beer or two and let him hold forth.

I really like his attitude - in the bland, cliche and PR-speak ridden world of modern sports we should celebrate Cav as a refreshing exception.

But of course we Brits love a tall poppy, don't we...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • LorneC
    Well my copy finally turned up in this morning's post - only 7 days after it was dispatched - and you wonder why people complain about the Royal Mail!!!

• Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Interview with the fast one by Richard Moore from the Scotland on Sunday yesterday.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sp ... 5342012.jp
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I started reading the book last night - and all I can say is - there's no way he wrote that.

I have sat and talked in person with Cav - and he is NOTHING like that in person. I'm sure they are his stories and possibly even some of his own words, but certainly someone else did the heavy lifting on this one.

Nevertheless, still a good read.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Pokerface wrote:
    I started reading the book last night - and all I can say is - there's no way he wrote that.

I have sat and talked in person with Cav - and he is NOTHING like that in person. I'm sure they are his stories and possibly even some of his own words, but certainly someone else did the heavy lifting on this one.

LOL. yes, all professional athletes write their own books.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    As I've said on here, the columns in Pro Cycling and the diaries on cyclingnews.com are ghostwritten. The same goes for other sports, if you read a column by a famous cricketer or footballer in a newspaper, it's rarely penned by the actual sportsman.

This book appears to be no exception, despite apparently being full of spelling mistakes, one of the reasons a pro writer is hired.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Perhaps in the rush they forgot to hire a proof-reader.

One sign of a rush-schedule job is the size of the index. Or whether it has an index at all.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    edited June 2009
    Pokerface wrote:

Is this not always the case? These books are always ghost written/co written. Can't believe he;s got a book out already, however i have just ordered it with the Procycling 40% discount... Go on the PC! :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Pokerface wrote:

So, um, what IS he really like then?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Pokerface wrote:

Have you actually read this thread? The co-author, Daniel Friebe, has contributed to it.

You are the proof reader of Boy Racer and I claim my £5! :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Welll whoever wrote it, it's a cracking good read. Greenie is right- it DID feel as if you were sitting in a pub with him whilst he spouted forth his views over a pint or three. Cav comes over as a thoroughly honest, hard working, lovely young lad throughout.
    Certainly feel there are more books to come though- the book could have been twice as long.

Definitely recommend it.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Next time I'm in Pimlico I'll blag a copy.