Ust rims

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Are they worthwhile, is it much hassle to switch tyres and i take it im limited as to what tyres i can run.

I take it i have to run stans with them?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    If anything you can run more tyres ;) You can use tubed tyres on every UST wheelset I've ever seen, with a tube obviously.

Swapping tyres if just a matter of deflating, popping the old one off, sticking the new one on and inflating. I'd advise using Stans, although you shouldn't need it with proper UST tyres it'll only add 20g or so per end and add puncture protection.

I personally like using Tubeless Ready/2bliss type tyres which require sealant as they come in about the same weight as standard tyres. They'll leak air slowly at first but it quickly seals up with a few rides, once they're sealed you only need a very small amount of sealant to keep them going. When I swap I just pour away the old Stans (or Joes in my case) solution and pour a bit in the new tyre, I use miles less than everyone else seems to recommend so it lasts for ages.