Bike Insurance

JimD
JimD Posts: 11
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I've just purchased a new titanium framed bike with high end components. Total cost was £2,900. I've tried to take out insurance on my building and contents but they don't want to know. The cheapest I can find on the net is £260 through CTC. Can anybody reccommend an alternate insurer who will cover this amount? Thanks
Jim

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Direct Line

I have 13k of bike insured with them.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    M&S will cover them as part of the household insurance
  • dag_on_a_bike
    dag_on_a_bike Posts: 581
    Likewise Esure.

£2000 covered new for old at abot £50pa as a specified item on my house policy. Claims service was exemplary too when I recently had the misfortune to claim.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    M&S will cover them as part of the household insurance

Don't M&S cover bikes up to £4K without them being specified?

Otherwise name them individually on your house contents policy. Churchill were good when my Brompton L6 was stolen in 2004. They sorted out my claim pretty quickly so I got a a replacement plus all the bits I had put on it and a new D Abus Granite X Plus lock (broken lock was Kryptonite :(:( ). My bikes are covered anywhere in UK and maybe even Europe (not sure on EU) provided they are locked up with a sold secure D-lock.

I would spend a decent amount on locks/security given the value of your bike is nearly £3k. Maybe even worth fitting a tracker. 10-15% is what I would spend on security. x2 Abus Granites come to £150 which is 10-15% of the value of my road commuting touring bike, so 15% of yours is £450.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.