Glentress, Traquair, and is Kirroughtree worth the drive?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited June 2009 in MTB rides
Going for a three day blast down in Peebles in a couple of weeks and was wondering what people thought of our planned itinerary:

* Day one; Traquair- which is a bit counterintuitive considering we're staying at the Glentress Hotel, but it does mean...

* Day two: Glentress- morning, noon and night! Except, obviously, not night as we'll be in the pub. But how blissfully rare is it to not have to drag your bike on and off the car roof before you get to ride it?

* Day three: Dunno. What do you reckon? I've got a mate coming up from flat, boring Hertfordshire and I want to impress him. Was thinking Ae (Omega Man will be open as it's a Sunday), which I've been to and is thoroughly enjoyable. But is Kirroughtree worth a look? I know it gets all this 'best singletrack in Britain' stuff talked about it, but how will it go down at the end of a three day stretch? Or is there anywhere else that isn't one of the 7 Stanes that's worth a look? (I've done 'em all apart from Kirroughtree and Newcastleton)

Your opinions gratefully received chaps and chapesses.

p.s. my mate who's coming up will be on 24 inch wheels (it's a long, laughably stupid story of pride and- eventually, almost undoubtedly- suffering), so that should maybe be taken into consideration as well...

Comments

• trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Kirry really is that good but is a 2.5hr drive from GT/Inners/Peebles. Then 2hrs back to the M6.

Ae & Mabie are 1.5hr drive from Peebles. You could do both. Ae is open 7days a week btw since Easter.

You may fancy Whinlatter instead on the way down approx 25mls off the M6 past Keswick
    But if you go to Keswick then you may fancy a proper ride and do the Borrowdale Bash. Your mate will just have to suffer the consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or if you are heading over East then Kielder is an option.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Kirry really is that good but is a 2.5hr drive from GT/Inners/Peebles. Then 2hrs back to the M6.

What are you driving, a milk float???? :shock:

GT to Lochmaben - 1 hour. Lochmaben to KT 1 hour tops.

Coming the other way - KT to Castle Douglas - 30 mins. Castle Douglas to Gretna, 45 minutes tops.

That said, KT is and awful lot of riding after GT. I'd say that Ae, Mabie or Dalbeattie would be better options.

Don't rule out Newcastleton too - from GT, head for Hawick then take the back road from Hawick through Liddesdale and past Hermitage Castle. Where the road forks at Sandholm, you can either turn left for Kielder or right for Newcastleton.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic