expensive headsets

13»

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    mea00csf wrote:
    i think you can apply that to everything tho, why spend the extra on xt when slx functions really well etc......

SLX is like XT but made out of plastic, it's alright but I much prefer the XT stuff. I seem to get air into my SLX brakes much more often for a start. I'll be using SLX cassettes while the prices are high, for anything else with a bit more longevity though I'll get XT/X9/XTR.

My Zaskar is using SLX gearing and brakes, my Meta is using XT gearing and brakes.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    my whole drivetrain is XT with the exception of the cranks which are SLX because they are supposed to be super stiff (and they certainly feel like it!)

I love XT stuff, always have done.
  • yoohoo999 wrote:
    my whole drivetrain is XT with the exception of the cranks which are SLX because they are supposed to be super stiff (and they certainly feel like it!)

I love XT stuff, always have done.
    I overheard something about the "stiffer SLX crank" in my LBS recently..
    Is it true?? that it's just the pedal inserts in the double ring chainset that are "stiffer", and that the triples are both comparable?
    Or is it nonsense?? :?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Captain, some good points there. From what I have reasearched, it is the inserts that give the 100% extra strength (in that area), and the literature is about the double.

XT is supposed to have a thicker and stiffer outer ring for XC out of the saddle honking duties.

Personally, i think in the triples, is little in it. Deore is great value. Steel hardwarre adds weight, but lasts ages. SLX gets the genuine hollow cranks - then I think the law of diminishing returns sets in big style.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    yes, i think that's right.

the triple SLX has no inserts, but the double does.

I must admit though, my last rig had LX cranks which were getting a bit hammered anyway and I definintely feel that the SLX double has excellent stiffness for what I throw at it.

That said, I haven't had XT cranks in quite some time so can't really compare. But I got a cracking deal on the SLX double.
  • Sorry back on topic.

Is it wrong to want a CK headset JUST because its super blingy?! :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes as there can be problems with some forks.

Why dont know, but on some long travel SC forks the headset wears the steerer tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    yes
    Bah humbug! :wink: