V-Brakes- are front and rear bosses the same?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Exactly what it says in the title; I vaguely remember hearing that either the front or rear bosses/fittings were slightly bigger or something (although I could be making that up, it has been known to happen). But if the fittings are exactly the same then why does CRC specify a difference between front and rear?

Thanks.

(p.s. the V-brakes are not for me)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.

did you need a new topic?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well, I was kind of hoping to slip under your radar so as not to incur your ire with a load of stupid V-brake questions. Are there any parts of the forum you do not go, Nicklouse?

Thanks again.
  • nicklouse
    Pzzt sorry does not compute.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    erm ... yeah but no but

the bosses are the same size where the brake mounts to them but if they're removable then the thread that goes into the frame or fork can be different front to rear. I don't know if this is always the case, but for example both 8mm and 10mm blanking screws are available. The 2 forks have wth remiovable bosses are both 8mm thread, I don't have any removable rear ones to check, but I think they're typically 10mm
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    bomberesque
    true and the front can also vary with fork maker. Marzocchi have about 5 different bosses over the years and then the other fork makers.

but the question was more related to the addition of V brakes to an Old canti equipped bike.
    as allready covered in the other post mentioned.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

:wink: