Which bike do I buy? Advice please...

tuff1986
tuff1986 Posts: 7
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have been riding mountain bikes regularly for almost 4 years and have decided now is the time to get myself a road bike as well! Although this will be my first road bike, I am still looking to spend a fair bit of money on one as I always believe a better machine will benefit me in the future. So far I have been looking at the following bikes:

Orbea Onix 2009
Specialized Tarmac (Comp or Expert) 2009
Specialized Roubaix (Comp or Expert) 2009
Trek Madone 4.5 2009

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

I wont be entering any races in the near future but I want a bike that I will want to ride time and time again and something that feels that little bit special. I expect to cover alot of miles so I dont know if that helps with the decision?

Please let me know what you think and hopefully it can help me come to a decision so I can get out riding as soon as possible!

Many thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Welcome to the forum!

Get to your local bike shops and ride what they have, get a feel for what you prefer. Decide which shop offers the best service and let that influence your decision.

The Trek will probably be best out of those for longer rides as it is a very comfortable frame. IMO of course.

If you wait a few weeks the 2010 models will be out so deals can be had on 09s.

(Cue a queue of Specialized and Orbea fans raving about how good their own bikes are and that you should choose them because they did. I don't have a trek by the way...)
  • tuff1986
    Thanks for your reply. I live near newcastle and have found the stock held in my LBS to be fairly limited, especially when looking towards higher end bikes. I wont rush into buying one, at least thats what I keep telling myself but may end up buying a bike without actually riding it... This is also due to the fact that I find the long interest free periods that alot of websites offer mean I can afford to get an expensive bike much more easily. I did this with my Marin Mount Vision that I bought in August last year. I would be happier overall if I could get a bike locally but I think the payment options websites offer will swing it for me... I know that a couple of LBS do stock the Orbea Onix but I havent checked what other stock some of them carry to be honest so I should really check that out.

I love the look of the Trek thats for sure! And i think a comfortable bike would suit me better for those longer rides I intend to do with it.

Will the 2010 bikes be out so soon? I normally expect them a bit later in the year, say Autumn?
  • I had test rides on the Roubaix, Madone & Onix and chose the Roubaix. Obviously it`s a personal thing (one mans meat is another mans poison, etc) but the Roubaix will be best for long rides (in my opinion of course).

Try them all out and make your choice and haggle! You should get the Trek or Roubaix for the £1500 mark if you`re paying cash/credit card. Obviously you will struggle to get any deal if you are to finance the bike as you have stated this will be your preferred option.

It`s a lot of money so choose wisely oh, and happy hunting!
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Buy the bike that best suits your needs and what impresses you most on the test ride. I could go on for ages about my 07 Onix but as Nap says it is a personal preference so I can't be totally objective. I have tested a Roubaix and I found the position too upright I much prefer a stretched out ride(I use a 120mm stem on the Onix and might increase it in the future). A guy I know has a Madone 4.5 and likes the frame but found the wheels cr*p so changed them over for Mavics.
  • Anonymous
    Just to let you know, my LBS has a Madone 4.7 for 1200 quid...

Yes, the one with full Ultegra/compact chainset...
  • tuff1986
    Really?! And its an 09 model? Whats the name of your LBS? Please tell me they do good finance packages ha! The more I look at the Trek the more it wins me over. I know you probably shouldnt judge a bike by the way it looks but have ready good things about them and I cant see it being the totally wrong bike for me anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Tuff, at the price point you are looking at, all the bikes are good, choosing on the way it looks is a perfectly valid selection process!

It's a 2008 model which is exactly the same as the 2009 model except for the paint. They only have the one size which is a 54 BTW...

trek-madone-47-compact-2008-road-bike.jpg
  • tuff1986
    That does seem like a bargain!! I am about 6ft 1 so do you know if that size would be any good? What is the name of the shop?

I'm glad you agree, I just always want somethin that I am going to be happy to look at every time I see it. I know some people would say thats daft but we all have our preferences.

Cheers,

Tuff
  • Anonymous
    Too small for you my man :(

I'm 6'2 and I ride a 59cm bike...

I think you'll be surprised how many people are of the same way of thinking. Over a grand there are no bad bikes, just ones that are more suited for different purposes!
  • tuff1986
    Yeah bit of a shame, was just looking at sizes and a 58 for the Madone would probably be best for me?

Thanks for letting me know though, I would still be happy to go for the 09 model (especially if prices get reduced soon) as long as I can persuade myself that I can afford the monthly payments without too much hassle. I am still paying for my Marin Mount Vision until around August next year but I want a good road bike so much!

Thanks for your advice so far mate!

Tuff
  • Marcosplace
    Marcosplace Posts: 103
    Giant tcr advanced is at great ride at £1500
  • tuff1986
    Well after a bit more deliberation I think I have narrowed my choice down to the Trek Madone 4.5 or 4.7 (both 09 models). Obviously there is around a £400 price difference between the 2 bikes so I am wondering if that extra money is worth it for the 4.7?

Also if anyone has any of these bikes, what do you think of them?

All advice will be much appreciated.

Tuff!