A C2W scheme question if I may...

JohnBoyUK
JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Got my bike voucher through this week and was all set to head off to my LBS tomorrow morning to pick up either a Rockhopper Expert or Pro, which I've still not decided on.

However, I've just discovered that with the 10% discount Evans Cycles are offering, I can get the Pro for £880 which is the same price that my LBS is selling the Expert for (the Pro is £999) which really makes it a no brainer to go for the Pro from Evans.

So my question is: my voucher is made out to my LBS. Can I change my mind and go from Evans by just taking the voucher along or do I have to resubmit the paperwork via the cyclescheme company and wait a few more weeks? Would Evans be able to accept the voucher?

[/code]

Comments

• Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    What scheme are you on? My company's scheme didn't allow bikes from Evans as they are not on the list. I'd be surprised if you can change as the voucher is usually shop specific.

Have you checked the scheme website?
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • JohnBoyUK
    That was my worry about it being shop specific, especially as it says its valid for that shop.

My company uses cyclescheme. Yes, I have checked their website and no, it doesnt say (surprise surprise) and their offices dont open now until Monday!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'd be surprised if you can change the voucher at this stage. Worth a try of course.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    That was my worry about it being shop specific, especially as it says its valid for that shop.

My company uses cyclescheme. Yes, I have checked their website and no, it doesnt say (surprise surprise) and their offices dont open now until Monday!
    The Cyclescheme web site does show partner stores, Evans don't appear.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Once you had the voucher i don't think you can change it at all, even if you decide you don't want a bike at all! When Planet-X/On-one stopped dealing with Hlafords a lot of people were stuck with vouchers for Halfords which they wanted to use to buy planet x bikes but couldn't anymore.

To my knowledge, once you have your voucher, you're stuck with it
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Just to let you know you cannot have that 10% off that bike :wink:

Government rules state they need to be RRP, I tried trust me, seen tons of 2007 stuff for so so cheap, and it was no go.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    canada16 wrote:
    Just to let you know you cannot have that 10% off that bike :wink:

Government rules state they need to be RRP, I tried trust me, seen tons of 2007 stuff for so so cheap, and it was no go.
    The government has no interest in the RRP or otherwise, I mean, why would the government impose price-fixing??? This is simply a matter for the seller and / or scheme provider. C2W bikes can be and are supplied at less than RRP.
    DFT rules here

Some scheme providers are also the sellers (Evans, Wiggle, Edinburgh Cycles etc) so do not have to pay themselves commission and are therefore likely to sell at ticket price prevailing at the time. Others (like Cyclescheme) charge a commission from the shop (10%?) so the shop is likely to either charge RRP or to add a percentage to the sale price to cover this.

For example, Spa Cycles had a shop price of £900 on a Dawes Super Galaxy, but they add 12.5% for Cyclescheme sales, whereas my LBS quoted RRP of £1300 with no haggling.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    JE James sell discount bikes on the C2W scheme.
  • kopite1979
    kopite1979 Posts: 443
    sorry to hijack the thread, i just wanted to ask, how do you find out if your company is involved in this? i asked my manager and he said "i dont know" i work for a national company and have no idea where to start asking
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    HR department (there being nothing personal in personel anymore) would be the first step.

Usually company's only offer C2W if they are already set up with other salary sacrifice schemes usch as pensions etc.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JohnBoyUK
    Hi All, thanks for all the replies. Having managed to get our company's cyclescheme rep's number over the weekend, he confirmed they wouldnt be able to change the voucher. Anyhow, Evans also confirmed that I wouldnt be able to get the 10% off with the C2W due to a small % of their profit going back to cyclescheme or something like that...

So, I'm now the proud owner of a Rockhopper Disc Pro. Absolutely lovely bike and a massive step up from the Claude Butler Pagan that my ex-wife bought me a few years back.

Will post up some pics soon but will be the same as everyone elses as not made any changes to it yet. Will be looking to sort the pedals out first as they clip in side are driving me crazy lol.

Thanks for everyone's advice and the other contributors to the other threads which made my choice of bike somewhat pleasureable experience :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will be looking to sort the pedals out first as they clip in side are driving me crazy lol.
    vulture.jpg
    First dibs please?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.