Complete noob with ridiculously overspecced first bike!

DiscoStu73
DiscoStu73 Posts: 100
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
That'll be me then :D

I was going to buy my first 'proper' bike and could stretch to the £500 area. I had my options down to the Giant XTC4, Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and the GT Avalanche 1.0. I thought I had it sorted out and I was going to go for the Giant, but then this appeared in my free-ads paper:

M5.jpg
M52.jpg

2005 Specialized S-Works M5 HT frameset with top spec bits n bobs. All in fantastic condition except the lockout lever on the fork, but that should be a cheap enough fix.
Got it for a lot less than the ones I was looking at, and the spec is mental!

Beers are on me!

Comments

• Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    That's an ace find. But I'd change those pedals to either proper flats or clipless before you break your ankles.
  • DiscoStu73
    Yeah, there's a couple of tweaks on the cards. Change the pedals and fix the lockout lever for a start, and possibly change the gripshifts if I don't get on with them and maybe also a riser bar instead of the flat.
    The guy I bought it from gave me the Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals that he'd never gotten on with, so I have a clipless option although Shimano SPD seems to be the favourite of all my mates. Like I say, I'm new to all this and I'm in specification overload just now! I'm going to stick with flats until I'm confident on the bike.
  • Mickey Eye
    I'm just jealous mate. I never find any bargains, that and Norway gets stiffed on prices as well.
  • DiscoStu73
    I'm chuffed that you like it! I took a bit of a chance as I didn't really know what to look for when I went to see it, and it was a 3-hour round trip. I got it home and had to get my mate to check it over cos he knows exactly what he's talking about when it comes to bikes. He just grinned and said "well done"!
    That was enough for me. I seem to have entered a strange new world of outdoorness and money spending...
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    that's a bloody nice bike.

scuse the french :wink:
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    DiscoStu73 wrote:
    I seem to have entered a strange new world of outdoorness and money spending...

At least you know what youi're getting yourself in for!

Nice bike, great bargain.

Have fun!
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    Nice!

DiscoStu.jpg
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • DiscoStu73
    Hey, DiscoStu don't advertise!
  • Timmaa
    Timmaa Posts: 10
    Bargainismus! Nice touch there mate.
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    how much was it?
  • DiscoStu73
    Well I took it out for its first offroading this evening, about 45 mins through the woods. It was raining all day here up until about 3pm so the ground was still wet at 6pm. So it was my first real ride on this bike and also my first wet offroad ride. And the bike just ate it up!
    I used the same trail that I've been on recently with my old totally solid Raleigh, and the difference was immense. My old bike was a decent road bike so this new one didn't feel such a step forward on tarmac, but take it on to the soft stuff and I really felt the improvement. Having a really good fork was sublime (having ANY fork is sublime compared to what I'm used to :D) and my bum didn't even notice the bumps, roots, rocks...
    And talk about light! It went wherever I pointed it, and at any speed.
    Only drawback is the pedals and toeclips. They've GOT to go cos I fell off :oops: trying to scale a steep ridge that I could normally get up on my old bike. I'd picked too high a gear and so had to power my way up before I ran out of momentum. But run out I did, and I couldn't get my feet out of the clips to stop myself falling. One bleeding knee later...
    I'm not ready for clip-in shoes yet so some decent flats will do me. Probably some Wellgos, V8s or V12s.
  • CTML
    CTML Posts: 53
    Awesome find must say. Don't want to spoil the fun but being from london the land of thieves, you might just want to double check if it had been stolen if the seller was keen to flog it at such a low price.
  • DiscoStu73
    He didn't really want to sell it as low as that. He'd been advertising it for a few weeks before I called him, and I talked him down quite a bit. He was needing money for some competition angling gear so decided to ditch the bike. Going by what I'd seen on eBay and on forums like this, his original asking price was about right.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    I'm just jealous mate. I never find any bargains, that and Norway gets stiffed on prices as well.

You mean there's somewhere more expensive than the UK? :O

the Mr and I are sorely tempted to take to £60 halfords bikes over to the US as sports equipment, then come back with brand new bikes in their place. You pay half the price for the same spec bike over there, and even less when the exchange rate is good. Even if you get stuck with import duty and vat, you'll still save a handful of cash.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Mickey Eye
    You mean there's somewhere more expensive than the UK? :O

I regularly get parts sent over from the UK as "gifts". I honestly considering going to London to buy my next bike. It's not just price though, the selection here is pretty slim too. Which is odd because Norway is a great place to ride.
  • rockhop09
    rockhop09 Posts: 17
    good find dude! awesome bike, love m5 frames.
  • DiscoStu73
    Cheers man, last night's test ride was a real eye-opener! I can see myself getting VERY into this!!!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    did you scrape the blood off it from where the seller had killed the guy he was stealing it from? :wink:

nice bike, that'll last you years if you look after it right.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • DiscoStu73
    It was immaculately clean when I picked it up. He must have went to town with the Muck-Off!
  • Mickey Eye
    Is Muck-Off guaranteed to remove incriminating DNA evidence?
  • DiscoStu73
    No no no, you're thinking of Cillit Bang!
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    ...which removes your fingers as well, if you don't wear gloves...
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Dogoid
    Dogoid Posts: 42
    a year and a half ago i got a kona hoss 2005 with hfx9 brakes with truvativ head set and crank set with deore group , alex rims , isis interface. only been used 5 times and it was sparkling new for 250. i even knocked him down from 270. he was desperate for money as this was christmas time.

after i bought it, he was offered 380 for it buy another ebay buyer. of course it was already sold.

just thought id share my ebay bargain.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You never did say what you paid for it so how does everyone know it was such a bargain?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • bigdavevw
    bigdavevw Posts: 213
    Ooh S works. nice 8)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You Jammy git thats well sweet.
    If your looking for some pedals I bought some of these recently to go on my commuter and I have been well impressed so far

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5195
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DiscoStu73
    Cheers Stubs, I've already been looking at the Wellgo V8 and V12 copies. Is there anything that makes the Wellgos you got any better than the ones I've been looking at?

Oh, I did say that I got the bike for well under £500...
    8)

Well, ok then, £425!
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    thats a great buy mate, lucky git!! enjoy.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    DiscoStu73 wrote:
    Cheers Stubs, I've already been looking at the Wellgo V8 and V12 copies. Is there anything that makes the Wellgos you got any better than the ones I've been looking at?

Oh, I did say that I got the bike for well under £500...
    8)

Well, ok then, £425!

I got those style because they are a copy of the old Shimano DX pedal which is the granddaddy of all platform pedals and I had a set years ago. So nostalgia made me buy them rather than the V12 copy which was the alternative I was looking at.
    You cant really go wrong with Wellgo pedals they are cheap and easy to service and as long as you grease the bearings regulary and dont jet wash them they should last for ages
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap