Astana: No Tour for Lance, Contador off?

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited June 2009 in Pro race
From another forum
http://www.wielerupdate.nl/nieuws/2009/05/29/geen-tour-voor-armstrong-zonder-nieuwe-sponsor_11358/

It's in dutch, but apparently originally reported by RAI.

LA won't go to the TdF if they don't find a new sponsor. Even if they find a new sponsor, it is rumoured that Contador leaves the team anyhow. According to Spanish media, Caisse d'epargne wants to contract him.

UCI is contemplating about pulling the plug June 1st, by revoking the UCI license. Obviously this has to do with the lag in rider's salary.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow if Contador is riding for Caisse in the TdF I am going to be so happy. A proper team for the best GT rider at last.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Could be a very good move for Contador. Will the ongoing Valverde situation affect whether Alberto goes there or not? There's certainly room for both of them as Valverde doesn't quite have the necessaries for a GT contender.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Bit different to the story on Cycling Weekly.

Bruynel says Contador's not going anywhere.
    “I've spoken with Alberto at length on the phone yesterday and there's not a single thought in his mind (about leaving),” Bruyneel said.

“He's going to be with our team. We don't know yet what it's going to be called yet but hopefully it's Astana.”

Also Pat's been working hard behind the scenes....ahhh, so that's what you do Pat.

UCI say their place isn't guaranteed (though to be fair I would've thought that'd be down to ASO and not the UCI) but apparently the bank guarantees are back in place and a large amount of their debts have been paid off.
  • blazing_saddles
    Well, Chris Horner, during interview, has followed the Catalunya line, in saying he's never not been paid.

Which begs the question: Who and what to believe?
    IMO: This situation has been staged to wrestle the PT licence away from the Kazakh fed, but has backfired badly.

As for that Contador Bruyneel telephone conversation, its like a politican's satement; too good to be true.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    What do you mean? That Armstrong and Bruyneel have put this story out to try and get hold of the licence, even though in reality there are no financial problems and the riders have been getting paid?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArti ... ID=3744674

Could be interesting. Licence goes with long term finance. And the commitee meeting mid-July.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Would you put it past him after what he is known to have done to anyone and everyone who crosses his eyes and dotes his diseaves?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    The problem is, what exactly is Armstrong selling? He's got maybe another season left as have many of the ex-USDiscatana team, Leipheimer has dismally failed to deliver and the rumours continue to swirl about their one decent GT rider leaving the team (Bruyneel's 'telephone conversation' reminds me of the kind of stuff that goes on in football shortly before X announces he's signed for a new team).

Plus there are too manyinconsistencies - the Catalonia riders and Horner saying they've been paid yet the Giro dream team haven't seen any money? Why would riders lie about being paid? It seems more likely that Bruyneel has been economical with the truth in order to try and leverage the license. Wonder if he'll still be in a job when Vino comes back?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Wow if Contador is riding for Caisse in the TdF I am going to be so happy. A proper team for the best GT rider at last.

I predicted exactly that a few months ago on this very forum an and was laughed off!

Pffft!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    teagar wrote:

I predicted exactly that a few months ago on this very forum an and was laughed off!

Pffft!

Let's see if the encore goes similarly.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    According to Cycling News today, Contador is number 1 for Astana for the TdF.

Bruyneel felt the need to say 'trust me'. Why does that always have the opposite effect? :?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A team might have a designated leader but any sensible DS will see who does the fastest time around Monaco and who is the quickest up to Andorra. These announcements about who is the leader are really just for media/fan consumption and probably mean little within the team.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I fully agree with Kleber, crashes, losses of form, a bad day at the office all play their part

but I think that Johan knows that Lance won't be able to mount a 3 week challenge for a podium if he's honest with himself, levi didn't set the world alight at the giro either
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • frenchfighter
    It is funny how at the start of the year, all the press were talking about an Astana super team, especially with regard to GC. They talked about them as if they would be impossible to be beaten. They certainly don't give that impression now despite the incredible palmares of the team combined.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It is funny how at the start of the year, all the press were talking about an Astana super team, especially with regard to GC. They talked about them as if they would be impossible to be beaten. They certainly don't give that impression now despite the incredible palmares of the team combined.

It's not so much that people no longer feel they can't be beaten - it's just the uncertainty about whether or not they'll actually be riding in the Tour that leads some people to question their dominance I think.

If they are they, then they can't be beat.
  • frenchfighter
    It will be extremely tough to beat Contador but who else is a REAL GC threat? They were talking like they have several undisputable angles to play.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    According to Cycling News today, Contador is number 1 for Astana for the TdF.

Bruyneel felt the need to say 'trust me'. Why does that always have the opposite effect? :?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /jun03news

The Astana director added that Contador's main rivals for the Tour de France - including teammates Leipheimer, Armstrong and Andreas Klöden, plus Denis Menchov, Carlos Sastre, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans - were "a step below" the level of the Spaniard.

Oh yeah, Kloeden. I'd forgotten about him...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    Bruyneel is an ugly idiot, heavily implicated in dodgy performances and is a rat, for whom anything that comes out his mouth is not to be trusted.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Financial woes over for now.

http://www.velonews.com/article/92842/u ... reen-light

So those sponsors Lance had lined up must be sad.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    I wouldn't be too hasty about Astana's chances. I think Menchov and DiLuca were focused on winning the Giro in their training because they knew they couldn't beat Contador at the Tour. Levi and Sastre were using it as training and open to a good result if it presented itself. Levi will now be first option if Contador crashes out. They also have Lance, Kloden and Zubeldia, any of whom could (not necessarily would) beat Sastre. Not sure about Schleck. But I agree Lance is not what he was.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    DiLuca was focussed on the Giro because he's not in the tour!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    True that. But he couldn't beat Contador anyway.
  • blazing_saddles
    There is something wrong, if Leipheimer can successfully step in to lead the Tour team.
    He wasn't "training" at the Giro, but racing to his real potential.
    People seem to think that because of a couple of podium spots in GTs and as he rides for the "favoured ones", all he has to do, is turn up and blow the opposition away.
    Fact is, he was already losing his edge, by mid Giro. He needs a long rest, as he's been racing, full on, since February.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    I think that from what was seen at the Giro, as Blazing said above, Levi doesn't have any more to give. Again, as mentioned above, he was in good condition in February and won the ToC. I think he's had his chance in the Giro and unfortunately for him, he just didn't have that extra gear needed to drop/stay on the important wheels.

Despite what Bruyneel has said about Levi being number 2, I'm not sure that's true. LA might not be what he once was but he was certainly hitting some form in the second half of the Giro. Still very excited to see Contador in action though. (Evans, not so much!!) It will be interesting.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    iainf72 wrote:
    Financial woes over for now.

http://www.velonews.com/article/92842/u ... reen-light

So those sponsors Lance had lined up must be sad.

According to Kaz cycling news Proskurin stated that an American company that operates in Kazakhstan were stepping in. He was asked if this had any thing to do with LA, and he answered that it had nothing to do with him.

Could be a dodgy translation, but it will be interesting if it is not one of LAs contacts :wink: