Trans Rockies

UncleFred
UncleFred Posts: 227
edited June 2009 in XC and Enduro
Any one done it? Any advice?

Did La Ruta last year is there any comparison?

Comments

• Never done the race but bring some cool weather gear. I've seen snow fall on July 1 in Banff. It didn't stay mind you but it wasn't hot that day to say the least. Higher altitudes bring all kinds of crazy weather.
  • petew
    petew Posts: 47
    Hi,
    I did the transrockies last year, finished easily inside the top half - other than the few top teams it is not overly competitive and rather jolly. I rode my trusty Mount Vision, which was very comfortable. But the 17.5km climbing and hiking/carrying sections made me slightly jealous of my partner's S-Works hardtail - I'd be tempted to take something similar if I were to do it again. Regardless, you need to be happy climbing on whatever bike you take.

I trained on the roads around Coventry, so no big hills really. However, I was already aware of what relentless hills feel like. If you're not a confident climber it might be worth travelling to do some.
    other advice - make sure your bike is in excellent condition (be THOROUGH - if in doubt, replace cassette, chain, BB bearings, tyres etc, you can always put your part worn components back on afterwards).

My partner has completed La Ruta, from what I gather the transrockies is a lot less muddy and sweaty

have fun
  • petew
    petew Posts: 47
    Never done the race but bring some cool weather gear. I've seen snow fall on July 1 in Banff. It didn't stay mind you but it wasn't hot that day to say the least. Higher altitudes bring all kinds of crazy weather.

+1 - it (very briefly) snowed on the first day last year, and in generally there were several times when I was glad of a light windproof jacket. I think in Fernie it was about 35 deg. in Fernie though!