Am i strange??

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
well just wondering if i am strange or its normal for a cyclist?

i work shifts so start at 8:30am and finish at 9pm so dont often get chance to race people alas SCR. havent seen one person commuting my way same time as me (cycling aint as popular here than in that london place)

i am really looking forward on my day off tomo to go out on a ride and hopefully see some people who are commuting to work and have a race with them. on rides before i have come home and said to gf "ive just got another scalp" and she is looking at me like im mad lol

also people have started giving me funny looks and mouthing obscenitites a lot more of late, maybe its cos they are in a tin can and getting fat, or could it be to do with the fact i have started wearing my lycra now i have a road bike lol

no one in my work cycles and everyone i know says they would rather drive, why dont everyone see the joy you can get out of cycling

I have even started going on rides in my lunch hour at work.

i do have a very addivitive personality and feel like i have to ride everyday and constantly trying to beat times etc

am i strange or is this all very normal??

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    You sound like me!

I'll race you up barr beacon tomorrow about 20 past 5 :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'm not sure you're asking an unbiased cross-section of society. Most people who cycle are more than a little odd.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    prawny wrote:
    You sound like me!

I'll be there. ;)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    whyamihere wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    You sound like me!

I'll be there. ;)

Bring it! :shock:

TBF it would be a laugh to see how much slower I am. PM me next time you go hill training over stile cop, I live up the other side of the valley down the road.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    If you want reassurance then you're posting in the right place - now go onto a non-cycling forum and ask the same question. :wink:

I get a lot of verbal abuse off drivers cycling around North Kent. It's one of the reasons I've taken to wearing headphones - just quiet enough so I can still hear the traffic, but loud enough that I can't hear the w*nkers having a go. :twisted:
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    Did you recently get the road bike?

Sounds normal to me really, I don't have time to go out at lunch (+ wouldn't want to be sweaty in the afternoon) but sometimes I get out at 4pm when I'm on the early shift (in the office at 8am) and I take the long way home. I hardly ever see other roadies though due to the earlier starts etc & Poole is full of old people!

Anyway... put it this way, would you ever even think of taking a long way to work / back home in a Car? I doubt it! If we've all got 5 mins spare, I bet most of us take a detour or three on the bike!

It's just such a relaxing, enjoyable way to get to / from work - it's more than just a way of getting to / from work.
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    See nothing wrong with that. People might start to see you as a role model or something.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, but its true. As cyclists we're all a bit strange... :roll:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Possibly a hint of an addictive personality. :lol:

However, who is the more strange/difficult to understand: the person who wears lycra or the person who sits in a metal box in traffic jams every working day when there's no need for them to do so? :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    cjcp wrote:
    Possibly a hint of an addictive personality. :lol:

However, who is the more strange/difficult to understand: the person who wears lycra or the person who sits in a metal box in traffic jams every working day when there's no need for them to do so? :twisted:

Exactly. How boring is that!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Due to a crisis at work I had to rush home after cycling in to get my car to drive to Darlington (nice petrol claim for 280 miles round trip!) so I had my at work suit at home when I got back. (slung my bike in the back of my bosses car and he gave me a lift home)

Due to this I HAD to drive in today :cry: :evil:

I was swearing at EVERY cycle commuter this morning. I was jealous I admit it.

Mind you, my boss did say that as I was okay about rushing off to Darlington I can have 1/2 a day today :D

So I may go 'commuting' this afternoon
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • andy83
    prawny wrote:
    You sound like me!

little bit far for me to commute to lol

maybe we should organise a brummie / yam yam meet up, not fair all these southern types do it!

As for feeling strange i am now just really pi$$ed off

had my bike stolen bout 7 weeks ago and think we are being watched. Had some strange things happen over last few weeks and yesterday more stange things then had a bogus caller thinking it was just my gf in and had shock of life when i answered door. (being six foot, skinhead and broad shoulders does has its advantage although if they knew me would know i wouldnt hurt a fly lol) staying in today to keep eye on things. might have to go out for a ride when my gf gets in, and try find some commuters.

cant wait to move now, horrible thinking you are being watched

why do these scum get away with things and stop me cycling on such a god dam lovely day
  • downfader
    andy83 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    You sound like me!

little bit far for me to commute to lol

maybe we should organise a brummie / yam yam meet up, not fair all these southern types do it!

As for feeling strange i am now just really pi$$ed off

had my bike stolen bout 7 weeks ago and think we are being watched. Had some strange things happen over last few weeks and yesterday more stange things then had a bogus caller thinking it was just my gf in and had shock of life when i answered door. (being six foot, skinhead and broad shoulders does has its advantage although if they knew me would know i wouldnt hurt a fly lol) staying in today to keep eye on things. might have to go out for a ride when my gf gets in, and try find some commuters.

cant wait to move now, horrible thinking you are being watched

why do these scum get away with things and stop me cycling on such a god dam lovely day

Been a fair few of THESE sold around here... not that I want to scare you but burglaries are rising and people have been using all sorts of excuses for them doing it (eg the financial crisis ladeedaa)

You could just be over sensitive after your theft and thats understandable. Have a word with your GF to allay any fears, see if she's noticed anything unusual too, chances are she hasnt. The police have some tips online for home security and it wouldnt hurt to have a read and see what you can do there.
  • andy83
    you know she has just rang me and already ordered one to be delivered tomo, not that one as dont need as many cameras.

to be honest it aint a coincidence, little things from plant pots being nicked to two scallys sitting at bottom of drive on motorbike. i sometimes have to stay at work overnight (this will no longer happen) and inbetween gf leaving for work and me getting back at 9 am (1 and half hours) summin had moved in garden and i need to use two hands to pick it up, like it was a mark or summin

to be honest prob wouldnt have looked to move if bike hadnt been nicked but it really $hit$ you up. honestly dont think im being paranoid, bloke only went to one other house in street and gave no information but took the guys number who lived there, which to me doesnt seem like what a seller will do. also no coincidence bike got nicked evening after lawn mowed, and lawn mowed other day and shed tampered with again. maybe last time just tried their luck for lawn mower and got my pride and joy :(

police have been informed however snotty woman said i should have rang straight away as no good now as they prob gone

i go to work, pay taxes, pay insurance, work hard for my possessions and family and these little scrouts think they can just take it

know this should be in rants but not specific bike related, well it is lol
  • downfader
    ..yeah you can see why some people booby trap their gardens and houses, lol! Dont, obviously, as you'd be liable...

Its all very well the woman on the phone (who in all likelyhood isnt an officer) telling you off but I bet she'd do the same herself. I have noted down plates of suspicious vehicles in the past, I have reported serial speeders on my road... so far nothing bad has come of it. Its just being neighbourly.

Keep a notepad and pen by the window. Some people will carefully take photos or video or vehicles and people. I'm lucky, I have a 400mm lens on my DSLR and can get right in on their face, lol! :wink: :twisted:
  • andy83
    booby traps!! could get some pinchers of hell (if you have never seen the goonies that is wasted)

well have camera in the bedroom and have note pad with everything that has happened

just annoying we have to live like this. as i said before i aint violent in the slightest but wouldnt think twice bout decking an intruder, just whetehr they carry knives or the like nowadays.

with the camera its linked to tv so if it sets off comes on the tv, quite cool really

cant wait to move
  • andy83
    yes think im strange. i saw some bloke just leave his bike outside a shop today when i stopped to go to bike shop (which was shut lol) but he never locked up bike, so i waited til he came out of shop so no one would nick it, and it was only a real rubbish one lol

also last night on way home from work i get my highest speed ever of 36 mph, was so pleased with myself and even text lad from work about it

i am strange, but i like it lol

how nice is it to go on a lovely ride on a sunday morning with no real destination, just go where you please

nearly got killed by a bus today though, felt like getting the reg but just carried on with ride