CO2 on Planes

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Anybody have authoritative guidance on whether or not I can carry my CO2 cartridges with me when i flay? I'm flying Ryan Air if it makes any difference.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Check the airlines web site.

Most airlines allow CO2 cylinders used in life jackets to be carried, these are exactly the same as bike CO2, however some airlines will exclude the latter.

I have taken a life jacket on BA, their web site said it was allowed if I contacted them first, I did, they were disinterested and didn't even want to take my details, so I just took it (in hold luggage), said nothing at check in, no problem.

The rules (CAA) are interpreted in widely differing ways by airlines, and these are re-interpreted in widely different ways by check-in staff.

Even if it all seems okay, I would be taking a pump as well as, or instead of CO2 (or take a combined CO2/pump). You often will have no chance of replacing cylinders at your destination.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Most airlines have a pretty much blanket ban on pressurised cannisters these days (maybe not all). Last year while going through security I saw two guys who, unbelievably, carried CO2 cannisters and their bike multi-tools in their cabin baggage. They lost them all - for once, I didn't have any sympathy for some fellow cyclists.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    GyatsoLa wrote:
    Most airlines have a pretty much blanket ban on pressurised cannisters these days (maybe not all). Last year while going through security I saw two guys who, unbelievably, carried CO2 cannisters and their bike multi-tools in their cabin baggage. They lost them all - for once, I didn't have any sympathy for some fellow cyclists.
    It varies, some examples:

Ryanair only prohibit "Gases: propane, butane". Self-inflating life jackets with 2 CO2 cyclinders and two spares are allowed.

KLM prohibit Gases: propane, butane;

BA Restricted items needing no notification (restricted in that maximum quantities are set) Non-flammable, non-toxic gas cylinders (i.e. you may take CO2 cylinders within limits).

Easyjet prohibit everything!

BMI prohibit Compressed gases (flammable, non-flammable, deeply refrigerated and poisonous) such as camping gas and aerosols

This is all presuming hold not hand luggage! Aircraft are full of compressed gas cylinders, so the issues are around security concerns, not safety (other than where security threatens safety, of course).