Commuting to lose weight.

2»

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    +1 for a litre of water at the end of the ride. Put a bottle of fresh cold stuff on your desk and drink as you want, you'll surprise yourself with how much you down.

I'd be careful with that strategy, Team Columbia drink very little immediately after a training ride as it can lead to muscle inflamation and therefore soreness. If you drink regularly during the commute you shouldn't need to drink loads afterwards. I always use the pee test, if it's light straw coloured then my hydration is fine and I drink normally through the day.

As for nutrition I used to get cravings for sugary foods mid morning, mid afternon and late evening. I've now switched to six small meals a day and the cravings are slowly going. My routine is

Commute 22 miles
    Brekky - weetabix with whey protein milk & honey
    Mid morning - pasta (about a handful) with tuna or similar, plus fruit
    Lunch - sarnies - usually tuna or cheese, plus fruit
    Mid afternoon - more pasta (another handful) with peppers & pesto & nuts & seeds
    Commute home
    Dinner - normally past or rice based
    late evening snack - a couple of rounds of toast

This seems to work pertty well for me, and has got rid of the cravings, which I assume were down to low blood suger levels. I drink when I feel I need it, still drink green tea and coffee and have the occasional treat. I'm not sure about weight loss but my body shape is definately changing, and any weight loss usually isn't very far behind.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    You could try cycling home again too? It'll save a train fare, and whilst the wether is this good!

Seriously though, you'll get used to it very quickly (maybe a month), then never look back. Online calorie calculators reckon that I'm burning well over an extra 3000 cal a day with the commute, and thats pretty hard to come by even if you're constantly grazing.

Apart from that, +1 for water. Aviod processed foods. cook from fresh, plenty of veg, pasta, rices, coucous etc,
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've eaten two carrots this afternoon. They're not getting me anywhere near home, so I have a banana at the ready.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    c12345 wrote:
    Online calorie calculators reckon that I'm burning well over an extra 3000 cal a day with the commute,

Which is clearly a problem.

The first one I came across told me I was going to burn almost 2,000 cals today on the the bike.

Well if that's true and my base metabolic rate is at LEAST another 2,000 then I'm looking at a whopping 4K calories for the day.

Let's say I eat 2 K cals worth which isn't far off the truth.

That leaves with me a daily net calorific deficeit of 2 K calories - brilliant - I'll drop a KG in a couple of days.

Obvioulsy not as if I eat 2K cals a day and cycle 150 miles a week my weight will be dead flat.

I don't believe online calorie calculators....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    c12345 wrote:
    You could try cycling home again too? It'll save a train fare, and whilst the wether is this good!

Seriously though, you'll get used to it very quickly (maybe a month), then never look back. Online calorie calculators reckon that I'm burning well over an extra 3000 cal a day with the commute, and thats pretty hard to come by even if you're constantly grazing.

Apart from that, +1 for water. Aviod processed foods. cook from fresh, plenty of veg, pasta, rices, coucous etc,

how far do you cycle? I'd be VERY sceptical of that figure unless you are doing hours and hours per day.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    3000 calories suggests about 50-60 miles a day, give or take? I calculated I burn 700-800 cals for a 14 mile round trip.
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    I do 50 miles a day at an average speed of 20-21 mph.
    I also eat a fair bit more than is recommended for an adult male.

if kev2b3 did the return journey, hes not so far off this.
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    Greg T wrote:
    c12345 wrote:
    Online calorie calculators reckon that I'm burning well over an extra 3000 cal a day with the commute,

The first one I came across told me I was going to burn almost 2,000 cals today on the the bike.

Well if that's true and my base metabolic rate is at LEAST another 2,000 then I'm looking at a whopping 4K calories for the day.

That leaves with me a daily net calorific deficeit of 2 K calories - brilliant - I'll drop a KG in a couple of days.

Obvioulsy not as if I eat 2K cals a day and cycle 150 miles a week my weight will be dead flat.

Online calculators are flawed but not all bad. You’re probably burning about 1000cal extra a day, based on a decent speed for your 2 way 15m commute. I know I sound like a no-it-all but maybe, based on your 1,800cal limit a day and presumed extra 1,000, you may be eating too little and be putting yourself in starvation mode. Just putting it out there, maybe 2,500-3000cal aday would be better. Something to think about :wink:
  • Greg T
    Rockbuddy wrote:
    you may be eating too little and be putting yourself in starvation mode. Just putting it out there, maybe 2,500-3000cal aday would be better.

Now that was a great two weeks.

I tried the eat more to lose weight plan last summer and it was great.

I was "forcing" 3K cals a day down me and loving it. It made absolutely no difference to my weight however - which was disappointing as welsh cakes with your afternoon coffee are just great.

I find that unless I am sub 2K calories a day I'm flat on weight.

I can't be the only one.....

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg T wrote:
    c12345 wrote:

Ohh, I'm pretty sure they exist alright.

Look, you're overthinking this. All that sugar in your diet is spinning the brain-noodle waaaay too fast.

It's much easier than you think.

Food in < poo out + exercise = weight loss
    Food in > poo out + exercise = weight gain.

It's pretty plain that you're neglecting the "poo out" part of the equation.

FOCUS!!!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Rockbuddy
    Greg T wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:
    you may be eating too little and be putting yourself in starvation mode. Just putting it out there, maybe 2,500-3000cal aday would be better.

Now that was a great two weeks.

I tried the eat more to lose weight plan last summer and it was great.

I was "forcing" 3K cals a day down me and loving it. It made absolutely no difference to my weight however - which was disappointing as welsh cakes with your afternoon coffee are just great.

I find that unless I am sub 2K calories a day I'm flat on weight.

I can't be the only one.....

OK :D ... so the personal question is...do you need to loose weight?

Mmm, Welsh cakes, I'd never had one before I came to live in Cardiff but love em now....Have to admit I have plateaued with weight loss but I kinda haven't been watching what I eat...Mmm Welsh cakes :wink: Yeah I don't think I could eat less than 2000cals a day :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    My weight loss was going great guns until I started necking 1 x 750 ml bottle of Torq each day i'm not sure what's in it but it clearly enough to tip the balance the wrong way.

Nothing to do with the vast numbers of pints of Guinness because there's no way that could be to blame :roll:

I really don't want to go down the calorie counting road before you know it you're cutting out food even when you're hungry, very silly I think i'd rather be chunky thanks.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Have you seen him?

That song by the Automatic, Monster, that was written about him, you know.

"What's that coming over the hill
    Is it a monster
    Is it a monster?"

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Have you seen him? He tests the corners of snooks' widest wide angle lens.

That song by the Automatic, Monster, that was written about him, you know.

"What's that coming over the hill
    Is it a monster
    Is it a monster?"

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Have you seen him?

I'll shout this so your Port soaked mind can take it all in

RAM IT.

Other Greg blows goats as a hobby - I know this as ITB told me so.

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Have you seen him?

RAM IT.

:D:D:D

Aren't you wasting valuable fridge-foraging time?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Have you seen him?

RAM IT.

I said "blows" Gargamel's cat tsk! :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

Have you seen him?

RAM IT.

I said "blows" Gargamel's cat tsk! :wink:

Have you two been behind the bike sheds talking dirty to each other again... tsk tsk. :P

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:
    Have you two been behind the bike sheds talking dirty to each other again... tsk tsk. :P

I'd talk dirty to you but what with your foppish public schoolboy background it would just feel like being back at Eton being fagged.

• Rockbuddy
    :D This thread's suddenly become interesting :lol::lol::lol:

At least made me laugh for a few minutes before I realised I should be getting on with some work :(:wink:
  • cjcp
    Welsh cakes. With or without butter, it's food of the Gods. My grandmother makes brilliant ones.

I did a 2.5k run at the gym this morning - it's all I could manage before feeling like I was going to pass out. However, between that, the carrots yesterday afternoon, the soup, the extra 6.7 miles last night round the Park, there is now daylight between my weight and the 12.5st mark. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • On 1st Jan 09 I weighed in at 87kg (13st 10lb)...this was not a good weight for my 6'1" frame as it put my BMI at 26 (overweight).

I then embarked on an army fitness regime and a fast - no white grain, alcohol, sugary snacks or red meat. Before thinking "sod this for a game of soldiers, I'm gonna cycle to work". I now cycle 11.5 miles each way almost every day (probably 4-4.5 days a week on ave).

I have stopped fasting but do eat relatively sensibly, bowl of muesli after the morning commute, pasta or rice at lunch with fresh veg and some meat or fish. I drink more than the recommended weekly amount for an adult male (27 units).

I now weigh in at 78kg (12st 3lb) and my BMI is 23 (higher end of normal). I feel a lot better for it, and I believe I can maintain this weight if I continue to cycle to work. However, further weight loss will I believe require either more exercise or more dietary concessions. I'm not sure I am prepared to go there but would like to get my weight down to about 72 kg.
  • Quirky
    Quirky Posts: 123
    cyclings no good OP

not unless you are going to stretch out hard 40 milers 3 times a week

get used to it

running is the answer, no questions asked....i commute to keep fit, i run to lose weight

Not strictly true, it may work for you but I hate running and I've lost 21lbs since New Year from cycling alone.
    weight.png
  • Rockbuddy
    According to the BMI I am obese :cry:

I'm just big bonned, honest :wink:
  • Greg T
    Rockbuddy wrote:

BMI is guff

FACT

• Rockbuddy
    Greg T wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

BMI is guff

FACT

Yeah I don't believe in BMI either, it doesn't take into account big bones :wink:
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    Rockbuddy wrote:

BMI is guff

FACT

+1. But I would used an adjective stronger than "guff".
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    +1 to "big boned". I have to be big boned to carry my big gut. My weight hasn't changed for over a year now, after losing 20kg, but my shape is still changing. Perhaps I'm morphing? :?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Back to the calory counting on the bike computer. They seem to have an algorythm which links time with a burn rate (or at least the cheap ones do) which flatters the abilities of most riders. If you are riding at a relaxed pace, that is not breathing audibly, you are "burning" very little fuel. Current advice is that you have to sweat to benefit, not difficult today.

The appetite thing is likely connected to the fresh air and activity you have just undertaken, not neccessarily connected to any depletion of your reserves of energy. Sitting in the garden in the sunshine (as I have been this afternoon) will give me plenty of appetite for my evening meal. No excercise involved, just normal greed.

BTW I hope you have spoken to your doctor about the changes you have begun, you may have other issues that might need addressing :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was