First tour - Advice please!

arc123chief
arc123chief Posts: 28
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi All

I am wanting to do a short tour somewhere in the UK later in the year. I am hoping to do this on a Giant FCR2 (which I think is very similar to the SCR with flat handle bars), and make any suitable adjustments that will be required....... SO.......

First off, is the bike suitable?? I was hoping that a change of tyres (to something a little wider - not sure what size would fit, and be suitable though?), addition of a rack/panniers might suffice?? Would I also be looking at changing the rear wheel to something a little more robust??

I'm not sure where to go yet, but was thinking about coast to coast, or the trans penine trail - The route will depend a lot on how capable the bike is for any gravel/slight off-road surfaces.......

So, any tips/advice would be hugely sppreciated, as I would like to get planning the trip :-)

Many Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Lay all the kit you want to take on the bed. Put back what you really don't need then halve what's left.

Where are you going to hang your kit? FCR doesn't appear to have a rack mount, so you are into backpack country which raises your CofG. If you have a seatpost mounted rack you are limited to the weight you can carry. This is not a stopper if you ride in kit you can wear off the bike you only need minimal clothes. MTB shoes you can walk in.

The FCR spec on the web shows 25mm tyres, I tour on 25s, 28s if you can squeeze them in will give you a bit of comfort. I ride my light tourer on tow paths and even did Paris-Roubaix as a sportif on it without wrecking the wheels. As long as you are not going too wild you should get away with gentle off roading. Have fun.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Thanks for your reply Neil - I was just about to bump this thread and I found it at the top!

I have done motorbike tours in the past and taken FAR too much kit with me (think I packed about 10 pairs of pants/socks for 6 days away??!!), so I appreciate what you're saying there.

My FCR does have rack mountings - the model is a few years old now, so I think there may be a few differences between mine and the newer models....... In fact i've just managed to acquire a rack so i'm going to fit it later, then look at panniers.....

If I got wider tyres, I can use the same wheels and just stick the wider tyres in?? (sorry for my complete novice questions!!). Thanks for your input anyway - I'm hoping to get away later this month or July, and really looking forward to it :-)

Cheers

Andy
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If you've got 25's on the rims they'll take 28 it's the clearances on the forks and seatstays that will limit you. As you can get a rack on luggage wise you're laughing just remember that weight, your powering it this time. Small reliable kit makes life easier. Your wheels shod with a treaded touring tyre like a Marathon a Randonnuer or a Touring Plus The Marathons get my vote.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • As I was checking our touring bikes over at the weekend, I was reminded of the 2 day, 120 mile trip my wife and I did about 20 years ago on old steel bikes with 5 gears and most of the gear, including an old tent, strapped on top of the rack because we didn't have panniers.

Moral: don't get too hung up about having all the right kit, just get out and enjoy yourself.

I wish I could remember it more myself!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If you have the time beforehand, why not do a night away test-run? It'll give you an idea of what you need to carry and allow you to test your set up and bike handling etc..

We did that about a month before our first long tour and it was very helpful. One thing we learned was to pool and share out the kit between us, instead of having one each of everything (tools, cooking kit, guide books, maps).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I broke two spokes in a week on my real wheel of my SCR3. Had two pannier bags on with fair amount of weight in but not loads. This was only on my 5 mile commute to work aswell. Check your spoke count and pattern. Mine was radial on one side which was the that they both broke on.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    pneumatic wrote:
    If you have the time beforehand, why not do a night away test-run? It'll give you an idea of what you need to carry and allow you to test your set up and bike handling etc..

We did that about a month before our first long tour and it was very helpful. One thing we learned was to pool and share out the kit between us, instead of having one each of everything (tools, cooking kit, guide books, maps).

Great advice, before every tour i will always do a weekend away as a test run and we share out tool kits etc.