What size water bottles do I get?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi,

At present im training to complete my first century and im up to 50 miles so far, completed in 3.5 hours. To complete that I had to stop once to refill my bottles as im only using 2 x 500ml bottles - im using 1 500ml bottle per hour.

So im considering buying 2 x 750ml or 2 x 1000ml bottles so I can carry more liquid and stop less to complete the 100 miles. Does anyone else use these size bottles and do they look silly big on the bike?

Also, do you have any recommendations on what to refill the bottles with?

Thanks
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Most people seem to use 750ml bottles for training. Most team bottles are available in 500ml and 750ml.

1000ml wouldn't fit underneath the top tube if I put it in the seattube bottle cage, so they are out for me.

I do use 500ml bottles though, when I'm not going far, as 750ml bottles can be a struggle to get out of the seat tube cage.

You could carry energy powder with you for refilling bottles. But I normally just refill my bottles with water mid ride.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    As Reddraggon says, take some extra energy powder and refill mid ride if necessary. If I need extra water when I'm out in the countryside I sometimes stop at a churchyard where you'll often find an outside tap (for watering the flowers on the graves). In fact I did that very thing this afternoon in Talgarth, near Hay on Wye.
    Otherwise you can always try the public loos :(
  • plodderpaul
    plodderpaul Posts: 32
    Had a similar dilemma when covering 70 miles last week. I used 1 x 750ml bottle on the seat tube, 1 x 750ml bottle under my topeak saddle bag and 1 x 1 litre old Robinson's bottle on the downtube. This must have looked bad but as it was early in the morning and i think i got away with it. :D
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    Had a similar dilemma when covering 70 miles last week. I used 1 x 750ml bottle on the seat tube, 1 x 750ml bottle under my topeak saddle bag and 1 x 1 litre old Robinson's bottle on the downtube. This must have looked bad but as it was early in the morning and i think i got away with it

Ah, but don't forget all those CCTV cameras out there...
    You'll soon be getting a knock on the door from the Bling Enforcement Squad - or worse still, you'll be featured in the next episode of 'Cyclists do the Funniest Things'. :D:D
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I use a 1ltr SIS Bottle and 750ml bottle.

Can't fit two 1ltr bottles on my frame :x
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Today, nice and warm out, 2x750ml bottles and 1x700ml bottle, the last in a bottle cage I have off my seat using one of these

Adds a bit of extra weight obviously and with 2 bottles behind the seat the bike is noticeably top heavy until they've been emptied, but better that than running out on a hot day.

I've also looked at getting 1L bottles, they don't seem to fit into my bottle holders. :?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Depends on how fit you are and how hot it is. I reckon it's best to just take out the maximum you can, just to be safe.

I take out 3 x 1L bottles and sometimes even a 4th 1L one which goes in my jersey back pocket. That's only when it's hot and I have no idea where i'm cycling to - although you could probably go cycling anywhere in the UK, no matter how remote, with 2L and find a place to fill up before you run out.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    chuckcork wrote:
    one of these

Brilliant! :D May get one of those!
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    I use 2x750ml bottles. I can always knock on someones door and ask for water if essential. Take plenty of food, maybe about 4 bananas, 4 energy bars and 2 gels. You can carry extra powder to make up more sports drink if you need too.
    Its a good idea to doing a century in a sportive. Plenty of people to help then....British Heart Foundation do some. They are well thought out. Various start times, so you can relax or leave really early, there's always people to ride with to.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    edited May 2009
    All you need is 2x 750ml bottles carrying 3-4x 1L bottles is abit silly really, there is ALWAYS a place to fill up, be it free or paying for a 1.5L bottle.

Although I'd dare not knock on some randomers door.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Hi, what size shorts do I get?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I use 2x500ml bottles as my frame is a bit small for larger ones. Also its lighter to carry 2x sachets in my pocket and refill en route(you can also carry a different flavour so you don't get fed up with the one you started with.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You've already got enough water to last you for two hours.

So you could stop after the two hours somewhere and refill them - you may want a rest anyway and most Century rides have feeding stations.

If you got 2 x 1L bottles - then thats an extra kilo or weight you will be carrying round with you - OK you can go 4 hours without a stop - but who needs 4 hours worth of liquid unless you are crossing a desert ?

As to stuff to put in = Nuun tabs are good for salts, and theres lots of energy powders that you could take with you.

Dont worry if the bottles look silly on the bike - who gives a toss ?
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Thanks for the advise guys... I like the idea of having an extra bottle behind the seat instead of buying bigger bottles for the cages on the frame.

Do you know if anyone does a saddle holder which holds 1 bottle so it fits over a saddle bag, and is cheap :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I came from an MTB background so a camelbak seems the most logical solution !
    up to 3ltrs, carry all your stuff and the best bit you don't need to stop ! sorts me for over 3hrs of thrashing !

oh and before anyone says anything I'm a convert to road bikes !
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    3ltrs for 3 hours!!! Geez you must stop a lot and not to re-fill :oops:

Typically I'd use 1x 750ml for up to 50miles, 2x 750 for up to 80 and then for the rare occassion over that distance just stop as required.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    2x2litres is noticeably heavy and put me off carrying both (back one was a squeeze however I would just swap the bottles around when the first was empty so wasn't a biggie). I prefer to have a quicker ride and take a few minute popping into shop. Nice just to get off the bike for a couple of mins anyway or at least I think so.
  • gcaster
    gcaster Posts: 152
    turnerjohn wrote:
    I came from an MTB background so a camelbak seems the most logical solution !

Snap!
    turnerjohn wrote:
    up to 3ltrs, carry all your stuff and the best bit you don't need to stop ! sorts me for over 3hrs of thrashing !

3l in the Camelbak (or equivalent) and 1l on the frame saw me through the C2C on my mountain bike, 1st day was 11.5hrs with 1 half hour stop. Need I say more?

I've just bought one of these which are very good:
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/hydra-hpak-p-28922.html
    turnerjohn wrote:
    oh and before anyone says anything I'm a convert to road bikes !

Snap...again!