Bontrager Race lite Hardcase 700/23

fatbloke8
fatbloke8 Posts: 36
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Are these any good?

Looking for a fairly decent quality tyre that can cope with the CTC type rides, i.e. pot holed country lanes, loose gravel, concrete farm tracks etc etc.

Not worried about outright speed as I don't race but something that is a good all rounder and fairly bullet proof woul be good.

Have also heard Schwalbe Marathons are a decent bet.

My bike is a very cheap road bike (mercurio alloy 14sp) and after a couple of punctures over the weekend time to invest in some decent rubber!

Any one any personal prefernces?

thanks your help

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    i used continental ultragators 700/23 all last winter - no punctures, feel fast-ish as well. Changed em for Michelin prorace 3 for summer/racing - still no punctures and very lively!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    fatbloke8 wrote:
    Are these any good?

Looking for a fairly decent quality tyre that can cope with the CTC type rides, i.e. pot holed country lanes, loose gravel, concrete farm tracks etc etc.

Not worried about outright speed as I don't race but something that is a good all rounder and fairly bullet proof woul be good.

Have also heard Schwalbe Marathons are a decent bet.

My bike is a very cheap road bike (mercurio alloy 14sp) and after a couple of punctures over the weekend time to invest in some decent rubber!

Any one any personal prefernces?

thanks your help

I've used the 28s for about 1,000 miles and no punctures, now on a pair of 25s and no problems so far.
  • i've used the Bonty hardcases (700/25) for the last two sets of tyres on my commuter bike, and they are pretty indestructible. The only time i've had a puncture on them in >3000 miles of them is when I pinch flatted after riding over a massive pointy flint and both wheels went :shock: (I probably need to look where i'm going more...)

however the ride quality isn't the best - they aren't very supple, but that's what you get for all out puncture protection

For really good tyres for all round puncture proofy smoothness I'd go for the continental GP4seasons. (but they are a _touch_ more expensive!)
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    I have exactly the same tyre on my rear wheel, and I've had it for several months, covering thousands of miles without a single puncture (sod's law now applies!), like others have said they're completely bombproof (I've been through a couple of pot-holes on them). On my front wheel I've got a michelin krylion which has performed equally well- and has the advantage of being slightly lighter, but are extremely rare to find in shops/online because of low stocks.

In short, I think they are what you're after: fit and forget.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    hammerite wrote:
    I've used the 28s for about 1,000 miles and no punctures, now on a pair of 25s and no problems so far.
    Ditto for about 3,000 miles.

Significantly lighter (350g) and cheaper than the Marathons and fine for me. Based on your requirements I'd say they were ideal. You might want to consider something wider than 23mm if you want more cushioning.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • i find the 700x23 bontrager hardcase very good i never use any other tyres, you can get them online at all terrain cycles about £10.50 each
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    i find the 700x23 bontrager hardcase very good i never use any other tyres, you can get them online at all terrain cycles about £10.50 each

Ive got the 25's on my tricross and they appear bombproof 1200 miles in (although every week i pull the pieces of flint out )..as for the above offer i was looking at getting another pair but not sure if thats finished now
  • extremepig
    extremepig Posts: 23
    I used to use marathon +s but got fed up with the weight so tried these Bontys. Was sceptical cos of the cheapness but can't fault them.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Use them on our commute bikes. Not the most supple but v.reliable. my partner tore about 6cm of tread off her rear tyre last week (fixed wheel,chain snapped and locked the wheel) and she did a 30 mile round trip the day after before she realised the tyre wasn't quite right. Excellent tyre in terms of reliability/vfm
    M.Rushton
  • These are the best. I won't use anything else. Tried Vittoria, gatorskin, nothing compares for puncture resistance.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    They are fantastic - just retired my back tyre after 7 years and thousands of miles without a single puncture - truth be told they may well had another 1000 miles in them. The front tyre looks in great condition.