Giro Stage 20 *spoiler*

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited May 2009 in Pro race
@180km to go- There are eight riders who broke away early on today and they now have 2:47 over the peloton, which is being led by Columbia and LPR. The escapees are: Robert Forster (Milram), Anders Lund (Saxo Bank), Ben Swift (Team Katusha), Francesco De Bonis (Diquigiovanni), Angel Gomez (Fuji-Servetto), Felix Cardenas (Barloworld), Pablo Lastras Garcia (Caisse d'Epargne) and Guillaume Bonnafond (AG2R).
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    it would be great if the break stayed away. i think ben swift is the strongest in the sprint there, so could get the stage :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Forster's a useful sprinter too. But the finish is on top of a 4% hill that the riders will also climb up once before the finish, so riders like Cardenas and De Bonis will play their cards too, it's not a sprinter's finish.
  • NervexProf
    With 140km to go - the peloton are riding piano; enjoying the scenery and last views of the sea in this year's race.

The eight leaders hang a left and head inland towards the Frosinone region, the clock registers a 3:43 lead back to the bunch. This break is back on.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Breakaway caught before the intermediate sprint, but it kinda backfired for LPR... Petacchi won it, but Menchov got 2nd and DDL 3rd. Menchov's overall lead back out to 20" as a result.

Fothen, Agnoli and Brutt now on the attack. 40 odd km to go.

British Lions are losing. Everton are winning. No-one worth watching in the tennis. Still MotoGP on Eurosport 2. My remote-control finger is getting cramp.
  • afx237vi
    ISD and Silence driving the peloton for Visconti and Gilbert. DDL may be disappointed if he expects everyone to sit up and let him sprint for bonuses. Almost gruppo compatto... "bunch packed" indeed :roll:
  • afx237vi
    Oh, Eurosport is live 20 minutes earlier. Damnit, I was looking forward to the Lincoln GP for the 400th time!
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    afx237vi wrote:
    ISD and Silence driving the peloton for Visconti and Gilbert. :

Go Visconti....!!!!
  • Noodley
    afx237vi wrote:
    Oh, Eurosport is live 20 minutes earlier. Damnit, I was looking forward to the Lincoln GP for the 400th time!

How much does it cost for Eurosport subscription? Is there such a thing or is it part of some package?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Noodley wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

How much does it cost for Eurosport subscription? Is there such a thing or is it part of some package?

I paid £1 extra a month for Eurosport as an add-on to my Sky Package. And in HD.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Could be a perfect last 25km for Gilbert.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Noodley wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

For some reason Eurosport is included in Sky's "news" package, so I think the minimum is something like £16 a month. You don't need Sky Sports or Sky Movies if you don't want them.
  • Noodley
    Cheers. So not part of their Tennis and Volleyball Package then? :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Gilbert off on Jens wheel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Wow, they're going up the final climb for the first time and it's hard. Bunch is in bits already.

Di Luca is going to go hard at this. Still 20km to go.
  • afx237vi
    Noodley wrote:
    Cheers. So not part of their Tennis and Volleyball Package then? :lol:

To be honest, I'm thinking of cancelling... I haven't seen Ana Ivanovic once this year. And the beach volleyball? Non-existant! :twisted:
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    Astana helping out Di Luca again.

Ridiculous really as no Astana rider will be able to win the stage today.
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    Here we go...
  • NervexProf
    Last 2km - and EBH is in the hunt...The final test Danni versus Dennis....and Gilbert in the mix too.
  • afx237vi
    Gilbert v Voeckler... now that's what I'm talking 'bout! :P
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Great finish and two good guys get to dispute the finish. Gilbert's finish was exceptional, Voeckler really struggled to hold his wheel.
  • frenchfighter
    GILBERT

Yes, thanks. Who else would your money be on with this type of finish. Gilbert is a brilliant rider and very stylish (you should see his girlfriend too!).

The French are the king of the attackers. Voeckler again.

Watch him in action here in the Tour de Haut Var in an amazing final few kms:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI1-7C6XEhE
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Lotto having their most successful day of the season, with Greg v A finishing 2nd in the Tour of Belgium.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gilbert :D. I think that's his first GT stage victory. Great finish. 8)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Wow, what a boring stage. :|

The final km was ok but I was hoping for more action to be honest.