Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

De Rosa

SewinmanSewinman Posts: 2,131
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
I heart De Rosa bikes. I want to get a better bike and can use C2W scheme and can 'top up'. There are lots of good options out there - like Focus or Planet X...but i can't help looking at De Rosa bikes.

They are soooooooooo nice. Are they over-priced? The Team bike is 2k and its an aluminum frame.

productImages_3953-1-5469_800_800_False.jpg

Posts

  • GazzaputtGazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yes they are overpriced but come with a thoroughbred history.

    Head ruled heart for me I went with Focus.
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Definitely and Heart vs Head argument - you can get a better specced and better framed bike - cheaper. But De Rosa has history and ultimately, if you buy exactly what you want, you will use it more than something you bought because you felt it was better equipped.

    I would not be inclined to top up £1000 onto C2W - after all, you still don't own the bike, you just lease it. Some places won't let you top up anymore.

    Look at DDD's Kuota for value!
  • CrookyCrooky Posts: 604
    Overpriced...yes but do they look good, well you know the answer to that.

    You either buy a Halfords special/catalogue bike like a Planetx/Boardman or Ribble or you pay over the top and get a touch of class. I know what I would do.
  • SewinmanSewinman Posts: 2,131
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Yes they are overpriced but come with a thoroughbred history.

    Head ruled heart for me I went with Focus.

    Thought so, on the fixie front am allover this Cinneli

    prod_4704.jpg
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    very different - road bike to fixie?! What are you planning to do?! The road bike will serve you better for some distance stuff and leisure + commuting The fixie is wicked around town and for short distance scooting about....but I would not use one for leisure!
  • SewinmanSewinman Posts: 2,131
    gtvlusso wrote:
    very different - road bike to fixie?! What are you planning to do?! The road bike will serve you better for some distance stuff and leisure + commuting The fixie is wicked around town and for short distance scooting about....but I would not use one for leisure!

    I just like looking at nice bikes! My work is v chilled and there is zero chance they will ask me for anything for the bike after one year.
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes, other bikes offer better value for money, but it ain't a VFM purchase. I love alu bikes and, if I had the money, would indulge myself.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Cool! Your in a good place - and bike hunting/lusting is a fine activity - personally, I would go for the Time RXR UL Team:

    time-ulteam-bike-zoom.jpg

    But I don't think I can top up £6k....
  • SewinmanSewinman Posts: 2,131
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Cool! Your in a good place - and bike hunting/lusting is a fine activity - personally, I would go for the Time RXR UL Team:

    time-ulteam-bike-zoom.jpg

    But I don't think I can top up £6k....

    Its a bit garish for my tastes!
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK C2W

    What you have to remember is that you company only administers the scheme. Its the actual scheme that determines whether they'll offer you a price for a bike after a year or simply take it off your hands. This is why I didn't go with C2W at work, I phoned wheelies once and it was made clear that I would own the bike...

    There are many many lovely bikes out there. And De Rosa's are lovely but I can't help feeling the name adds more to the price - a little like a VW Polo vs Seat Ibiza (same car, same engine and practically out of the same factory but the VW badge means more expensive).

    Value for money wasn't the reason why I bought the Kuota so if you heart De Rosa then no amount of logic should convince you that they aren't worth the money.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK C2W

    What you have to remember is that you company only administers the scheme. Its the actual scheme that determines whether they'll offer you a price for a bike after a year or simply take it off your hands. This is why I didn't go with C2W at work, I phoned wheelies once and it was made clear that I would own the bike...

    There are many many lovely bikes out there. And De Rosa's are lovely but I can't help feeling the name adds more to the price - a little like a VW Polo vs Seat Ibiza (same car, same engine and practically out of the same factory but the VW badge means more expensive).

    Value for money wasn't the reason why I bought the Kuota so if you heart De Rosa then no amount of logic should convince you that they aren't worth the money.

    Aha! But I feel that you have killed 2 bikes with one credit card blow....

    I.e. The Kuota is great value and is very lustful/you had your heart set on it...as I do!
  • DonDaddyDDonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK C2W

    What you have to remember is that you company only administers the scheme. Its the actual scheme that determines whether they'll offer you a price for a bike after a year or simply take it off your hands. This is why I didn't go with C2W at work, I phoned wheelies once and it was made clear that I would own the bike...

    There are many many lovely bikes out there. And De Rosa's are lovely but I can't help feeling the name adds more to the price - a little like a VW Polo vs Seat Ibiza (same car, same engine and practically out of the same factory but the VW badge means more expensive).

    Value for money wasn't the reason why I bought the Kuota so if you heart De Rosa then no amount of logic should convince you that they aren't worth the money.

    Aha! But I feel that you have killed 2 bikes with one credit card blow....

    I.e. The Kuota is great value and is very lustful/you had your heart set on it...as I do!

    Anything I say about the Kharma will do it an injustice of actually how good it really is. I can't fault any aspect of it.
    Food Chain number = 4

    A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • AndyRubioAndyRubio Posts: 880
    I've got a De Rosa Team, use it for communting when the Ribble's in dry dock, and for audaxes. Beautiful bike, handles very nicely, good on hills too. I've also got my PB for a 10 on it, even though I now use a Felt TT bike!
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I've got a De Rosa Team, use it for communting when the Ribble's in dry dock, and for audaxes. Beautiful bike, handles very nicely, good on hills too. I've also got my PB for a 10 on it, even though I now use a Felt TT bike!

    Mmmm, nice.

    On a similar theme, it took me a good number of attempts to break my PB for a 10 on my Scott, which I'd previously set using an alu Tifosi.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyredalways_tyred Posts: 4,965
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Cool! Your in a good place - and bike hunting/lusting is a fine activity - personally, I would go for the Time RXR UL Team:

    time-ulteam-bike-zoom.jpg

    But I don't think I can top up £6k....
    Who makes that frame?
  • biondinobiondino Posts: 5,990
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Cool! Your in a good place - and bike hunting/lusting is a fine activity - personally, I would go for the Time RXR UL Team:

    time-ulteam-bike-zoom.jpg

    But I don't think I can top up £6k....
    Who makes that frame?

    It's a homage to the first three words of "Hazy Shade of Winter" by Simon & Garfunkel.
  • snellgrovesnellgrove Posts: 171
    I <3 the Tango they did circa 2005 / 2006. Fantastic looking machine, but it was out of my price range so I settled for a Scott.

    Didn't know about all that italian-is-better stuff back then ;-) Not that I believe it now either!
  • always_tyredalways_tyred Posts: 4,965
    snellgrove wrote:
    I <3 the Tango they did circa 2005 / 2006. Fantastic looking machine, but it was out of my price range so I settled for a Scott.

    Didn't know about all that italian-is-better stuff back then ;-) Not that I believe it now either!
    Is "<3" the symbol for a fahrt? If so I agree!

    As I recall, that was the height of form over function - heavy and largely pointless swoopy carbon bits. For some reason they stopped making it quite quickly.

    But you know, it will be like the Ford Edsel - ugly as all hell, but valuable and rare. :wink:
  • gb155gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I got scalped by a De Rosa yesterday but a guy wearing the Italian cycling team kit, He had shaved legs too, The bike was STUNNING, Think if I got one it would SNAP though lol.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

    December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

    July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

    http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • sewinman you def got an ...... wait a minute SEWINMAN :shock: :lol: :?

    ok you def got an italian bike fetish seen the de rosa and they look better in the flesh

    but 2k for a aluminium frame :roll:

    colnago,pinarello,viner,wilier,kuota..........
  • ziggy.mcdziggy.mcd Posts: 66
    Spent some time dribbling over new bikes this week end, my favourite was a new Colnago Master in colour orange. Picture doesnt do it justice.

    Bit rich for me at £1,400 for the frame set.

    Makes a change from oversized carbon tubes.

    3082572964_ea03e2dce4.jpg
  • prawnyprawny Posts: 5,415
    I love the de rosas and the colnago primavera and cervelo s1 (even in the white and red) I think I might go crazy next time and get some exotic metal.

    You do realise tho sewinman, if you get a de rosa you'll have to get the full lycra kit, none of thise footie shorts nonsense, I can't control DDD forever! :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • biondinobiondino Posts: 5,990
    ziggy.mcd wrote:
    Spent some time dribbling over new bikes this week end, my favourite was a new Colnago Master in colour orange. Picture doesnt do it justice.

    Bit rich for me at £1,400 for the frame set.

    Makes a change from oversized carbon tubes.

    3082572964_ea03e2dce4.jpg

    Oh my life. WANT.
  • ziggy.mcd wrote:
    Spent some time dribbling over new bikes this week end, my favourite was a new Colnago Master in colour orange. Picture doesnt do it justice.

    Bit rich for me at £1,400 for the frame set.

    Makes a change from oversized carbon tubes.

    3082572964_ea03e2dce4.jpg

    L :shock: :shock: K at the carbon frames in the background :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.