Which D-Lock

Brduk
Brduk Posts: 90
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've just ordered up my new bike, and reckon I should get a D-Lock ASAP. I've been looking about and would like opinions on this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Squire_Alpha_290mm_D-Lock/5360040610/ and would also appreciate any recommendations and advice.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Personally I wouldn't buy that lock, due to the cylinder type key/lock. Some locks with that type of lock can be opened with a bic pen top.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    spend approximately 10% of the value of your bike on a lock normally, or insure it and get the cheapest lock on the approved lock list.
  • Brduk
    Is this any better? http://www.parker-international.co.uk/9790/Kryptonite-KryptoLok-Series-2-Std.html or does it rely on similar principles?
    Andy_B wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't buy that lock, due to the cylinder type key/lock. Some locks with that type of lock can be opened with a bic pen top.
    [/url]
  • Brduk
    Ouch, £70+ p&p is a bit steep for a £300 bike that will spend 99.9% of it's lifetime indoors (when not being used obviously). The only time i'll have it locked up is when I go into the post office for 10 minutes each day Mon-Fri.

Anyone got any other recommendations?
    timmys wrote:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    For a £300 bike I would spend at least £40 on a lock.

It can take less than 10mins to disable some locks and no one walking by would bat an eyelid if someone was breaking the lock open.

If you want to keep your bike spend as much as you can on a lock, even if it is only gonna be locked up for 10 mins a day.

The local scrotes may notice that the same bike is in the same place at the same time so they could target your bike as they know when & where it will be.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Brduk
    Okay, I went to my local bike shop and using the calculation of 10% of bike value, I picked up a £30 D-Lock for my £300 bike.

However, now that i'm home and have been on the net, i've found the exact same lock on ebay for a tenner http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metalok-1000-Supermax-Mountain-Bike-D-U-Lock-with-Keys_W0QQitemZ300296305925QQcmdZViewItem. Aside from feeling ripped off by the LBS, i'm thinking this makes a mockery of the 10% of bike value calculation, as this is very much dependent on the retailer and how much profit they intend to make on their stock.

Anyone reckon I should go back to the LBS and ask for my money back?
  • davebarrie
    davebarrie Posts: 202
    Ebay will always be able to out-price any bike shop. I would personally support the bike shop (especially if it's an independent) and just pay full whack.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Andy_B wrote:

Don't worry in this case, Squire don't sell any locks with that design. It's probably not an especially strong lock mind.
    davebarrie wrote:
    Ebay will always be able to out-price any bike shop

Yeah, but within reason... Think this is pretty shoddy in this case, personally I'd be taking it back.

But yeah, Brduk, you've nailed one of the big problems with the "10% rule", price is no indicator of value at all. Especially with locks, where an awful lot of companies are knowingly selling absolute cack.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Brduk
    I've had the thought of taking the lock back and diplomatically asking for a credit note to buy something else. However, looking at their helmets for example, again their prices are above the £RRP (according to competitors websites).

I'm beginning to think I should just "brass-neck it" and go in with printouts and ask for a refund.
    Northwind wrote:
    davebarrie wrote:
    Ebay will always be able to out-price any bike shop

Yeah, but within reason... Think this is pretty shoddy in this case, personally I'd be taking it back.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I apologise for the 10% thing, it does work if you qualify it with 10% at RRP from a respected manufacturer...
  • Brduk
    edited June 2009
    I apologise for the 10% thing, it does work if you qualify it with 10% at RRP from a respected manufacturer...
    No problem mate, it's the LBS that owe me the apology for selling over the RRP.

Anyway, i've taken the lock back and managed to browbeat the guy into a credit note for a helmet. But in the meantime I still need to pick up a lock, I was thinking that I could get the same Metalok (made by Magnum according to Supersonic) for a tenner or I could get a Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 for £20 delivered41BI0EyIZ1L._SS500_.jpg

Another contender is the Abus Buffo 34

31maby8hriL._SS500_.jpg

Also the Onguard Pitubull

41bw5DB3kmL._SS500_.jpg

What do you guys reckon? any experience of these D-Locks?
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    davebarrie wrote:
    Ebay will always be able to out-price any bike shop. I would personally support the bike shop (especially if it's an independent) and just pay full whack.

Do you own a bike shop by any chance?

If not, then WTF are you on???? :wink:
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Brduk
    Anyone got any experience of, or opinions on the D-Locks above?
  • I use this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Krypt ... 360021016/

Light enough to carry in your rucksack (Don't attach it to your frame though. The bracket will take the paint off). I've never had a bike stolen whilst using it so I guess it does the job!!!

I'm sure any of those above would serve as a deterent to the opportunist thief whilst you spend 10 mins in the PO. Obviously, I can't take any responsibility should this happen though!
  • Brduk
    Kryptonite locks seem to have a good name, so i'm leaning towards the Series 2 pictured above, seems good value at £20 delivered. To be fair to my local LBS (who I have been quite disparaging about) the bloke there said carrying a D-Lock in my backpack would be more advisable than on the frame, so thanks for some confimation.

Again, i'd welcome opinions on the above locks, particularly if any are to be avoided.
    I use this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Krypt ... 360021016/

Light enough to carry in your rucksack (Don't attach it to your frame though. The bracket will take the paint off). I've never had a bike stolen whilst using it so I guess it does the job!!!

I'm sure any of those above would serve as a deterent to the opportunist thief whilst you spend 10 mins in the PO. Obviously, I can't take any responsibility should this happen though!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I always used two locks with my bike - a good D lock, and a long cable lock (which secures other parts than can be easily lifted off by a passer by).

The Halfords 35 quid Gold D lock got very good reviews
  • Brduk
    Yeah, i've thought about that, way, way back, in a time now forgotten, I came out of my work to discover two urchins trying to work out how to remove the front wheel from my good ol Diamondback (even though it had a quick release lever lol) they had it part of the way off as I just happened to step out and catch them in the act. "aww it's a really cool bike mr" (which it was lol) did'nt wash, I had to find alternative storage.

Have you got a link to the Halfords *spit* lock?

Also, would appreciate your considered opinion on the ones above.
    supersonic wrote:
    I always used two locks with my bike - a good D lock, and a long cable lock (which secures other parts than can be easily lifted off by a passer by).

The Halfords 35 quid Gold D lock got very good reviews
  • Big dave 3
    Big dave 3 Posts: 304
    This seems strong & at a bargain price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ukdeals-21

It seems that the bracket is crap though.

But I'd carry th elock in a bag for that price!

I paid £60-70 for an Abus one as well as £40 ish krptonite one plus a chain! Im paranoid after someone cut through one lock but not the second when the bike was outside my gym :evil:
    /

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • Which one did they manage to cut through?
  • fingerbike
    fingerbike Posts: 26
    Run a kryptonite Mini Evolution and a reasonably thick Specialized Cable lock, U lock goes around post and rear wheel between the rear triangle, cable lock through both wheels, frame and around post.. not exceptionally heavy as you can space the weight around the bike, but quite secure as I think a thief is going to be less inclined to go for a bike running two locks... found these guys to be cheapest: http://cyclexpress.co.uk/categories/Bike_Accessories/Bike_Locks.aspx
  • Brduk
    Yeah, the onguard pitbull is in the four i'm considering, would be good to hear from anyone who has experience of either the Magnum Metalok LS 1000, Kryptonite Series 2, Onguard Pitbull or Abus Buffo 34.

Which of your locks was cut?
    Big dave 3 wrote:

It seems that the bracket is crap though.

But I'd carry th elock in a bag for that price!

I paid £60-70 for an Abus one as well as £40 ish krptonite one plus a chain! Im paranoid after someone cut through one lock but not the second when the bike was outside my gym :evil:
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Big dave 3 wrote:

Lose the affiliate tag:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y170EE

Sainsburys have a 16mm one for £12.99, same thickness as the £80 Kryptonite jobs.

13mm is not so great realy.