Skid Lids

skeggs1664
skeggs1664 Posts: 34
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
I was thinking of getting a skid lid for cross country. Opinions?
Cove Stiffe FR

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    go to a bike shop & try them on for size, they're all a little different so some will fit your head, others won't.

Met, Giro, Specialized... all the top brands do good helmets

I use a Met Kaos, cos it fits my head, is pretty lightweight & well vented.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Not a bad idea, but wait till winter. Jump lids are hot, as they typically have little ventelation, much less than xc lids which have carefully designed cooling technology.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    By skid lid I'm assuming a normal type of helmet, not a pi$$ pot, which is not really very suitable for XC rides, far too hot
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • skeggs1664
    yeah i was actually thinking of something along the lines of a pi££ pot, saw someone today shreading on one and thought "that looks hoofing!" i'm inspired by it, but going on from how hot it was today and that was with a giro xen my head was sweating mentally
    Cove Stiffe FR
  • SafeRider
    SafeRider Posts: 14
    edited June 2009
    I wear a TSG Evolution p!ss pot all year round and I absolutely love it. It's certainly a bit hotter than its more vented cousins but I do feel a little safer wearing it, and I like the fact it covers and protects the back of my head properly. It's the third hard shell helmet I've had with the previous ones being a KB Jumper and Bell Faction. They were both good but the TSG sits lower on my head and covers better, which I like. You can see here just how good the coverage is. It's superb.

IMG_0679.jpg

So yeah... They're hotter but probably provide a bit more protection than a helmet that's more air holes than actual helmet, and as I wear a helmet to protect myself I'm happier with the extra weight and heat of wearing a helmet I feel actually will protect me if I need it to.
  • skeggs1664
    I see where your coming from in the terms of having the better protection, i'm currently using a Grio Xen, which cover the back of my head as well, i think i'll just stick with the giro untill i REALLY do need a new helmet, then i'll definsatly consider a p!ss pot.
    Cove Stiffe FR
  • rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    I have a spesh s1 that has served me extremely well and will never part with it, it's dated but brill, I have just bought my wife a Fox Flux and Stif are doing them on a good sale at the mo

Walk this way...... :arrow: