Upgrading 1998 Gary Fisher Big Sur

cathrobinson
cathrobinson Posts: 5
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Question is - is it worth it?

I have never really got on with the bike, and always found it was a bit far in reach for me. I have a Trek Fuel Ex 8 WSD for my full susser, which I LOVE, but could really do with a hardtail. I can't afford to buy something half-decent, so was wondering whether to add some bits to the Big Sur to make it rideable again. The bike is in excellent condition - it's only done a couple of hundred miles - and is totally original, apart from a WSD saddle, shorter stem and riser bars. The spec is here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

I was wondering about new forks, and I guess the million dollar question is can I put 2009 forks on a 1998 bike? And if I do, will it alter the geometry enough to make the reach feel shorter, and the front end feel higher? And then what about the headset?

I am not very good at the whole bike mechanic thing, so this would be a big step for me, but if I can get something decent and light for about £300-400 that would do. My ideal hadtail would be the Trek 6700 so that's what I would be trying to replicate. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Comments