Irritating padded shorts issue

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited May 2009 in MTB general
My Altura "undershorts" are padded but the padding has all bunched up into one lump - not at all useful.

Is this normal, can I do anything about it and should I send them back?! Only had them two months.

Of course I can buy more but don't want the same thing to happen!

They are like these:

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=216

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Had a similar problem with a pair of Fox shorts recently. Made a small slit in the crotch area and pulled the bunched up padding out, only to find that it wasn't padding at all but in fact a felt liner of some sort. So i pulled it through the slit as far as i could and cut it off. they're fine now.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    They shouldn't do this at all, so i would send them back with anot fit for purpose style letter on it. pads on my enduro's and fox shorts are fine and the fox ones i have been riding for a year and half maybe closer to 2
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    They shouldn't do this at all, so i would send them back with anot fit for purpose style letter on it. pads on my enduro's and fox shorts are fine and the fox ones i have been riding for a year and half maybe closer to 2

If i sent a pair of my used shorts back i'd end up in Guantanamo Bay on a terrorism rap!
  • Thewaylander
    But you could excape... smoke some ride cheaters and all sorts!! sorry been watching crappy films again
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers - will see what I can do. Most annoying.

Anyone know who distributes their kit (and maybe a phone number)? Is it slightly hateful Zyro?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surprise surprise - they need a receipt or won't help. Does ANYONE keep a receipt for a pair of pants?!!

This is the third time Zyro have been hopeless.

I will avoid any of their products from now on.
  • Thewaylander
    Ok Matt,

Through the 1979 act you don't need a receipt as the shop isn't legal inforced to give you one.(could help if you have a bank statement with the transfer point) but the best course within first 6 months is actually to go back to the retailler where you are legally entitled to a refund or replacement mate as they are not fit for purpose I.E lasted 2 months.

So figure out where you got them, find the transfer in your account if it was an order on line then get visiting or calling mate.

Hope this helps
  • Surf-Matt
    Waylander - cheers.

Got them from my LBS who should help out but it seemed better to go direct to the distributor.

I had an issue with another one of their products a while back and they were hopeless then too. Annoying as they carry some good brands.
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    the same happened to my altura shorts 2 weeks ago. they are now in the bin. will never buy anything altura again.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I avoid Altura for shorts, they're not cut well and cheaply made IME (their Night Vision windproof jacket is surprisingly good though...).
  • Surf-Matt
    nferr - I have a Night Vision and it is a good item. Writing has all but peeled off but it still works fine. But yes, I'll now avoid them.

Any recommendations? Got two pairs of Endura shorts (Singletracks - short and 3/4 length) - are the clip in Endura ones any good?
  • Thewaylander
    I have the endura shorts, there bumping mate. much better than my Fox shorts
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    My girlfriend has endura ones and they look a lot better. I will try buying Endura ones next.

I've got a pair of Specialized shorts with liners and they are the best I've tried.

I've also got a pair of Fox Epic shorts which are nice but the liner is pathetic. Very uncomfortable and then seams often cause a lot of pain.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have some Endura Humvee's (short, mid and longs). The shorts themselves are excellent, withstood several years of use. The clip in pad is not as comfy as my DHB £14 lycra shorts, so I wear these underneath - no real need to have them clipped in if you use the belt (otherwise outer shorts will slide down). The price is good. I think the latest models have a much improved pad.
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    Make sure you check all the stitching on any endura product!

I wont touch their stuff anymore as I have had a terrible run with their products and it has all been rubbish. Every item has fallen apart

Endura Lycra undershort...seams came apart
    Endura singletrack short....seams came apart velcro for leg lowers not sewn on straight so scatches the back of my leg constantly
    Endura Humvees, stitching came apart, supplied belt broke.

Annoying thing is that the materials they use are great but the build quality by varies greatly.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have been lucky with my Humvees, obviously. Had them several years, touring, commuting and mtb use, not a stitch out of place.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have a couple of pairs of wiggles dhb padded unders.....

I find them much more comfortable than the endura unders that came with my humvees....and I never click those into the shorts either...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Thewaylander
    Have to say my humvee's are very neatly stiched and just well made
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    my humvees are lasting well and i'd say a good short but the liner is pants hehe a little abrasive for my delicates. my new sugoi gustavs are soooo much better, better fit, better material and much better pad. hunt around you can find them with 30-40 quid off some places :)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Have to say my humvee's are very neatly stiched and just well made

mine were also superb quality.....until I literally ripped the ar$e right of them whilst at the same time tearing my cruciate ligament and splitting the cartlidge in my knee :(

Still got the inners though...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Surf-Matt
    My Singletracks seem pretty good - the short ones appear tougher for some reason though.

Hmmm - tricky. Guess I'll have to bin the Alturas? I HATE wasting money! :evil: