Butt butter vs Vaseline??

Spikedhope
Spikedhope Posts: 144
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
This is a short question:-
which is better, or worse, and why, for helping the undercarriage? Butt Butter (Assos etc.) or Vaseline?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Vaseline has no anti-bacterial properties, so go ahead and use it if you fancy doing a bit of 'culture' propagation!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Spikedhope
    Spikedhope Posts: 144
    :) agreed! But, just how proven are the anti-bacterial properties of butter like Assos? Plus, I normally use nothing....so, I have no agents working to beat any growths!!
    Having read a number of forums, Vaseline appears to be a favorite...just as long as you wash the shorts and yourself well after each ride. I have used Assos twice...but it did feel as if the area was being kept too moist, which in itself is a problem. I imagine that Vaseline works well to prevent friction....just I wonder if anyone has first hand experience of using both of them?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd be suprised vaseline would hold up under the heat/friction, seems to break down to a liquid pretty easily. Used Assos cream myself for years and it does the job, I guess if you put a handful of it 'down there' it's going to feel slippery but I don't use much.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Also been using Assos for many years and can't complain about it. Brilliant stuff, tried a few other brands but always come back to Assos. Just a shame they changed the 'recipe' a few years back so it no longer got as much menthol in it :(
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    +1 for Assos, plus a good shower using antibacterial soap "down-under", post ride.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Savlon cream 8) .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    You could also try this.

I am going to give it a try myself and see how it goes as I get chafing :(
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I have used both, and would say that Assos chamois creme is far superior top Vaseline.
    Savlon cream

I found out that i am allergic to this. Brought me out in a huge rash. :shock: :oops: :cry:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275
    Tried both, haven't found bacteria to be an issue, maybe because I shower after a ride :lol:

Only downside of Vaseline is if you're cycling and then driving home (eg after a sportive... ) unless you get changed, the greasy stuff will stain your car seats and, unlike other creams, it's bloody impossible to wash away.

At the moment I'm using the DZ stuff I bought from Wiggle... it's alright...
    left the forum March 2023
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    ASDA nappy cream 94p, works fine.
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    Sudocrem - a third of the price of Assos for about three times as much!
    Cake makes me happy
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    +1 for Sudocrem.

Asda's may be cheaper but is there anything better?

Yes, I have tried Assos.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    +2 for Sudocrem :D
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    +3 for Sudocrem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sudocrem is great cos if you've ever had a child you'll have about 4 tubs of this hanging round for years after.....

Dunno why anti bacterial properties should be a seller ? I am gonna wash my bum and my shorts after a ride !
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I use something like Vaseline. Called Bag Balm (http://www.bagbalm.com/). Comes highly recommended by many cyclists.

Don't be put off by the fact it is used commercially for cow udders (yes, seriously). 'Loaded with lanolin'.

I have cycled thousands on miles with this stuff and never had a problem. Have tried the other stuff, but this works better. Go figure.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Pokerface wrote:
    I use something like Vaseline. Called Bag Balm (http://www.bagbalm.com/). Comes highly recommended by many cyclists.

Don't be put off by the fact it is used commercially for cow udders (yes, seriously). 'Loaded with lanolin'. ...
    If I remember correctly, it used to be called Udder Balm and was re-branded. It seems to be popular in Canada.
    Pokerface wrote:
    I have cycled thousands on miles with this stuff and never had a problem. Have tried the other stuff, but this works better. Go figure.
    Not you specifically Pokerface, but do you lot really need to use some sort of cream? I sometimes get the impression that it's trotted out as standard issue, for cyclists, on forums. I too have cycled thousands of miles and have never, ever used any creams on my derriere. I've not had any flora or fauna thriving on my sweaty behind, nor had any boils or pustules of any kind.

Or am I a freak?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Must admit - I havent used any cream for years. Not since they stopped using real chamois leather for shorts. No problems either.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I never use to use anything but I have notice, since getting the road bike.
    I get chaffing but tried just Vaseline on my last short ride, on problems at all.

Fingers crossed this it :roll: