Would one skid on a Tub do this???

poucher
poucher Posts: 102
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Would one accidental skid wreck a Tub, or do you think there has been some glass or something on the road?

I was out last night for a ride with some friends and we'd we'd just turned left onto a smaller back road, and I reached down for the bottle and was just about to put it to my lips when I realized that they had all virtually stopped to turn around as it was a wrong turn!!

I was closing on them at a heck of a rate, and with only having my left hand on the brake hood I had no option but to hit the back brake as hard as possible, the bike must have skidded for about 10 feet and then fishtailed across the gravel in the centre of the road, I don't know how I missed them all, or stayed on the bike!

tub.jpg

Didn't even cross my mind to look at the tyre until the ride was over and look, its trashed I'm amazed it made it back in that state, I must have done 20 miles or so on it.

Do you think that one skid can wreck a tub to this extent, or has there been something in the gravel that has made it 10 times worse??

Tyre is a Conti GP 4000S black chilli

A lesson learned the hard way, don't get too close when your drinking and can't brake properly

Phew!

Poucher :wink:

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I destroyed a 4 week old GP3000 the same way. Right down to the canvas. I think the state of the road surface will have played a part (if it was silky smooth tarmac it probably would have lasted a bit better) but I don't think we can expect racing tyres like GP's, Pro Race etc to handle that kind of abuse.