cassette

05rw
05rw Posts: 9
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
i am completely new to mtb and have recently brought a cheap apollo fs 26 in ch with 18 gears. i intended to do it up whne money became available. i ask if i can fit a 8 or 9 spped cassette in the same size gap as a 6 speed or do you need a bigger or wider frame. also do i need a new chain

Comments

• I'd recommend you leave the apollo as it is and save your cash for something a bit...... better?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    bigbenj is right I'm afraid, you pretty much need to upgrade every part of that bike :cry: I wouldn't even look at the drivetrain, 18 speed was fine for me when I was a teenager and it's still fine now tbh, as long as it's got a decent range of gears. 27 speed is nice and quality gears really work far better than basic ones but 18-speed will still do the job.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok lets look at the total picture.

You have an Apollo MTB and you want to increase the gears and also fit disc brakes http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
    i bet new gear levers will also be needed. Now you have a 6 speed bike. that is unlikely to have a cassette fitting. so you will need a new rear wheel.....

Sod all that and keep the money in the bank and enjoy what you have an save up for a better bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown