Well New Bikes can't always be new

Bungalow Bill
Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Bit gutted just done a post ride check, many chips after todays ride, and a nice dent in the chain stay side, massive scratches down the fork arm gutted. Guess it was always gona happen still sad day =[

Beer time =]

Bill.
I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina

Comments

• SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    commiserations mate - consider them battle scars and evidence of a great ride :D

enjoy the beer!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Yes it is gutting...but like you say, its gonna happen one day!

All I think is that the bike is enjoying himself when he is being ridden, its what he wants to do. He doesnt mind the odd scratch.

You might think im sad, but it helps me!

If you were doing something you were really enjoying, you wouldnt mind if you end up with a few nail scratches down your back :wink:

Si

p.s. I probably wont buy a black bike again tho, shows every mark!
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    At least you didn't fall over in the car park yesterday :cry:, scratching new carbon bar end, saddle and XT rear mech, while practising some new moves / ie making a total **** of yourself in front of the neighbours. It was bound to happen sooner or later... :)
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Only real scabble I've picked since getting my bike last November was when it slipped whilst washing it. Getting a scratch is bad enough but even more so when done cleaning after riding all the black bits at Dalbeatie!

I've got plans in my head for a re-spray in a couple of years so maybe the odd scratch here and there isn't too bad!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I just had a look at my Stumpy HT frame and it still looks mint. Everything else is scratched and scuffed (and ripped if we include the seat and grips) but for some reason the chip gods have avoided the frame.

This obviously means that the next time I ride it I will be involved in a freak pebble dashing accident.
  • Bungalow Bill
    Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
    :lol:

Problem is out here there is no dirt or soft landing just rocks rocks and more rocks, on the plus side Ive resided myself to the fact in 12 months time if my frame is not destroyed it will be close to being so I will have to get a new one =

Beers cut short in work at 6:30AM pfffftttttt
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I quite like the fact my steed now looks battle scarred, makes me look way more hardcore than I am (most of the damage was done on the bike stand or getting it in and out of the car :oops: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    but you didn't tell us that, right stumpyjon? :wink:
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Nevermind bill, a nice cold keo or mythos will ease the pain ;)
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Sorry to hear about the scratches, back in 96 I had saved up my pennies to buy a P7 and on my first trip out I fell off and I remember like it was yesterday as the bike tumbled down the hill ripping off the crud guard and tearing the saddle off. The bike I still use as a single speed steed still has the same dinks in it from that day but not many other scratches. I'm super careful if I'm taking a new bike out now! Anyway got to go have you seen the weather out, moving to the lakes was the best move ever.
    cheers,

Neil
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i came off mine on loose gravel awile back, went over on the drive side but ended up with scratches mostly on the non drive side, weird. and the helmet saved me from a side impact wallop without a scratch left on it :)
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    It's all part of having a bike, if you ask me. I like to see a bike that's well looked after, but also one that shows evidence that it's been ridden.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • randomage
    randomage Posts: 100
    I'd hate to get my bike covered in scratches, but at the same time it makes it look more ridden. That's half the reason i dont like cleaning it (apart from the fact i'm bone feckin idle....) just because it says 'i actually use this properly'.
    "The day after tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. That way, you always have a couple of days in hand." - Bill Bailey
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    just get some "deflector shields" for your bike like this

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/422/Extra-B ... ign=pid422

When i bought my Ransom last year, I discovered these just before i left the shop . Literally went mad taping over every vulnerable spot like the undersides, lead tubes , stanctions etc My rig still looks as new as it has been bought last year thanks to those
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    for some reason i always like to put a little scratch on a frame that im building up so im not worried about scuffing it when im riding. weired?
    who cares?
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    solsurf wrote:
    back in 96 ......

back in 92 I got a Giant CFM1 (top dollar carbon fibre xtr equiped),
    first ride was a school trip and the teacher used a canoe trailer to carry our bikes, my bike rubbed against the steel frame of the trailer leaving a 2 inch scrape down to the metal on the alloy forks,
    then a few weeks later I raced it and after my event a friend begged to borrow the bike for a senior event later in the day, finally I gave in and he brought the bike back to me after dropping out of the event from crashing, there was another 2 inch scrap on the downtube, through to the carbon on the giant logo,
    still got the bike too,