is a bike pub crawl a good idea?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited May 2009 in MTB general
me and my mate went out for a ride yesterday, got to about the 8 mile point and it was boiling hot so we stopped for refreshment in a pub. sat in the beer garden, 1 shandy turned into 3 pints and the ride back turned into stopping at every pub we came to :D

i'd had 7 pints by the time i got home, i think it was a good ride...... 8)

Comments

• amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    I hope your were not riding on the road at any point.
  • i hope you were ha ha good lad i love pub crawls on the bike :lol:
  • BobbyTrigger
    BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
    bike pub crawls are mint!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    never done a bike pub crawl, but ridden home sozzed after going straight to pub after work....was not a good ride home :oops:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • welshkev
    amt27 wrote:
    I hope your were not riding on the road at any point.

canal tow paths mostly... with a little bit of off road. the off road was before the beer though :D
  • welshkev
    bobby trigger: bloody hell your kitchens clean!!!
  • BobbyTrigger
    BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
    @welshkev: aye, the missus - mentalist :lol:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    riding drunk is one of my guilty pleasures.

I know I shouldn't, I'm pretty sure it's illegal but it's just so damn liberating. And anyway, my reactions are much better after a few pints :P

actually, Mrs B and I once rode up and over a big hill in Hong Kong to get to a resteraunt. It was an absolute killer and we arrived in bits. We then proceeded to drink ourselves stupid on red wine and steak. For some reason the ride home (back up and over the same hill) was noticibly less painful ad I'm fairly sure I rode it quicker than on the way over.

So proof; I am a better bike rider when drunk!

one thing I never ever do is mountainbike when drunk. I tried riding down some steps with just about 4 pints in me many years ago on tyeh isle of white. It didn't go well.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    I met up with an old school mate in Aberdeen. We had a pint then some lunch then a couple more pints, then shared a bottle of wine and then another one at a bar on the way back. I'd left my car parked in town but on getting back to his flat I realised I'd left my ventolin in the car.

We decided to ride back to town (me in sandles and on a totally different bike with a really short stem). Needless to say it was interesting.
  • dazoo666
    dazoo666 Posts: 37
    I've ended up in the pub with a mate after a ride untill 1.30 in the morning. How we didn't get stopped by the police on the way home i'll never know. We were drunk but a special kind of drunk, where you know your ok to ride :D (love family guy)
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    My other hobby along with cycling is real ale. :lol:

The local Camra do a bike/pub trip most months in the summer. Not made one yet, what with only just having got into cycling but I aim to soon!
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • welshkev
    Flenser wrote:

The local Camra do a bike/pub trip most months in the summer. Not made one yet, what with only just having got into cycling but I aim to soon!

sounds good, i wish it were a local trip and i'd be on it :lol:
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    its great in the alps, you can get a lift up and then stop at every mountain hut on the way down..and not have to pedal...plus it hurts less when you rag doll down the hill after planting over the front.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I've got a scar on chin that says no but the rest of me says yes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    welshkev wrote:
    Flenser wrote:

sounds good, i wish it were a local trip and i'd be on it :lol:

shame about the camra folk being there really..... :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    no such thing as a bad idea as far as the word pub is concerned
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    rideing pub to pub should be a sport i reckon.its funny as hell
  • andyhilton
    andyhilton Posts: 156
    Canalside bike crawls are just the best!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Flenser wrote:

Ever tried very nutty black, that is a lovely ale my usual favourite is bakespears triple mmm. ;)

Did have three pints once when out and about, made for a very slow ride back so never again. :lol:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Tomorrow a mate is celebrating his 40th birthday so 5 or 6 of us are heading off up the canal towards Dewsbury, lots of nice pubs enroute, someones gunna end up in the water but it's going to be a scorcher so should dry off quick enough.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    andyhilton wrote:
    Canalside bike crawls are just the best!
    possibly the most dangerous though

falling in pissed is a bad move
  • riding drunk is one of my guilty pleasures.

I know I shouldn't, I'm pretty sure it's illegal but it's just so damn liberating. And anyway, my reactions are much better after a few pints :P

It is illegal to ride if your over the limit. The police pointed that out last night when they pulled me over on my way home from work after a few pints. They didn't seem that bothered that I'd had a bit too much to drink, but were more concerned that I didn't have a rear light on the bike.
  • Biking and pubs go hand in hand! That first pint after a hard ride is the best! It's the 6th that's a killer.

After a tough day at Swinley me and mate rode into Bracknell for a beer, had about 8 with no dinner. After, on the way over to the station I decided to pull a wheelie and went straight over the back!! Right in the middle of the road in front of the pub! Didn't hurt a bit! lol!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I've rode back to the caravan from the pub down the Gower, HAMMERED years back, it was great fun, woke up the next day with a hangover of course, a bruised knee, bruised arse, brusied hand and looked outside to find my mates early 90's pink stumpjumper laying on the deck with a competely taco'd rear wheel. He was less than impressed by the state of his bike he'd kindly lent me when he arrived a few hours later. But I bought him a new one and all was well.

I can't really remember the crash, my mate said we were flying down the road into the campsite next to ours about midnight and at the last moment spotted they'd dropped a barrier over the entrance and I lost the back end on the brakes and me and the accient Spesh bounced down the road. Would had really taken myself out if I hit it, just didn't use helments back in the day.

The one thing I cannot figure out though is how I got back, I know I managed to ride it back, but in the morning the rear was so bent it wouldn't turn in the frame....
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    well nobody fell in after all !

I think I came of worst after my semi-crash into nothingness, honestly, I just don't know what happened, riding back towards Wakefield at about 7.30pm and I just came a cropper but didnt actualy fall off, more like wobbled and then slid down my bike.

Didn't notice for a while (I'd had 6 pints and the last two were Old Peculiar), I'd made a real mess of my right calf, I have 7 or 8 slashes where I've slid down accros the chainset and two deeper punchure wounds which I think are from the pedal studs, every time I stretch these two scabs tear open and start bleeding again.

I have to conclude that biking and boozing just dont mix
  • konahanky
    konahanky Posts: 24
    I live in a pub, just got back from a long ride on the trails with my mate, forgot to lock the bikes up, went outside... and some C*nt robbed my bike :@ grrr!!