Handlebar stem length

BobScarle
BobScarle Posts: 282
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I am looking to make my ride slightly more comfortable by being a little more upright. The bike is a Thorn Audax 853 which I use for rides of about 3 to 4 hours. I have a 110mm +/- 12 deg stem fitted. I am thinking of changing this out for a 60mm or 70mm possibly +/- 40 deg. I am a little worried about changing the handling characteristics. Would there be a noticable change? Would it be worth making the change?

Bob

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    That's a big difference dropping that much length off your stem. Have a look at the Ritchey Comp Adjustable stem, comes in diferent sizes and has an adjustable angle of +/-45 degrees.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    have a look on ebay. Plenty of cheap stems to try and when yo're happy you can buy a decent one.

I'd try a 90mm first and go from there. 70 and less will quicken the steering quite a bit. 90 shouldn't be too bad.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • p3t389
    p3t389 Posts: 15
    Hi, I changed from a 100mm to 60mm and was somewhat apprehensive but whilst the steering is a little sharper it's nothing too bad. For about £12 the Truvativ XR may be worth a try and if you like it you can go for something a little more in keeping with your beautiful bike.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Agreed............ anything less than 80 is going to have a noticeable effect on the handling. Try a stem that angles up before you lose that much length.