my beer label - corel draw expertise needed

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
'ere ya go

wanrcliffe%20warrior.JPG

The label so far for my homebrew that i'll be drinking in Fort William next weekend.
But!! How the hell do i make the white around the three pics go away? I've tried cutting the part of the image I want out but it pastes it as a square; as in the label here. I've tried erasing those parts of the image... Not sure what to try next.

It's looking good by the way :) Still fermenting nicely.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    You and my mate, who's 98 years old, are the only people alive on earth using Corel and he says:
    put each photo into photo-paint, crop the white off, use the 'lasso mask tool' (second tool down on the left hand side) - save the 'new' photo as new document and then place them back onto the flag - you'll end up then with 3 new photos that you can drag and drop onto the flag
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Paste as transparent image? Transparent background? Not done big things like this myself so not 100% sure.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Need to layer it on top (I use Paint Shop ProX) then simply erase the white. When done, flatten the image via options.

The magic wand tool may even grab jsut the bit you want.

Good work, like it!

Wharncliffe has a H in it ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cant believe you didnt call it sheepsteeth :roll:
  • bluechair84
    I'll have you know that Corel draw is a world leading picture editing suit.............. That and Paint. I know this because I use them.

And the name is still debateable - But this is a guddun so far.

I'll give the tips a try tonight. Heading back into the sun 8)
  • blister pus
    I'll have you know that Corel draw is a world leading picture editing suit.............. That and Paint. I know this because I use them.
    My mate who's 98 sez the same ting!
    Heading back into the sun 8)
    All right for themz who aren't already burnt tomato lobster stylee. 8)
  • bluechair84
    My mate who's 98 sez the same ting!
    He must be an awesome biker is all I can say.

Still no joy on the pics - saving them as a seperate image and copying / importing them in, lassoing the image / magic wand hasn't worked. I can't even 'fill' the white with a colour or erase the white. I seem to be able to do very little with the image, does it need converting to something more manageable?

Just converted it to bitmap and that didn't help either. When I learnt to use it a school I'm sure I remember being really impressed with how powerful it was.
  • blister pus
    Two things come to mind 1) What version of Corel Draw is it? 2) You are using Corel Photo Paint to do this (as opposed to Corel Draw itself) ?
  • bluechair84
    Oh it's old. It'll have been around when your 98yr old friend first started using it. It's CD9....
    And yes I'm trying to edit the picture in photopaint. I've just followed some online instruction and I managed to get the part of the picture I wanted without a background. Was looking great until I imported it back into corel and it had a great big square around it still.

Peaty isn't going to be impressed is he.
  • blister pus
    You're in luck. That's around-a-bout the version my mate has. He'll be around in a bit just list everything you're doing bullet point from photopaint to draw and I'll get him to troubleshoot what you're doing wrong, if you haven't sussed it by the time he's surfaced.
  • bluechair84
    Ok, the things I have tried;

Right click image, edit in photopaint. Create a new object. Magic wand and increase the spread until entire picture is selected. Cut and drop into new object - picture is displayed over a chequered background which shows there is no image around the plant. At this point it looks to have been successfull. Save it. Import it into the original document - still has a full white background surrounding the plant.

Erasing the white in corel says that the tool cannot be used on that file type.

Not sure how to make parts 'transparent'.

Just cutting the plant out and pasting it in keeps the white square as well.

Heading out this morning but anyhelp will be greatly appreciated by Peaty and I..... I'll give it another go this eve.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Right, i have no experience with coral... must be cos i'm one of the yooofs, innit :wink:

Anyway, when i need to create a transparent backround i use paint and word.
    Copy all your individual components in to MS Word, and open the picture toolbar. Click on the transparency tool (looks like a paintbrush on a square) and then click on the white background of your images.

Now, arange all the components together how you like them, and make the picture as big on the screen as you need it.

Now do a print screen and open ms paint. Copy the printed screen i to here and crop it down and roberts your mothers brother.

A bi of a ghetto solution, but it usualy works for me.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • blister pus
    My mate sez:
    Import each picture separately into CorelPaint, using the toolbar on the left, go to the second one down (just below the 'arrow' tool) left click and hold and you will get more options, choose the third one from the left as your cutting tool.

Trace around the image of the photo, when you get back to where you started from do a double left click to finish the task, you should now see the image you have traced with a 'moving' dotted line around it.

Now go up to edit at the top of the window and select 'copy'

Go back to edit and now select 'paste' and save as new document, a new little window will open up and if you place your arrow over the image you will be able to move it around without any other background being involved.

Save this new document with whatever name you wish.

Do this method for the other photo's until you have them all saved (they will be saved as *.cpt).

Open up CorelDraw and put your flag photo in there, now import each of the *.cpt you did and place them onto the flag as required.
  • bluechair84
    Haha!
    It worked! I can't believe that I've ha to resort to bloody MS Word to finish designing a graphic.
    Can't get the final picture up just yet but once it's on the bottles I'll get a pic up.

The beer has been bottled this evening :) One more week until taste testing
  • blister pus
    Do a dummy run of the CorelDraw instructions and you should be able to do it all from there in future and you've got all your bases covered. :o
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    What is corel draw? I take A level I.T and Graphic design and I'v never used it. What is it like old school? Was there something before Photo Shop?

:D:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    bluechair84

If I get some time this evening I can probably have a go at recreating the label in photoshop for you if you like?