Hope hubs 150 x 12mm

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited May 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a bit of a problem,

I am planning to buy the Marin 150 x 12mm Maxle kit (I automatically assumed that the rear end spacing was 135mm on my Quake as it had a QR on!!!!! :shock: )
http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/accessories.php

Why would they do that? :?

I either buy the hub conversion kit from Hope
http://www.kustombikes.co.uk/wheels_and ... ersion_kit

But as you can see it says its for a 135mm hub

or

New hub..........

All of the 12mm ones I seem to see are 135mm.

What hub do I need? And how hard is it to convert it yourself (QR to 12mm) once the right kit has been purchased..... I don't have any specific hope hub tools

Grrrrrrrr - what with this and my chainline problem I am going mad!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    err links problems.. what are you doing.

have you measured the drop outs.

do it. then you will know what you have now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    Have measure the dropouts on the frame and they are 150mm.

So I am assuming I have a 150mm 'QR' Hope Pro 2 hub

If the conversion is going to be a problem without the adequate tools, I may just get the LBS to do it OR just buy a new Hope 150mm x 12mm hub... and have it laced to old rim - but that seems a more costly option

I am assuming the reason that the 2007 quakes had 150mm x QR hubs and not the maxle kit is that the maxle wasn't in full-flight production then? Am I right?

It seems ridiculous to have a 38lb extreme riding rig with something so flimsy on the back end?? :shock:

EDIT: and I am not small...... 14+ stone as you know so tighter safer back end is defo on the cards!
  • nicklouse
    nope Hope do not do a 150mm Qr hub.

all their 150mm hubs are 12mm

just been reading the 2007 specs and all the Quakes had the same frame and had 135mm Qr rear hubs.

take a picture of your rear hub so the disc looks like a line (straight down disc side as that will show for sure if it is a 135 or 150 hub as the spacing if poor on the 150,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Big Cheese
    Thanks nick

Dammit, what a pain in the arse! :lol:

Defo 150mm frame spacing as I measured it 3 times, and bigger than my Indian Fire Trail which is 135mm

so god knows what's going on with the hub?

Shall get a piccie up, waiting for lead to come from ebay (lost mine) so may be a couple of days!

why is nothing so simple? :cry:
  • nicklouse
    well the 2007 7,2 and 7,1 have deore hubs. and the 7,3 the WTB LaserDisc Lite 32 hole hub which is also 135 Qr.

http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2007 ... s_quad.pdf

also the reason Hope dont do a 150 Qr to 12mm kit is because they dont do a 150 qr hub.

Sorry but you are measuring the right way? the inside of the drop outs.

or the hub flats to flats?
  • The Big Cheese
    Righto - it would appear that I have been a bit stupid... :oops:

I measured the modular drop out too high up, with the wheel in, where it IS 150mm, but NOT the bit where the axles go.. which is 135mm....

This is the bolt on drop out and not the frame itself

On Marin UKs webby, it says that you can convert the 2006/2007 Quakes to 150mm, but that must mean the modular dropouts are 'straight' ie 150mm and don't come in that extra 15mm (if that makes sense?) but it would mean a new hub

Anyhoo, I either stay with what I have, or buy the kit at a cost of about £70 AND a new hub........ :(
  • nicklouse
    TBH i would have a chat with your marin shop as the accesories page does not say they are for 150. and if you look in your rides (you posted in the topic) he has fitted similar maxle kit but it was 135mm he did also post 150 but was also confused.

so you may be able to do what you want but it will be as a 135 maxle :wink:

good luck.
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    TBH i would have a chat with your marin shop as the accesories page does not say they are for 150. and if you look in your rides (you posted in the topic) he has fitted similar maxle kit but it was 135mm he did also post 150 but was also confused.

so you may be able to do what you want but it will be as a 135 maxle :wink:

good luck.

lol.. cheers nick...

I have emailed ATB sales, they are normally good at getting back, this is a bit of a problem with marin....

Hopefully something can be sorted :wink:
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    the quake is a 150 i am sure ya fit spacers or somit. as said above speak to ya local marin dealer they will help