Clipless pedals - How long?

Zeroman_IR
Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
A slightly different SPD thread here. No I'm not vacillating between SPDs and flats, I've made the change to CB Mallet 3s (thank you eBay).

Problem is, I'm finding that being attached to the buggers seriously saps my confidence. I don't have trouble clipping out or anything but I just notice that I'm not as confident when the going gets gnarly. I guess I'm too used to being able to throw a leg out with the flats and, as a result, I get anxious in the same situations with the clippies. It's caused me to yank the brakes and slow down in some situations where I really shouldn't the past week, and caused some pretty silly crashes (slow clipped in OTB off a drop anyone?).

So my question is this. Any people on here who've recently changed to clipless, or can still remember, did you notice the same feelings of anxiety when starting off with them? If so, how long did this take to pass? Any hints?

I'm going to stick with them, they're so much better for climbing, it's just that we have some pretty severe (read: pads a necessity) descents around here and I do feel that they're holding me back at the moment. All help appreciated.

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    I feel more confident ,in some ways, using the spd's

Going down a bumpy track, its nice to know that my feet aren't going to bounce off the pedals,
    and, like you say, powering up hills is sooo much easier.

Ofcourse Ive had a fair few 'wobbly' moments. A few times I've thought about putting my foot down, but have managed to regain my balance and carry on. I think using spd's has definately improved my (limited!) riding skills. But there is a long way to go for me yet!!!

Everyone Ive spoken to about spd's, either at work or out and about, have said to persevere with them. Its worth it in the end!

I'd give it a few weeks, see how things are going.

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Keep them pretty loose to begin with too, so you're not worried about unclipping, and just keep clipping in & out until it's totally instinctive.

You'll be fine! 8)
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    I changed a few months back and, to be honest, technical stuff will always be easier on flats. I never have problems with my feet coming off the pedals because I know how to position them properly and a dab can make all the difference. But stick with SPDs, I'm not saying you'll never feel confident, you will, but give it time and don't expect to be flying off huge drops with exactly the same aggressiveness.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    elPedro666 wrote:
    Keep them pretty loose to begin with too, so you're not worried about unclipping, and just keep clipping in & out until it's totally instinctive.

You'll be fine! 8)

The thing is with the CB system there is no tension adjust, just a variable float dependent on which way you have the cleats pointing. It's a really lovely bit of design actually, it doesn't actually need tension adjustment.
  • Zeroman_IR
    I intend sticking with them, only had them on for 3 rides yet. There's no tension adjust on the Crank Brothers pedals, that said they're very easy to get out of. Seem easier to release than Shimano SPDs, tried them for a bit last year before I did my wrist. That was why I got the flats, was worried about hurting the wrist again.

And um, it wasn't a huge drop :oops: More like a foot. In my defence there's a tree just before it that tends to channel you into a rock just after it if you get the line even a tiny bit wrong. I've seen even good riders come off there on occasion. It never bothered me before but I think I was slowing down because of the pedals and the lack of speed was causing the wet roots (I did say it was nasty) to channel the front wheel into the rock. A little more speed might have allowed me to clear it. The benefits of hindsight, at the time my thoughts were more along the lines of "Oh s*1t!".
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    You do develope confidence over time it's just a matter of practice especially on jumps, drop offs and the likes. As someone else said they probably don't suit the really aggressive rider.

I don’t really have any problem with jumps and drop offs anymore but it's taken time to get the confidence and I do take alot of care with my line and posture when approaching them.

I bought mine after I slipped off my pedal which gouged my shin out something nasty so on the flipside I don't worry about that so much. The only thing I find annoying is trying to get clipped in where there isn't much run up to an obstacle.
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    Nik_B wrote:
    The only thing I find annoying is trying to get clipped in where there isn't much run up to an obstacle.

Aint that the truth, especially trying to start off on a steep uphill, other than that they're awesome.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Went for a long spin on the Dingle Way yesterday. Climbed rocky hills I'd always walked before and getting used to them on technical slow bits too. Still a little wary of them but they're making me commit fully in some situations if nothing else.

Unfortunately, also broke my carbon bars, not the pedals fault :evil: Yes, they do break, suddenly and without warning. Was flying downhill in my behind the saddle pose and the bars snapped on the right side between the shifters and stem, dropping my ars* onto the back wheel. Oddly enough, unclipping from the pedals wasn't an issue :lol: Managed to ditch into the bushes at the side of the trail. So I'll see you all on my "What (non-carbon) handlebars?" thread. Only joking! :wink:
  • Mickey Eye
    Post pictures!
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    I learned how to trackstand 8) . Then you can clip in with no run up at all.
    I run CB's too having changed from Shimano last year. Much better. Make sure you have the cleats on the easy way round (cleat with the dot goes on the right shoe if I remember), and you can unclip really easy.
    I took to clipless like duck to water. I just forget what I'm riding, and ride it.

Remember to shout "Strap one on and Man up!" before you get to the jump or other rocky/rooty sections and go with the flow. You'll be fine.

p.s. if you crash you'll unclip anyway. I always have.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    Post pictures!

I don't think anybody wants to see pictures of the tyre burn on my rear end :oops:
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    those pedals are pretty insane, 180 quid right?

i would imagine with that sort of tech pedal they will give you a much better head start than the typical shimano 520s that i been told most people use.

what shoes do you wear out of interest as i looking to get clipless and so wondering what to get.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Zeroman_IR
    I bought them off yourbestbikezone on eBay. Cost about the same as the Mallet 2s do over here including shipping.

It's not even the tech of them, as I've mentioned on here before I have a dodgy wrist. This was the original reason I changed to flats, I was worried about hurting it again as it's pretty weak and I really need physio for it. So I thought the Mallets were the best compromise in that I can clip out for any technical bits that I don't feel comfortable staying clipped in for (though they have a habit of clipping in when your attention is elsewhere...say for example on the aforementioned technical bits :lol: ).

They pretty much work as I hoped, not as grippy as true platform pedals but I think I need to play around with the grip screws as I haven't touched them yet. Plus they're fantastic if you're restarting on a climb as you don't need to worry about clipping in immediately and can focus on getting the power down. Really easy to get out of too, easier than the Shimano XT SPDs I had last IMHO despite not having a tension adjust.

I'm using the 661 Filter SPD shoes with them. Work great with one spacer under the cleat. Plenty of grip when you're not clipped in, rock solid when you are. Flexy enough to walk in but not so much that you're noticeably losing out on power transfer. They're maybe a little warmer than disco slippers but that said I had them on for 6 hours yesterday in sunny humid conditions and my feet didn't get very sweaty. They come up a little small in sizing, think Shimano. I usually take a 46, had to get a 47 in these. VERY happy with them overall.

I've also got a pair of Shimano MP66 SPD shoes on order at my LBS as they seem to be out of stock everywhere in my size so I'm hoping they'll have better luck through the dealer network. Very nice shoes, one of the lads I ride with has a pair. Bit lighter than the Filters but just as stiff.
  • Mickey Eye
    I have XTR pedals and Shimano M300 shoes The pedal are ace. The shoes were a mistake, completely.

What I wanted is the best my money could by, so custom fit Shimanos on sale as the same price as the top end other shoes they had in stock seemed like a bargain. Thing is M300 is cross country race shoes with super stiff carbon fibre and zero grip. I however ride very technical single track or sti and regularly carry my bike up hill acroos what could be called small cliffs. Not a good combination, especially in the wet. So I'm now looking for a good hard trail riding spd shoe.
  • Zeroman_IR
    The MP66 might be what you're looking for (if you can get hold of a pair). I've seen reviews if them being used with the Shimano pedals without a platform (M520/M540/XT/XTR) and heard no mention of noticeable flex in those reviews. I'll post here if I ever get a hold of my pair (here's hoping the shop gets the right size, it'll be horrible to go through this again)
  • Mickey Eye
    Thanks, I'll check them out. I won't deny however that the vacuum formed M300s are the best fitting of any shoe I've ever had. Ever. Pity they are so ill suited to my riding. Guess I'll keep them for my commute.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    i always feel more nervous clipped in when doing technical uphills :oops:

Far more confident downhill, way less confident uphill with spd's :lol:
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I've had mine for 3 weeks and it's getting better. A bit of it is psychological - you worry about not being able to put your foot down as quickly just because you know you can't, not because you will need to.

But i have had a number of silly falls too. :oops:
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    mea00csf wrote:

There's always one... :roll: :wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Zeroman_IR
    They don't bother me on uphills, any falls are likely to be at low speeds. Versus downhills, a few of the trails around here are very steep and rooty and the thought of bouncing down them attached to the bike (on or off it) doesn't exactly appeal. That said, I'm much more confident on them after the spin the last day and once my new bars arrive I might try a few of those descents clipped in.
  • rockhop09
    rockhop09 Posts: 17
    What a wicked thread dudes! im currently looking into a clipless set up. dont want anything to fancy fancy, was looking at specialized Tahos and spd-m540 with shimano cleats...? wanted a shoe that i can actually walk in. this a good choice? anyone experienced with them.

so zeroman_IR, you getting on with your set up much better now?
  • Zeroman_IR
    rockhop09 wrote:
    so zeroman_IR, you getting on with your set up much better now?

Much happier with them now, only had a few rides but starting to see that the benefits outweigh the negatives. Very happy with my choice of pedal too, really suited to all mountain riding.

The Tahoes get pretty good reviews, I don't think you can go wrong there. You might want to consider getting the multi release cleats to begin with, they release with a hard pull in any direction. One less thing to worry about in a bad situation.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    elPedro666 wrote:
    mea00csf wrote:

There's always one... :roll: :wink:

I know it's a bit odd!

Going downhill i find i'm going fast enough and concentrating enough to not think about being clipped in. going uphill at much slower speeds, there's much less dynamic stabilty and i'm generally wobblier on the bike because of the slow speeds and have time to look at something as i slowly approach it slogging away and to think "I don't think i'm going to make that, i'm fairly sure i'll fall here"