test

paulosoxo
paulosoxo Posts: 3,413
edited September 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I'd be looking at the Carrera Subway 2, the Giant Escape or the Hardrock Rigid for a good start. The hardrock is probably the most MTB or the lot, but they're all reasonably cheap enough that they could be kept as a commuter bike, and buy yourself a proper MTB that'll take the abuse that you'll give it, should you get the biking bug!

and you will!

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">
<font color="red">My Photos</font id="red"> <font color="blue">My Inbred</font id="blue"> <font color="teal"></font id="teal">My Carrera Gryphon <font color="black">My Single Speed</font id="black"> <font color="green">TyMBR</font id="green">
</font id="size1">

Comments

• Aux1
    Aux1 Posts: 865
    The hardrock is nice!

P.s. Dave, maybe you'd need to buy a wider, comfortable seat like those on the city/trekking bikes for the beginning, MTB seats can be narrow and hard... see first how it feels when you get the bike, and if it doesn't fit then find one that feels alright. You can put the original seat back later!

Bad English - ze most spoken lengwidz in ze werld!

KTM Ultra Flite 2007
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    The Hardrock has a very strong frame. The earth tremors when I do a bunny-hop[;)]

But whatever you get, even though it's only for the road for starters, get your lbs to true and tension the wheels properly.

<center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    I started to ride to work in Feb 2006, I was 6ft, 16 stone and was closer to 40 than 30! I would be out of breath walking up stairs (people called me darth vador - it was that bad!).

I started riding to work about 5 miles each way (around 20 mins riding ), after 1 year I now weigh 12.5 stone and have never felt better(ever). It takes at least 6 weeks for it to become a habit and is now just part of my daily routine.

I walked up Snowdon with my Son this summer - it's always been an ambition of mine (you may laugh!), but it was one of the best days of my life, we flew up and when we arrived at the top no one was there (we got there before the first train arrived).

I've also cut back on what I eat, I think the cycling helps as I can really feel it if I've overdone it for a bit.

People in work thought I couldn't do it, but it was that, that kept me at it.

Go for it - it's going to be hard at first but boy it is worth the effort.

My Photo's
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98234388@N00
    My Video's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6DI7u19lM
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • proximo
    proximo Posts: 785
    i'll secont what dsmiff said, i was (and probably still are) a bit over weight however i have been cycling to work every day since myself, dsmiff, his son and seagull went round llandegla and i couldnt make it, so i go determined. now i recon i could go round without stopping, my advice is, get a bike, any bike as long as it works and ride as much as you can, like dsmiff said it will eventually become a habbit! and watch the lb's drop!

he who dares wins!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7357821@N06/
  • Thats the way to go until you decide to go off roading.The easier you make it the more confidence you will get.Be warned about puncture resistent tyres,somebody on this forum got 2 punctures in one day.Wasnt a happy chappy.I cant remember what tyres he bought now though,but goodluck with the riding and enjoy.

Charge Duster Ti

When the going gets tough,The tough get going
    www.flickr.com/photos/theninj
  • Remember the pedals have different threads dave.They tighten towards front of bike.L/S left thread- R/S right thread.Nice one with the roof rack.Thats my only fear too.

Charge Duster Ti

• Aux1 I thought you was a pratt when you first came on here,but im glad to say i was proper wrong.I think your humour threw me a bit,like from one side of the room to the other lol.Keep it up you make me chuckle at times.good man[:p][:)][:D][8D]

Charge Duster Ti

• Haha waiting for that dave.I might like my men big haha.Pedal all sorted then just check it from time to time.Like every ride.

Charge Duster Ti

• I too got back into riding mainly for fitness reasons last year. I bought a bike through a 'Cycle to Work' scheme with the intention of commuting on it and occasionally taking it offroad.

After less than a year, I'd taken it on some epic wilderness treks, given it over 1200 miles of abuse, and lost more off me than the bike weighed.

It's been 15 months, I'm riding the commute 2 or 3 times a week (7 miles each way), am offroad pretty much every weekend, and am competing in my first race in July. I've lost 2.5 stones without making any dietary changes, perhaps I even eat more than I did. On the downside, I've already upgraded; I've now got a full susser for weekends and so my bank balance has taken a dent.

My (convoluted) point is that you may find that the riding to and from work opens new doors from you, and once you start getting the real buzz from hammering it to and from work you may end up making other changes that further improve your wellbeing.

Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy it.

al
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MasteWuSays</i>

I'm from the States so I don't really know what the deuce a "stone" is,
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

14lbs
  • Welldone dave,i think this time next year yours will be a good ending story for a change.Keep to a routine and you wont look back.Enjoy

Charge Duster Ti

• It's great to hear that the riding is working out for you, it'll only get better if you keep at it.

As for getting a stand for it - I find the best way to keep it upright without scraping it is to balance against the back tyre and not the frame. It also makes it easier to lock, it means you can get the lock through the back wheel and the frame too.
  • Parkpre - I totally agree with you in the sense that nicer bikes mean more riding. I started on a Rockhopper last year, and have bought an Enduro Expert for the weekends. This isn't to say that riding the first bike isn't fun, it's just good to have an impractical bike to jump things with.

Dave - don't listen to our stories of buying more bikes, once you've got used to your first bike you'll find it becomes a money pit!! It's good to hear that it's going well though, and while you'll find the first few times you do the 5.5 absolutely kills you, once you master it you'll be raring to go for the next challenge.

I got my Rockhopper in Feb06 to do a 4 mile flat commute with the smallest of uphills on it at the halfway point. I wouldn't even class it as a hill, more a small incline that you wouldn't notice if you walked it. On my first day, I got to the incline and had to get off and push. Then I kept going and got further up. Then one day I made it up.
    These little improvements kept going to the point that, after about 4 months of commuting 3-4 days a week, I got my time for the commute down from an average of 35 minutes to my record of 16 minutes (the god of traffic lights was looking down on me that morning!!)
    It's amazing when you look back and see how fast you improve and how better you feel for it.

The same thing happened to me when I moved house in October, I'm now 7 miles away with an amazing road downhill on the way in (30mph+ on an MTB). The ride back home was hell and it still is, but my fitness has kept on improving by my continued attempts at it and I'm getting up the monster hill quicker every time.

With regards to cycling with the kids, when I get to the stage that I do have them, I'm making that a priority. It's great that you're all getting exercise and participating in a healthy activity as a family.

al
  • Well done Rob that's great, keep up the good work!

There's a gentle ride planned for Chopwell tomorrow night (not the usual route, just along the fireroad paths) if you're interested, or there's a gentle ride planned for Hamsterley for Sunday too if you fancy coming along (while the big boys are playing in Guisborough Woods I thought I'd go somewhere else!).

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
  • I can't remember what they said they were doing, there's a few folk going of all different capabilities, I can't access my emails at the minute so I don't have the start time to hand, if I remember rightly we're meeting at Wood N Wheels at 10am, but I'll check and let you know.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Stuff TyMBR In my dreams Myspace My flickr photos</font id="size1">
  • I've just read through this entire thread and I've got to say well done to you Dave. Not only are you making progress with your personal goals (and enjoying yourself at the same time) but you are also giving a lot of people hope and inspiration with their own goals.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see how everyone is progressing - you never knowI may even start tracking my progress once I get a bike in the next few weeks!
  • Haha, I love this thread, last October I was 26st, after revising my eating habbits and playing rugby and american football I was down to 23, hopefully by august I will be down to 21 st, it is stupid really but my aim for this year is to weigh less then my age, I didn't think it would ever be possible but with a little bit of hard work and determination it pays off.

Well it was going well untill the end of easter, but then rugby and american football finished, now my exercise has stopped, (apart from the odd 10mile ride and fr session) and with new work commitments leaving me with very little spare time my diet has suffered.

Well I start my new job next week and my xc bike (hopefully) should be ready next week, so will get out and do evening rides every night.

I think one of the most important things is to have a goal, lots of small short term ones, but then one big one.

My goals at the moment, lose 1 1/2 stone by august and do lots of riding for a trip to the alps at the end of august.

Keep it up, this has given me the motivation I need to start agian with a vengence.

New Pics

My GSpot, Rockhopper and Chameleon (now sold)

Check this out

www.mapmyride.com
  • I know it is very simple, i waqs amazed at how simple it was. The problem comes in when you over complicate it. I do stick to what you say and have lost 3 stone, just at the moment i am working 100hr weeks, but that stops next week.

I will keep updating my post, now all i have to do is find a pair of scales so i can wiegh myself!

New Pics

Check this out

www.mapmyride.com
  • 12.75lbs is very impressive, really glad to hear everything is paying off!

New Pics

Check this out

www.mapmyride.com
  • Damn, wish i could lose the weight at the rate you are mate. But saying that i am not weighing myself, i just want to be able to wear all the shirts i have put at the back of the wardrobe as when i put them on now it looks like i am with child[:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Wrath '07
  • If Mars Confectionery hadn't invented Revels I'd be 2 stone lighter.

• In the last 3 weeks i have cut out takeaways/coke/crisps and am now eating healthier than i ever have. I am still drinking beer tho which is probably limiting my weightloss quite a bit, but to make up for it i am trying to ride about 70-100 miles a week....which i am actually doing which is quite good.

Still got man boobs tho[;)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Wrath '07
  • muddymart
    muddymart Posts: 20
    saying all this, we've just had fish and chips this evening,looks like im going to have to do an extra few miles.
  • Mmmmm chips![:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Wrath '07
  • do NOT post anything like that again else your blocked...
    NO more warnings!

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Be respectful.. read the rules in the FAQ..
    BTW not aimed at KF.. the previous posts which now have been removed.

<center><font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Check my <font size="2"><b>NEW </b></font id="size2">Tried, Tested and Recommended kit
    Click here to see what items i am currently reviewing and testing
    My Full sus ride My Single Speed Full Sus Lower Wyre Car Park
    <b>WhatMB Forum Members Flickr Group. Please join up</b> My Flickr photo Album
    <hr noshade size="1"><b><font color="black">'try before you buy else prepair to cry!'</b> </font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • adamskib
    adamskib Posts: 53
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Woody</i>

WMB's gotta use some of this thread for a feature - or two. Other magazines are desperate for this level of interactivity. No need for made-up letters with ambiguous sign-offs.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I couldn't agree more.... all sorts of stories, all with one central thread... "Mountainbiking turned my life around!"

That has to be a great article[:)]
  • sylphie74
    sylphie74 Posts: 8
    I noticed these posts that didn't get transferred from the WMB forum. I edited the formatting a bit to make things easier to read. My apologies if I accidentally deleted anything important.

Note to moderators: feel free to delete this, of course, if you can get these posts back!

koldphuzion
    Posted - 29/06/2007 : 15:26:52
    Dave, keep up the good work mate.
    It took me abour 6 months, then i put a little back on, then lost it again. It take

time for your body to adjust and at first its very easy to put it on again.
    I've been this weight for nearly 3 years now, after that length of time it becomes

the norm.

gungun24
    posted - 29/06/2007 : 23:45:01
    Well today compleated my first proper off road xc ride, at 20miles, came off once and

smashed my helmet but the feeling of reaching the top without stopping is immense.

Much like riding all the way home dave so well done for that. See next week you can

ride the scenic way home.

maddra22
    Posted - 30/06/2007 : 01:04:20
    Hi had my weekly weigh in and lost 3lbs. Realy pleased as have struggled to get much

cycling done as I am still not very confident and pretty much everywhere has been

under 5ft of water. Fingers crossed we don't get any more End of Days type floods I

will get out this weekend.

freakybacon
    Posted - 30/06/2007 : 10:32:15
    Excellent news from maddra there! I passed Sheffield on friday,and it still looked a

bit damp- best of luck there. Meanwhile the entire forum waits excitedly for Dave

Piggotts update! Come on mate, we're all behind you!

Unklehomer
    Posted - 01/07/2007 : 16:33:35
    Well I just plugged my wellbeing into this thread and recharged double quick and now

glows a happy magnolia colour and hmmms contentedly...

More of what has gone before really, well done to everyone, everything i've read is

utterly true, this thread pretty much is a feature, the mag has to use it.

I was listening in on work collegues the other day (women but i don't think it

matters) saying how it would be great to have a life style where you could eat what

you like, and jst have a way of loosing it, still loose wait and be healthy and

energetic. I said that's my life style... they all looked blank... I ride to work

while you get taxis... still look blank, put more crisps in mouth

I Lost 2st in four months a couple of years ago, through big change in diet and

running/cycling, and ever since have cycled to work everyday, and since lost another

stone and a lot more fat as it turned to pedalling power. I'm still a little on the

belly ---(it used to hang over belt - oh yeah the ladies loved that "Here, let me

lift that out of the way for you sweetheart..." noo not so much)

And if i ever want to pig out, like everyone says, go for the 30 miler... (it was 10

to begin with) gain the ability to sleep for a day and eat a whole lasagne and still

loose weight!

i have a massive appetite (i have never been beaten in an eatathon and my record at

pizza hut is 24 slices) and i engage in pass times that increase my appetite

#cough#... when i was a kid i never put on wieght, but i'm not growing any more and

everyone in my family still treats me as a human food disposal unit... In short i

love food, and with out a daily ride of 14 miles a day I'd be at least 2 St the other

direction...

Hats off to everyone who's part of the above, stick with it, it gets easier... and

even more fun... and keep posting and encouraging others. Double Hats off to Dave for

starting it too!!! All hail!!

sylphie74
    Posted - 01/07/2007 : 17:01:15
    I've really been enjoying reading everyone's posts on this thread - it truly is

inspiring to hear the succcess stories, and the hope that those of us just on the

beginning of this path have found.

As for my own progress, I've lost between 7-13 lbs in the past month, depending which

day I step on the scale, and biking has increased from 1.5 mile rides to 4-5 mile

rides (all on roads - I don't trust my bike not to buckle under me if I hit a big

rock or hole). I've got a long way to go, but it's definite improvement, and I can

see muscles where I couldn't before! Other improvements - I used to notice every

little 1-2 ft rise as a "hill" and now I can bike up real (smallish - 40-80 ft)

hills. I still have to walk up the steep ones, and I figure that may not change until

I've lost more weight, but it doesn't matter. I'll walk them until I can ride them.

Perhaps the biggest change - I realized as I was goign to get my shower this morning,

that I hadn't done anything to get sweaty in a day and a half, and it felt wrong! So

out I went to remedy that. :)

So, congratulations to everyone who's working and playing hard to get fit. Please

keep posting - we're building something really powerful here.

davepiggott13
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 09:16:43
    Following an 'odd' week it's results time again. I weighed in at 22.25 stone, a

weekly loss of 1.75lbs, total loss over five weeks of 18.75lbs and an average weekly

loss of 3.75lbs. I obviously didn't lose as much as I had done previous weeks but

considering the week I had I was very pleased.
    I haven't cycled since my previous post a week ago! My bike has been at Halfords to

get the rear wheel replaced and also for it's 6-week service. I could have collected

it a few days ago but seemed pointless due to the weather as I wasnt gonna get a

chance to ride it anyway. Also, I had the day out Saturday at a wedding and was

unable to stick to my eating habits in any way. All in all, I would have been pleased

to have stayed the same weight this week so to lose almost 2lbs is excellent and I'm

very happy.
    Am collecting my bike this morning and normal service will be resumed this evening

after work (so long as the weather holds out of course!).

hsa- Well done on your success story thus far. It seems you've definitely got the

bug, and have even passed it to your wife. I am really looking forward to the times I

get to ride with my wife and children, and when my youngest is off his stabilizers

we'll be able to do so much more together. It was odd to read about the Brecon

Beacons in that way, I have only been there with the military and it was anything but

fun!

ratty2k- Well done for quitting the fags, I know how hard that is (18 months for me

now). It is quite normal to put some weight on when quitting according to my GP,

something to do with changes to your chemical balance or something (thought I put it

more down to using it as an excuse to eat more!). You are right, rather a few lbs

than cancer. I have put on about 2 stone in the time since quitting the fags, which

is excessive and not just to do with stopping smoking. However, if before quitting

someone had said that i could successfully become a non-smoker and never look back

but i'd put on 2 stone I'd have ripped their arm off for the deal! Cycling is the

perfect antidote.

freakybacon- 10k? Very impressive. You said "I reckon this thread is not just about

"mountain biking changed my life" but how people can to a great degree alter their

circumstances rather than just claiming to be a victim", and I agree. But it is also

whatever the reader wants it to be. For me it is something else which keeps me going

with both my healthy eating eating and cycling, for others it may be something which

helps kickstart them into making a change, for others just interesting reading, and

for others who knows? People are free to post what they like and take what they like

from this thread.

Guilliano- Glad to know cycling has helped you in a positive way like it has me. You

are only the 2nd person I know who has a job doing something they love (the other is

my friend Matt who has always wanted to be a lorry driver and now is), and you can't

beat that. If ever you're finding your wallet getting too heavy, you could send some

this way lol.

koldphuzion- After you had lost the weight, did your eating or exercise habits

change? Or was there some other reason you put some back on before losing it again

and it levelling out? Any tips for keeping it off?

gungun- 20 miles xc? Very impressive. As you have probably read I haven't had any

riding in this last week, but looking forward to getting back in the saddle this

evening. I am a long way off your fitness level, but I'm on the way!

maddra22- You have done well to lose 3lbs, and to ride at all this week. It would

seem the Gods are conspiring to keep us off our bikes! It can only last so long. If

you can have a successful week in weather like that, nothing will stop you.

Unklehomer- I knew that in theory you could eat more and just exercise more to make

up for it but didnt know it would actually work in reality, so I'm glad you posted.

Very funny what you said about the ladies. Would be interesting to see if they give

up their taxis but my guess is no. There are people who talk about it, and those who

'just do it' (sorry Nike). This thread is for the latter.

Sylphie74- Thanks for posting again. For anyone who doesnt know, Sylphie is my

partner in all this. We met through this forum, and though we are divided by the

Atlantic we are together in spirit and are helping each other through the harder

times. We both have a lot of weight to lose, and a lot of improvements to gain.

Sylphie has had to deal with far more emotional 'walls' than I on our journey so far,

and she has scaled each one magnificently. I am very proud of you, as you know, and

know you will succeed in your efforts.

guilliano
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 09:45:04
    Love the signature line Dave....

RichK
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 09:51:46
    Dave - I wouldn't be unduly concerned about an 'odd' week where you lose less than

you have been (or even none) - as long as the overall general trend is downwards.

Like you - the weather has put a dent in how much I did last week - but somehow

weighed in at under 15 stone (OK, that's 14 st 13 lbs) for the first time years. So

for me thats about 11lbs lost in 12 weeks - I want to lose about 30lbs all told & am

not really bothered if it takes me 2 years+ to do (as long as the general trend is

downwards...).

I also totted up how far I'd gone during June & it came to 180 miles and whilst I'm

not particularly concerned with how far I cycle each evening (it's more about doing

the 20-30 minutes recommended min 4 times a week) that's a lot more exercise than I'd

done in a long time.

guilliano
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 09:56:45
    For those losing weight.... remember that you will build muscle as you ride which

weighs more than fat so in real terms you are losing more than the scales show. The

main thing is that you all enjoy riding, the weight loss is just an added bonus

Paul the commuter
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 10:04:19
    What I was told by the owner of a gym once, if you want to loose weight and burn fat,

turn down the resistance setting on the excercise bike, and pedal/ cycle for longer,
    ie if someone came along she would advise them to sit on a bike for 30-40 mins and

spins the pedals round and get the heart rate up. but if you want the muscle to

increase the resistance.

guilliano
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 10:07:39
    That's true, but you will still build muscle through any exercise and when riding you

will have more resistance than on an exercise bike

hsa
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 10:31:37
    After I lost about a stone I started bottoming out and even put on a bit. I noticed

quite early on leg/shoulder/arm muscles and tone and I assumed then that any weight

gain would be because of thie extra muscle. Also I was finding that my usual 22km

loops off-road were becoming easier and I wasn't really pushing myself as I was at

the beginning so I started upping the distances (most I've managed is 38km off-road)

and going out more often for quick 10km bursts. The weight started coming off but it

is evening out again now. 14.5 or 15st is where I want to be.

Dave the Beacons are fantastic for biking! Not all nightmarish stuff either, there

are some short family routes around. The scenery is what it's all about though. That

and getting muddy :)
    Go to Top of Page

RichK
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 11:03:33
    Perhaps weight isn't the 'proper' measure we should all be using? (although is a

useful indicator). What I really want is to drop a trouser size (or even 2) - so

perhaps a measure of my 'circumference' (ok, ok, beer gut) would be a more

appropriate measure?

guilliano
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 11:06:51
    My aim is to get back to a 32" waist and expand the chest from 39" to 40" as well as

losing the extra half a chin.

ratty2k

Wibble!
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 12:27:02
    32" waist? god not had one of them for tooooo many years! I'd be happy at 36" at the

moment- slowly getting there tho'!

guilliano
    Posted - 02/07/2007 : 13:15:55
    4 years ago I went up to 17 1/2 stone with a 38 inch waist. 2 years before that I was

11 1/2 stone with a 29 inch waist. I'm now at 34 inches, but cos of excess beer

consumption (especially while I've been off with depression) I have a slightly

bulging belly and love handles that I'd like to lose. Obviously nothing compared to

some that are posting on here but it's my aim.

Konamike
    Posted - 03/07/2007 : 09:59:06
    I have been reading this thread from the start and have to say i have never been so

motivated to ride !! I am a skinny git but im getting on now at 32 so i had started

to turn into a twice a month rider and had my wife nagging me to sell the bike

However........since reading this thread i have been super motivated and make sure i

get out at least three times a week,even in the crappy weather we've been getting

here in Wales.I have discovered new places to ride and generally re-found an

enthusiasm for riding that i have not had since i was about 21. I now feel guilty and

itchy if i dont get out on the bike for a couple of days !

I would like to thank Dave and everyone else who has told their story in this thread

as if it were not for you guys i would have sold the bike and just been a middle aged

man with a beer belly.

Cheers Guys

yukon
    Posted - 03/07/2007 : 18:26:59
    I am thinking about getting into ridding again. I weigh about 25 stone and have been

dieting for a few weeks now. I have also been taking walks regularaly but I think

biking may be a bit more enjoyable.
    Anyway I need bike buying advice, I suppose I could stretch to £500 so a few

suggestions would be more than gratefully recieved.
    Cheers, you lot are an inspiration that should be very proud of yourselves

Andy_B
    Posted - 03/07/2007 : 18:34:36
    GT Avalanche, Claude Butler Cape Wrath, Mongoose Tyax Super, Carrera Fury, all worth

looking at for ~£500

sylphie74
    Posted - 03/07/2007 : 19:30:56
    Hi Yukon, I weigh about (a little more) than you and got a Raleigh Venture, which was

about $400, so probably less than 500 pounds. It's great as far as being comfortable

and feeling secure under my weight, the only downside I've noticed so far is that

it's not a real FAST bike, but then, at my weight and fitness level, I'm not goign to

be going real fast, anyway!

I definitely think you've got a good plan, biking some to mix things up a little with

the walking. I started walking regularly about a month before I started biking, and

alternating between the two has been great. My knees and joints feel much better, and

my walking has continued to improve since I started biking, even though I only walk

about 3 days a week now. It's also really satisfying to see how fast you can build

distance on a bike. 4 weeks ago, when I got mine, I was in PAIN after a mile and a

half. Now I can do five and feel good after, and a short, easy ride is 3 miles. I'm

hoping to do 10 before the end of the summer.

It's great, what you're doing. Adding exercise that's FUN will make a huge difference

in how you view fitness in general. Please keep us posted about your progress!

yukon
    Posted - 03/07/2007 : 19:51:27
    I am liking the GT Avalanch I have to say- I'm so superficial! Any more suggestions

are greatly recieved

ratty2k
    Posted - 03/07/2007 : 20:25:12
    Yukon, you'd be better asking in the beginners part. Possibly in Buying as well, just

so much more coverage of the old "what bike for 500 notes" A lot of the info has been

lost but new threads are appearing...
    But if you like the GT go with it.... try before you buy!! Its a well regarded bike

tho' so if the fit is ok you wont have too many issues. You might need to get the

spring swapped for something heavier at the time (if its not air) as most forks seem

to be for a weight of 12st (ish) You could even buy a cheap rigid fork and swap back

as some weight drops.

As slyphie74 says- you can build the mileage up pretty quick. A few years ago I

didn't ride at all. Once I got some level of fitness I rode my first ever trail

center. I couldnt get up the first climb (still smoked back then....) after never

having so much fun clothed I just kept doing it. Can get right round a 15 mile off

road trail, and recently did my first 50 miler on the road bike. (completely

knackered after!) Looking forward to a 100 miler for charity in September And the

thinner, healthier me that goes along with it!

davepiggott13
    Posted - 04/07/2007 : 09:43:15
    Hi all, thought I'd have a midweek check-in as there had been so much action on this

thread since my last post.

Weight is a funny thing. The statistics suggest I should be a certain weight, and

though I can't remember what it is I know i would look very thin if i ever reached

it. I check my weight loss as it is an easy way to see if my healthy eating and

exercising is still working. I go by the 'three points make a line theory', which is

that if for 3 weeks running I fail to lose weight or even put it on I would know i

need to refine my plans accordingly. Having said that, like a lot of you, I am more

interested in becoming a certain size and shape. What is all this talk about 32" and

36" waists? lol You should try being a 48" waist! I want to be able to buy clothes

that fit well and look good from the High Street, not from the internet or specialist

shops. I want to be able to go to the beach/go swimming without worrying what

everybody is thinking and saying. And most importantly I want to be fit enough to

give my kids a good run for their money at the park, and so that i stay healthy and

live longer to watch them grow up and have their own kids. For me, weight is not so

important, but of course it will drop naturally as i go along. Further, when i weigh

in and see it has dropped again it spurs me on to have another good week.

Yukon - Hi. This is the real reason I am doing a sneaky midweek update (proper one to

follow Monday as normal). I wanted to recommend to you the bike I bought. I have a

Carrera Kraken, which I bought from Halfords. My wife bought one too. We both love

them. They have not been problemless but Halfords have been VERY quick to rectify

them. Try one. Not sure how they compare to the others that have been recommended,

but from reading other posts on this forum I know it is a very personal choice and

what might be ideal for one person will be awful for the next. So my advice is try as

many as you can before you decide. Take on as much advice as possible but make the

decision yours. And then pray for nice weather!

See you again Monday.

Cazzdevil
    Posted - 04/07/2007 : 10:43:56
    I'm starting to get into some seriously bad eating habits again, it's far too easy to

sit at my desk and scoff a bar of chocolate or a bag of sweets a couple of times a

day on top of some biccies with my cups of tea, but it's starting to make me feel

really sluggish and horrible so I've put a stop to it.

As of yesterday morning I've stopped myself buying ANY junk food, have brought a bowl

and some bran flakes into work so I can have proper breakfast (can't ever drag myself

out of bed early enough to have it at home) and having breakfast stops me snacking

mid-morning which is a good thing. I've also put a stop on eating Mars Bars after

rides claiming that I need the energy, I'm opting for a banana or a slice of homemade

flapjack/apricot & fig slice. Hopefully it'll help me drop a couple of pounds!

It must be true what my mother says - true contentment plays havoc with your

waistline.

caw35slr
    Posted - 04/07/2007 : 10:50:35
    Dave, why WMB haven't done a feature on you is beyond me. Bring on DaveWatch!

With everybody piping in with advice, I tried to resist adding my own but I can't

help it. I'd also like to point to the significance of something Paul the Commuter

said.

1. Commit yourself to bad weather riding.

It's summer now, so not riding in the rain means the odd day off (Wimbledon wash-out

notwithstanding). That isn't going to last because, as night follows day, so winter

will come and you need to be in a position to keep riding.

The good news is that Billy Conolly got it spot-on when he said "there's no such

thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes". With the right gear, winter riding is

just fine, indeed I shifted much of my weight riding every Saturday morning through

the winter of 2004/2005. All you need is a decent water/windproof top, some windproof

gloves, a warm hat and some 3/4 lenths shorts (if your knees suffer in the cold).

Maybe WMB could kit you out...

I personally love off-road riding in winter. There are fewer people on the trails

and, if it's cold enough, the mud gets nice and firm!

2. The scenic route.

Paul the Commuter referred to taking the scenic route to/from work. He's made a good

point to the people on the thread who have expressed regret that their commute "is

only X miles each way". Who's dictating your route? You, so take the scenic route! If

it's a perfect day, take the very scenic route.

I love your comments on the shift away from snack outlets - sadly I have replaced

that habit with an addiction to bicycle components...

Looking forward to your next weigh-in. Keep it up big fella, you're a bloody hero.

ratty2k
    Posted - 04/07/2007 : 11:49:37
    Hmm, been my downfall lately. After packing in smoking I just find myself eating too

much. Choccy, crisps, butties etc. Dont know whether its just 'cause food tastes

better now, or whether its like a replacement thats slipped in under the radar. But

gotta put a stop to it.

caw35slr is spot on, commit to bad weather riding! It cant really be avoided, well

certainly at the moment anyway!
    I know Guilliano suffered from depression, so did I. People here are changing thier

lives around one way or another. I do agree that this thread should be highlighted in

the mag......

Big n Daft
    Posted - 04/07/2007 : 12:41:51
    Another fat bloke here!

Currently a smidgen under 20 stone....but 6'4" with it.

Bought a bike....started the healthy eating malarky....

So we'll see how it goes....

Thanks for the inspiration!

BnD
    Embrace uncertainty.
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    Then it dawned on me, with my new cyclists legs, could I not pull it myself? As it goes, i couldn't, but when a passenger helped too, the train rolled forward back onto the juice! I couldn't stop laughing. I bet not many people have pushed a train!
    I hope you gave one of the wheels a kick for good measure!
    I finally have a riding partner who is highly motivated to lose weight himself, so i think iwioll be either cycling or snowoarding everyweekend from now on!