campag, shimano, sram shifting mechanisms.

fergyorbea
fergyorbea Posts: 116
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
This is not the typical which is better post, I wanted to know how you actually shift with each STI/ergo etc and also if there are any benefits of one system over another, other than appearances.

For example, which is clickiest?/easiest?smoothest?

Help would be appreaciated as I'm thinking of buying either sram rival, campag centaur or ultegra sl groupset.

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I have Campag Centaur 2009 and its very smooth and not at all clicky like older Campag stuff.It shifts very well too.
    I also have a new 105 groupset on my cyclo cross which I use for work and winter training.Its the first decent Shimano groupset I've owned.Its very easy to shift as the gear lever movement is a bit more positive than the Campag, the downfall though for me is that you can only down shift one gear at a time, with Campag you can change down nearly the whole cassette in one go.
    If I'd had a choice about groupset on my cyclo cross I would have changed to Campag just because the chains and cassettes seem to last longer and also prices of Shimano is bordering on expensive.
    SRAM I've not used but it seems to use ideas from both Shimano and Campag, this is more likely than not to get around patents though rather than choice?