What surfaces do you use your road bike on?

Nerubian
Nerubian Posts: 11
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Strictly tarmac or concrete?.

Or are you happy using it on less stable but still relatively flat paths like gravel or compacted earth etc.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used my road bikes on all sorts of surfaces. Its more the grip that you need worry about than the surface.

Not a problem using it on country park paths and places like that - if it was seriously stoney or rocky then you'd be mad to though.

Check out Paris Roubaix vids to see what road bikes can cope with.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    There are a number of Sustrans type cycle paths close to where I live, the surfaces on them can vary quite alot for tarmac to loose gravel, but I still use my road bike on them every now and again. As the previous post said, road bikes are more than strong enough, you might get more punctures, but it's worth it to get away from all the cars...
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The Eroica's strade bianche is another example thats perhaps more suited to the UK (and it's lack of crazy cobbles)
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/ ... PIC9115657[/i]
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I use my road bike on all surfaces.
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    There are a number of Sustrans type cycle paths close to where I live, the surfaces on them can vary quite alot for tarmac to loose gravel, but I still use my road bike on them every now and again. As the previous post said, road bikes are more than strong enough, you might get more punctures, but it's worth it to get away from all the cars...

I empathise and even got a `cross bike to assist with my own `surface flexibility' but really the thing is we need *more bikes on roads* to get drivers to live with our reality instead of reinforcing their idea that we should slum it on bad/separate surfaces.
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    The Eroica's strade bianche is another example thats perhaps more suited to the UK (and it's lack of crazy cobbles)
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/ ... PIC9115657[/i]

What kind of tyres would they be using on this surface?

Would you take your best bike onto this surface?
    Still suffering with wind
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I try to stay on the road, but a few times I have done a bit of cross-country due to misjudging corners.

I wouldn't risk my road tyres on any of the tracks round here, the flints used to take chunks out of my mtb tyres, and all the hedge trimmings seem to include inch long thorns
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Ditto: what tyres are best for this? I did the Thames tow path to Kew on Monday, but on a hybrid. Don't think 23 smooth road tyres would like it.
  • cougie
    My michelin GP4000s seem to be able to take most kinds of terrain.

I guess the Eroica riders arent gonna be on their winter bikes !
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Yes, best bike which has Michelin Pro 3's. Same setup as I would use for the Flanders Sportive and if I'm riding bits of the Roubaix course. Not sure I would ride through Arenberg again though, that feels like your bike is going to break every 25 metres or so...
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I ride pretty much anything that I can stay upright on. I get a perverse enjoyment out of spicing up a road ride with off-road sections, and it's surprising how capable inch slicks can be on loose surfaces. It's a different kind of challenge, requiring speed and foresight, and it really surprises mountain bikers..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on how much clearance you've got and therefore the size of tyres you can fit - most road bikes can accommodate 25mm and some 28mm - but you still need a few mm clearance under the brakes to prevent mud build-up. A 28mm touring tyre like a Schwalbe Marathon will withstand all sorts of abuse - but they're heavy. As well as riding Flanders and Roubaix umpteen times on my Colnago, it's also been ridden down some seriously rocky trails - but I tend to use my Kuota Kross for that kinda stuff. TBH I wouldn't risk race-oriented rubber like PR3s or GP4000s on anything but smooth tarmac, they are far too prone to cuts.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Most surfaces - towpaths, bridleways, etc. You just have to be a bit more attentive and steer around rocks and big potholes.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I occasionally come down the path at the back of my house - the mud and rocks are fine, the tree roots make me a bit nervous though.
  • I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the CiCLE classic

http://www.cicleclassic.co.uk/ - it's the Rutland equivalent of Paris-Roubaix mixed with the hills of Flanders!

pic here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2009/apr09/rutland_melton09/CicleClassic09_P14
  • cougie
    My GP4000s arent delicate at all. Very sturdy tyres.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I find the GP4000s overrated and certainly cut easier than my current tyres.

I use Krylions and they are just as fast as GP4000's and are much more reliable by a long way.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    cougie wrote:
    My GP4000s arent delicate at all. Very sturdy tyres.

GP4000s are pretty robust, quite like hosepipes :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr