Completely OK and normal habit that I don't have to justify

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
My gf caught me sniffing my cycle socks* and though it was manky. :shock: It is purely scientific! I need to know how smelly my feet are; it's not like I was going to put them on again if they weren't smelly... 8) Straight in the wash basket honest!

*kona orange ones, not the glorious red ones

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I would worry more if you sniffed your cycle shorts comfort pad........

However, I confess to a sock test, it is not sniffing though, it is dampness or stickyness........
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    As if no male doesn't on most of their clothes - how can you tell if anything is clean?

:lol::lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • tardington
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I would worry more if you sniffed your cycle shorts comfort pad........

However, I confess to a sock test, it is not sniffing though, it is dampness or stickyness........

The pad? Wouldn't it smell of.. you know.. bum sweat?
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I tend to throw used-once clothes down into my floordrobe, and sometimes can't remember how many times it's been worn. Then comes the armpit sniff-test.

Socks not too often (though I've put "oh yes, every day" anyway because of my above habits), mainly if I've forgotten to take fresh socks somewhere and am wondering if I can get away with a 2nd day...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have never worn a pair of socks more than a day.

Unless I didn't come home that night and have to make a journey home in the morning/afternoon/days later in the clothes I wore the night before.

Yes I sniff my socks and other clothes for curiousity purposes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Think of the the amount of extraneous washing that goes on the world over because of the ridiculous notion that one wear = dirty and must be washed.

Tell your gf that you are an environmental crusader and that you are doing your bit for the World by not only cycling to work but also by doing it wearing the same unwashed underwear all week.

Seriously though, one wear one wash must be causing us to use a ridiculous amount of water, detergent and power that is completely unnecessary.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Think of the the amount of extraneous washing that goes on the world over because of the ridiculous notion that one wear = dirty and must be washed.

Tell your gf that you are an environmental crusader and that you are doing your bit for the World by not only cycling to work but also by doing it wearing the same unwashed underwear all week.

Seriously though, one wear one wash must be causing us to use a ridiculous amount of water, detergent and power that is completely unnecessary.

I suppose it depends on your ming level - one leg of my commute and things begin to ming....to the level that I notice (i.e. rancid to other folk). My ming level is high. :(
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    sarajoy wrote:
    I tend to throw used-once clothes down into my floordrobe ...
    OMG! I have one of those! :lol: Never knew what to call it until now.

It's annoying though because I always put my clean clothes there too. :oops:
  • DonDaddyD
    Stuey01 wrote:

This dude doesn't wash!!!! This dude doesn't wash!!!!

Seriously, dude.

There is a huge difference wearing a t-shirt, trousers, jumper, coat, jeans etc more than once compared to wearing underwear and socks more than once

Think about where latter comes into contact with your body and where you are likely to sweat the most. What about the build up of bacteria that sweat, dirt and grime can cause and think of the infections that can cause (atheletes foot can be cause by not changing your socks often enough).

This isn't about the 'extraneous washing'. It's about hygiene.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    no sock niffing here.....but I do wear jeans or jerseys more than once....up to maybe 5 days for jeans....before washing them...

it all depends on what i have been doing in them really...

i.e. home from work....shower....fresh jeans....wear them for 3 hours, then bed. a week of days like that and I get 5 days...

socks...usually 2 pairs a day :shock:
    under-crackers...fresh pair every day.
    lycra shorts...fresh pair everyday.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    Don't sniff them myself.

I just assume that they do need washing.
  • tardington
    I just get curious about how smelly they are - My feet seem pretty good these days but for a while they were pretty whif-o-la.

But who sniffs their shorts pad? :shock:
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I tend to go more by sight than smell for the shorts pad... :D
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • tardington
    Just sniffed one from the wash basket* and it smelled okay. A bit sweaty. A few hairs on though.

*for SCIENCE
  • Stuey01
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

This dude doesn't wash!!!! This dude doesn't wash!!!!

Seriously, dude.

There is a huge difference wearing a t-shirt, trousers, jumper, coat, jeans etc more than once compared to wearing underwear and socks more than once

Think about where latter comes into contact with your body and where you are likely to sweat the most. What about the build up of bacteria that sweat, dirt and grime can cause and think of the infections that can cause (atheletes foot can be cause by not changing your socks often enough).

This isn't about the 'extraneous washing'. It's about hygiene.

Exagerating to make a point, clearly I thought but apparently not.

My undercrackers are a strictly one wear one wash approach, but I see a lot of people appying that to, say, a t-shirt they have worn once for a few hours - ridiculous. A guy I used to live with washed his jeans after one or two wears, insane! and they all ended up a rank stonewash type colour as a result. My jeans are practically walking themselves before getting washed and look better as a result.

Do you cycle home wearing the same socks that you cycling into work wearing?

If so, what is the difference between that and wearing them the next day, given that we've already established that multiple wears aren't the issue now we are just haggling over how many are acceptable.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Take them off at the end of the day, put them in the dirty clothes hamper, empty contents into washing machine once a week with some detergent. Take out when done and hand to dry.

Your sniffing problem solved!

Now on to North Korea and its bonkers leadership...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    i believe its called the smell test, it really exists so that teenagers ( which is when you adopt the habit(naturally)) can tell if sweat is stale or not, and then re-wear clothes if they dont smell much, or wash them if they stink (a.k.a have been worn recently)
  • b0y1nterupted
    b0y1nterupted Posts: 124
    White Line wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:
    I tend to throw used-once clothes down into my floordrobe ...
    OMG! I have one of those! :lol: Never knew what to call it until now.

It's annoying though because I always put my clean clothes there too. :oops:

oh yes the floordrobe....

but does anyone know the awesomeness that is a doordrobe???
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i went further than the doordrobe and put hooks up on both sides of the wardrobe....one side for dressing gowns....

the other side for worn but not ready for the wash jeans/jerseys etc....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    Exagerating to make a point, clearly I thought but apparently not.

I was only joking about you not washing.

My undercrackers are a strictly one wear one wash approach, but I see a lot of people appying that to, say, a t-shirt they have worn once for a few hours - ridiculous.
    Yep same here. Jeans are another thing that don't get washed unless:
    (i) They actually stink.
    (ii) They have visible dirt on them.

But then I don't wear jeans every day or even every week so I could go (several) months without washing them.
    Do you cycle home wearing the same socks that you cycling into work wearing?

My commute is 7miles. So yes, unless its raining then I will wear different socks I wore to work than the pair I ride home in.
    If so, what is the difference between that and wearing them the next day, given that we've already established that multiple wears aren't the issue now we are just haggling over how many are acceptable.

We haven't established that multiple wears aren't the issue. They are. Its the type of clothing multiplied by the frequency of wearing, divided by the usuage (7mile commute or 20mile commute) added to weather conditions :wink:

All I'm saying is that there is a difference between wearing socks and "undercrackers" (or even a t-shirt, depending on what you did in the t-shirt the day before i.e exercise) two days in a row compared to wearing something like jeans.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Stuey01
    DDD, i think we are in agreement here.

I'm curious though, how many pairs of socks do you get through in a day?

It sounds like 1 on the way in, a 2nd for in the office, a 3rd for the way home, then presumably a 4th after you get home?
  • DonDaddyD
    Stuey01 wrote:
    DDD, i think we are in agreement here.

I'm curious though, how many pairs of socks do you get through in a day?

It sounds like 1 on the way in, a 2nd for in the office, a 3rd for the way home, then presumably a 4th after you get home?

OK a day like today. 1 pair.

In the winter when its raining 2 pairs. 1 to wear in, and 1 to wear during work and on the way home. (At home I generally get out of all my cycle clothing.

3 laps around Richmond park or long rides. 1 pair of sock to be changed once I've finished cycling and changed out of my cycling clothes.

I tend to go commando so no worries on the undercrackers. I have 5 pairs of padded shorts to wear to work. 2 3/4 length shorts. 1 3/4 length bibs 2 full length tights (I need another 3/4 length bibs and possible 2 bib tights). I wear any combination of these on the weekends I also have an assortment of cycling tops so I don't have to wear them more than once per day.

Basically clothes I wear when I do exercise or patake in exerted activity I tend not to wear beyond the period of exercise or more than once a day if I can.

now my feet are itching...
    Food Chain number = 4

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    does it make it worse if its not just socks???