Why Bib Shorts?

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    sarajoy wrote:
    If I could find a women's pair which is under £50 I might consider them as I am indeed feeling the pinch a little around the waist with normal shorts!

I wear men's bib shorts to be honest. You get used to them.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I was the same when I started cycling – I am not going to wear that, was what I said!

Well, now, if I go for more than 5 miles on the bike it is bib shorts only. Comfort around the waistband, no more chilly drafts of air to your kidneys and in general just much more comfy feel. The only negative aspect is that it makes going to the toilet a pain in the back side.

Do they look daft? Well, on their own they do, but you are going to be wearing a jersey so, who cares? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    NGale wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:
    If I could find a women's pair which is under £50 I might consider them as I am indeed feeling the pinch a little around the waist with normal shorts!

Are the pads much different?
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • windbreaker
    windbreaker Posts: 91
    edited June 2009
    They stay up, as my belly pushes down shorts. They prevent builder's bum. :oops: Effective but not a pretty sight in profile. :(
  • NGale
    sarajoy wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

Are the pads much different?

I personally don't find them any different, it's worth trying on a pair to see how they feel.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I like to think of bibs vs shorts like this.

Take a nice fat sausage. That's you in bibs, that is.

Now twist it at the middle, like you are trying to make two short fat sausages. That's you in shorts, that is.

Me, I just wear them because they keep my lower back warmer. Obviously. :wink::D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • NGale
    Greg66 wrote:

Now twist it at the middle, like you are trying to make two short fat sausages. That's you in shorts, that is.

Me, I just wear them because they keep my lower back warmer. Obviously. :wink::D

I have a very weird image in my head now :shock:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:

So what you are saying is that because bib shorts make it harder to reach down to adjust things, you are less prone to the strange urge you have to play sausage origami?

You should just cycle in boxing gloves. Or get some CBT.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg66 wrote:

So what you are saying is that because bib shorts make it harder to reach down to adjust things, you are less prone to the strange urge you have to play sausage origami?

You should just cycle in boxing gloves. Or get some CBT.

Umm, the sausage represents the torso. Like in the Matrix - there is no fork - only different. Completely different in fact. Who brought that film into this.

You, OTOH, plainly have a filthy mind.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Greg66 wrote:
    Umm, the sausage represents the torso. Like in the Matrix - there is no fork

Your bike has no fork? Are you Danny Macaskill or something? Commuting like that, I would have thought that your shorts would be the least of your worries... though you might need to tie string around the legs to stop them leaking...

_
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I tend to find bib shorts a bit too warm in summer, and that they don't provide a significant enough increase in comfort to outweigh this.

Possibly I've just not used a good enough pair.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    My usual Briko ones have a deeply unattractive string vest style bib. It's actually quite good for summer riding...

The Assos ones I bought recently in a fit of curiosity have a great vent on the back that actually seems to suck air through my jersey and blast it onto my back.

This very positive effect is, however, balanced by the stupid booby front ruining any down-the-front-of-the-jersey ventilation.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Talking of sausage origami, both pairs of bib shorts I bought last week have very little in the way of modesty pad on the front, so at traffic lights I'm very conscious of ensuring certain things are as tucked away as possible, but it's really hard.

I seem to do a lot of waiting on my bike with my hands on my lap these days :?
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Yes bibs definitely for comfort. Downsides - a bit sweaty around the kidneys on very hot days (but +1 for all-year-round wearing of a good wicking base layer), a right faff to go for a wee, and difficult to rummage around inside if the 'last turkey in the shop' needs a bit of mid-ride adjustment.

And from an elementary design point of view; surely it must be possible to make them so that they don't perfectly accentuate the bay window I find myself developing as middle age gallops past me. All it would take is a slightly higher cut front - my belly is like a pig in a hammock in bibs...

Sorry, even I'm not enjoying the visuals I've just generated there....
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm very conscious of ensuring certain things are as tucked away as possible, but it's really hard.

Try thinking about your tax return or 12 times table :lol:
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    a right faff to go for a wee, and difficult to rummage around inside if the 'last turkey in the shop' needs a bit of mid-ride adjustment.
    These two aspects put me off to the extent that I have yet to try bibs.

For me I can imagine they would be fine for the commute or shorter weekend rides that don't involve pee stops, but otherwise they would be a pain. For me I reckon it would be a solution to a non-existent problem.
  • lost_in_thought
    I had a sausage sandwich for lunch. It was lovely.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Fnarr.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

I... I... I.... <thud>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248

That one's too hot for my 10 foot barge pole.
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    "Hello Mummy... I've been a good boy"

...sausage sandwich...

I... I... I.... <thud>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • NGale
    Roastiecp wrote:
    a right faff to go for a wee, and difficult to rummage around inside if the 'last turkey in the shop' needs a bit of mid-ride adjustment.

For me I can imagine they would be fine for the commute or shorter weekend rides that don't involve pee stops, but otherwise they would be a pain. For me I reckon it would be a solution to a non-existent problem.

Believe me I have seen more than one hairy arsed sailor stood at the side of the road with their bib shorts around their knees having a pee! You learn not to be embarssed when you wear bib shorts... :lol:
  • NGale

:shock:
  • AllTheGear
    That's nasty.
    ... and no idea ...

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    /Cleveland
  • AllTheGear
    Nice one Biondino, I was going to post a pic too, but I thought no, let's see how sharp people are....
    ... and no idea ...

• lost_in_thought
    :lol:

I actually did have a sausage sandwich for lunch, and it was lovely. The idea of posting that fact here rather than in the usual 'what I ate' threads tickled me...
  • AllTheGear
    Perv...
    ... and no idea ...

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    NGale wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:

Believe me I have seen more than one hairy arsed sailor stood at the side of the road with their bib shorts around their knees having a pee! You learn not to be embarssed when you wear bib shorts... :lol:
    Not embarassment I'm worried about - rather ease of access.
  • AllTheGear
    Not embarassment I'm worried about - rather ease of access.

Do what the Pros do. Just make sure I'm not on your wheel ;-)
    ... and no idea ...