Best way to warm up for first 10 mile TT?

Condormoment
Condormoment Posts: 29
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
This might seem an odd question, bear with me. I've finally decided to enter my first ever organised event, a 10m TT on Thursday evening, and been finding really superb advice for a TT rookie on this site and elsewhere. Thing is; to get to the start means either a 14 mile medium intensity ride which is fine, no problem, or chucking the bike in the car and driving. If I ride, I'm concerned that I wont be able to get back home again after maxxing it on the TT (I get the feeling that most people who try hard enough on a TT are trashed afterwards). If I drive, what is the advice for warming up? Getting there early and doing the course beforehand? What do you guys do to warm up? Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds like a perfect warm up and recovery to me!

Spinning the legs afterwards is very important for recovery, If you think you may struggle, drive there and do a good warm up and add a couple of 5 minute intervals at TT effort or just below and afterwards just spin for a few mins...
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    This might seem an odd question, bear with me. I've finally decided to enter my first ever organised event, a 10m TT on Thursday evening, and been finding really superb advice for a TT rookie on this site and elsewhere. Thing is; to get to the start means either a 14 mile medium intensity ride which is fine, no problem, or chucking the bike in the car and driving. If I ride, I'm concerned that I wont be able to get back home again after maxxing it on the TT (I get the feeling that most people who try hard enough on a TT are trashed afterwards). If I drive, what is the advice for warming up? Getting there early and doing the course beforehand? What do you guys do to warm up? Thanks.

Any pubs on the route home? That might make the trip back easier.

Cheers, Andy

ps and take some lights too..
  • ha ha. Thanks Andy. Yes, lots of pubs, but none that you'd want to go into in cycling gear and cleats, either punchy pubs or old mans pubs, so I'll opt for taking a mobile in case I don't make it all the way home.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I used to drive to my club's Thursday night TT. Now I ride there (about 10 miles there) and it's a perfect warm up. The ride home after is a perfect warm down and is done at a leisurely pace.

I leave it all out on the course, but it doesn't take long to recover enough for the ride home.

Ride there, give yourself some time once you've finished the TT to rest up a bit before riding home and then take it easy on the way back. You'll do yourself much more good than driving.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Which 10 TT are you doing?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Bognor Regis CC (in West Sussex) organise an open 10TT event every Thursday going east along the A27 from Fontwell. www.bognorregiscyclingclub.org/id8.html. 19:30 start. Unchartered territory in all aspects for me, looking forward to it though (I think).