Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    1. Gottheteeshirt

2. Yatesy

3. Jan Ullrich
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    But you miss the point that David Millar hasn't really won anything important since the EPO stuff.

What and you don't think that Rober Millar wasn't properly prepared either? Try reading Graham Obree's book and the story is also re-quoted in a "search for Rober Millar".
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Despite being officially a veteran I only really got into riding in my mid 30s - and that's when I started following the sport more closely - so my picks are mostly going to be from the last decade. I did have a passing interest before that and followed the likes of Robert Millar, Kelly et al but most of their racing I've seen has been on video since they retired.

GT winner : DiLuca, Sastre and Simoni
    TTer - bit like asking a kid for their favourite vegetable but I'll go for Millar
    Classics - Boonen or Bettini
    Sprinter - Robbie McEwen
    Climber - Simoni, Sastre

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    GT winner : Lemond
    TTer - Boredman
    Classics - Kelly
    Sprinter - Cav
    Climber - Millar
    Domestique - Yates

I'll add track rider - Obree

It would all change next time you ask me. Depends on the book I'm reading :0)
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm going to exclude all the guys who were around in the 80s, but they'd fill up a lot of these slots (LeMond**, Kelly, Roche, Millar, Abdu, Nijdam, Hampsten, Argentin etc)

GC winner: Sastre, Ullrich, (I'd add Evans, had he won one)
    TT: Boardman
    Classics winner: Bettini / O'Grady (one for each type of classic)
    Sprinter: Cavendish (also McEwen and Mario)
    Climber: Jalabert - not really a climber, but he won KOM twice, so I'll fit him in here
    Domestique: Geraint Thomas, Voigt, Vansevenant, Durand

**All time favourite
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    My favourite climber was Eros Poli - gives hope to us all :) (Ventoux, 1994)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I've split my answers into 2 categories, probably doped and probably clean

GT winner :Indurain/Lemond
    TTer - Indurain/Boardman
    Classics - Kelly/O'Grady
    Sprinter - Abdou/Cav
    Climber - Pantani/Vaughters
    Domestique - Neil Stephens/Millar

Ps I know Vaughters allegedly used the "Hot Sauce" at one stage but I am hoping he was clean when he set the record up Ventoux riding for CA.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    After much reflection and soul-searching...

GT Winner: Savoldelli - If you win a GT on downhills, you have my vote!
    TT: Zabriskie - soooooooo smooth
    Classics: Ballan (I'm too young for Kelly)
    Sprinter: Tom Steels - that bottle-throwing incident tipped the scales in his favour
    Climber: Contador (I'd have said Rasmussen, but...)
    Domestique: Jose Vincente Garcia Acosta

I'd add another category, personally.

Baroudeur: Jackie Durand
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    GT Winner: Greg Lemond
    TTer: Boardman
    Classic winner: Cav
    Sprinter: Abdujaparov
    Climber: Luis Herrera (he's South American like me and h could cilmb really well.)
    Domestique: George Hincapie

My favourite current rider is Danilo Di Luca, I really like aggressive style of riding being prepared to lose in order to win (if you know what I mean).
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    GT winner: Ja ja Jalabert

TTer: Once squad(team), not an individual time trial fan. Comments anyone for this.....,

Classics: Andrea Taffi

Sprinter: Eric Vanderaerden

Climber: Marco Pantani

Domestique: Luc Leblanc
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • What about Nicole Cook as a GT winner? And possibly classics as well. I've already added my two-penneth worth earlier. I just feel she deserves an honourable mention.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    GT winner: Sastre - of the one's I've followed (rather than read about) his victory last year was particularly sweet: a humble guy, executed a well thought through plan as part of a team in a great race

TT-er: Zabriskie - as much about off the bike as on it

Classics: Cunego

Sprinter Djamoladine Abdoujaparov - my main memory of watching the tour sat on my dad's knee

Climber: If I can't go for Sastre again probably Andy Schleck

Domestique: Hincapie or Voigt
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    knedlicky wrote:
    GT. Merckx (not old enough to know of his first few but by his last couple I was well aware of his supremacy). Hinault not far behind for me, though.

TT: Lemond (perhaps not the ultimate TT rider, but his Champs Elysee victory was so special and also it introduced new techniques)

Classic: Museeuw (De Vlaeminck was before my time but I imagine as impressive)

Spinter: Cipollini (the man had charm as well as nouse and character)

Climber: Virenque (doping or not, he was a good climber, partly because he understood tactics and was also an attacker. Van Impe, Herrera and Pantani were better climbers but didn’t ride with tactics and were sometimes too reticent until late on during a climb.)

Domestique: Bolts (did everything to help Ullrich)

The categories should also include Allrounder: definitely Jalabert, for others maybe Kelly

and ‘Combatative’: the likes of Dekker, Voigt, and my choice, Durand

I am old enough to say Fausto Coppi but the Welsh Dragon said the last 2 decades

GT...Miguel Indurain
    TT ...Alex Zulle
    Early Classics ..Johan Museeuw
    Later Classics...Paolo Bettini
    Sprinter..Mario Cippollini
    Climber.. Gilberto Simoni
    Domestique.. Gerard Rue

Indurain for GT, TT, and Climber where the wheel suckers like Le Blanc and Rominger would hang on and then nip by for the stage win. (that reminds me of Bruyneel as well)
    Indurain could go in as a good Domestique for the work he put in for Pedro Delgado.

To my way of thinking Franco Ballerini was a three time Winner of Paris-Roubaix and his First Win should have been 1993 when he stormed past everybody except the Wheel Sucker Gilbet Duclos Lassalle who had the cheek to take him on in a sprint.
    Say no more it's a French Event and the winning tyre of course had to be French.
    Daylight Robbery.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    FOAD wrote:
    Looks like we need another thread on who is your favourite non-doper in each category.

Lance.

I'll get my coat.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    GT Winner: Lance Armstrong
    TTer: Chris Boardman
    Classics rider: Sean Kelly
    Sprinter:Mark Cavendish
    Climber: Carlos Sastre
    Domestique (unsung hero?): all of them
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    GT winner: Carlos Sastre
    TT: Chris Boardman
    Classics: Paolo Bettini
    Sprinter: Mark Cavendish
    Climber: Carlos Sastre again
    Domestique: Sean Yates
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    GT: Pantani
    TT Ullrich - a man at one with his bike
    Classics Bettini
    Sprint Cipollini
    Climber Pantani
    Domestique JV Garcia Acosta/J L Arrietta/The Hulse
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    There are simply too many to choose....

GT: Lemond (1989 changed my life forever!)
    TT: Lemond (See above)
    Classics: Sean 'Certainly' Kelly, Eric Van Lanker (loved that Panasonic strip), Tom Boonen
    Sprint: Olaf Ludwig (The original super sprinter), Tom Steels, Boonen, Mcwan, and Super Cav. Wilfried Nelisson and Abdou (get honorable mentions for their classic face plants)
    Climber: Fabio Parra, Luis Herrera, Alvaro Mejia, Gert Jan Theunisse, Pedro Delgado, Robert Millar, Marino Lajarreta
    Domestique: Sean Yates (The big man from Forrest Row, eh Paul?), Claude Criquielion, Raul Alcala, Steve Bauer (remember the laid back Merckx, or was it the Caloi?), Thierry Marie
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    For current cyclists only:

GT Winner: Carlos Sastre
    TTer: Fabian Cancellara
    Classics rider: Oscar Freire
    Sprinter: Robbie McEwen / Cavendish
    Climber: Andy Schleck
    Domestique (unsung hero?): Chris Horner

If we're going backa few decades like you said, I'd put Andy Hampsten, Greg Lemond, Lance Armstrong in there along with Gilberto Simoni.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    eh wrote:
    But you miss the point that David Millar hasn't really won anything important since the EPO stuff.

What and you don't think that Rober Millar wasn't properly prepared either? Try reading Graham Obree's book and the story is also re-quoted in a "search for Rober Millar".

...one could argue gottheteeshirt raced in an era in the 80s before EPO was around so the resuts were a more accurate reflection onf ability than the 90s...a suppose gottheteeshirt will have his own secrets

millar won a stage of the Vuelta and Paris nice after his ban...not bad going, and 2nd to the german drug user in the 08 TDF long TT...so don't agree DM is only a product of EPO...a talented rider without it
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Dave_1 wrote:
    eh wrote:

...one could argue gottheteeshirt raced in an era in the 80s before EPO was around so the resuts were a more accurate reflection onf ability than the 90s...a suppose gottheteeshirt will have his own secrets

millar won a stage of the Vuelta and Paris nice after his ban...not bad going, and 2nd to the german drug user in the 08 TDF long TT...so don't agree DM is only a product of EPO...a talented rider without it

Maybe but it's impossible to say. For one thing some guys react much better to drugs than others. So it's possible that DM got mroe benefit from the drugs than other riders, or less we can't know. Especially since he's also older now and riders typically don't have long careers anyway.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Did you see the Dauphiné's second stage? Are we still wondering if Millar can ride clean? You try getting away where he did!
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    GT winner: Alberto Contador (cool name)
    TT: Spartacus
    Classics: Sean Kelly
    Sprinter: Cav
    Climber: Pantani (beauty on a bike)
    Domestique: my wife (challenged)