Damn Single Pivot - Options?

nitesight
nitesight Posts: 119
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I've got an older Raleigh Airlite 100, don't know it's history but it has SORA STI's but single pivot calipers. Wierd? I'm thinking the Sora has been added later. If it help the frame is a silver colour with a thicker oval downtube.

Can I just buy and throw on some Tektro Dual pivot calipers? I just cannot get them to sit right without moving and rubbing after mild use.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Your current brakes can be centred by using a narrow spanner on the brake side of their mounting to the frame. Old fashioned cone spanners do the job well and are commonly available. You may or may not need to slacken the caliper mounting nut, which is usually a 5mm hex key.

It is because these brakes have a tendency to drift to one side or another in use, that dual pivot were introduced. The drift is inconsequential, however; a little brake pad rubbing has no effect on your progress, and you retain the advantage of a brake which can track a buckled wheel - something dual pivots cannot do. This will seem irrelevant, until you break a spoke far from home.

Your brakes are fine. You don't stand to gain from replacement with new ones.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    As I recall single pivots used to give me fits like that. Never wanted to stay put.
    So you're not alone. Well, maybe you are, as the latest is dual pivot and has been for some time. :wink::wink: Much easier to adjust.