Broken leg for McEwen

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Crashed out of the Tour of Belgium today. From his Twitter:

Had an accident today in tour of Belgium, broke my tibia. Operation, two screws in it.luckily the tendon is ok. Hit a barrier.

Bit of video here:

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/0 ... wen_na_val

Can't see the crash, but it looked like a weird one. Peloton is all strung out in a line in the middle of a wide road.... then there's McEwen all the over on the other side tangled up in his bike!

Also, is that his bone sticking out? 'Cos I'm eating supper here.

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    afx237vi wrote:
    Also, is that his bone sticking out? 'Cos I'm eating supper here.

Looks like it...you having ribs? :lol:

And advice to anyone trying to help unclip a rider:

twist the bike not the broken leg!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    :mrgreen: <- closest Bikeradar gets to a "feeling slightly queasy" emoticon.

Really bad luck for McEwen though. Not sure if he still had enough firepower to challenge Cav in July... but not a good thing to happen.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    You can just see McEwen rolling to a stop at the LHS of the road - looks like he might have clipped a rail or a barrier back along.

Shame.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Really weird crash. the peloton were all strung out in the middle, yet somehow he managed to crash into a road sign at the side? Was he not looking??
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    I think the commentator on RTBF mentioned cramp as a possible cause - must agree that the sight of Robbie's injury was not specially nice.

Brian
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Thats nothing, the next video shows a poor cat being mown down after it looks like it might escape.An English website wouldn't show it.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    hommelbier wrote:
    I think the commentator on RTBF mentioned cramp as a possible cause - must agree that the sight of Robbie's injury was not specially nice.

Brian

Cramp? Jesus, I hope I never cramp up as bad as that! :shock:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Really weird crash. the peloton were all strung out in the middle, yet somehow he managed to crash into a road sign at the side? Was he not looking??

I read it was a plant pot, damn hippy Belgians :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017