Choosing a Halfords C2W bike

cambb
cambb Posts: 26
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi,

What other makes of bikes have people got through Halfords other than the stock they show online?
thanks in advance

Comments

• cambb
    cambb Posts: 26
    Any ideas on bikes they can't order?
  • dean85
    dean85 Posts: 87
    i feel sorry for any one that has to get there cycle to work bike through halfords, me mate got his rockhopper through them, took it back for a fork problem with his tora's, funnily enough nothing could be done because specialized dont deal with Halfords, so the fork could'nt be sorted for nearly 2months, absolute joke. just be carefull, halfords buy in bulk for a reason, i used to work in there bikehut in maidstone store, they do the same with raliegh so they do there own in house warranty on them, turn around is shocking. and most part timer's are there because it's a job,

the new boardman bikes coming out llok good, and same with there new voodoo/carrrera range
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I got my Giant through Halfords (Bikehut) on the C2W scheme - no probs build and setup was excellent and they were very helpful about size, fitting etc
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I think Halfords vary store to store. You need to read up a little and perhaps take someone more knowledgable with you if its your first bike.

They do have some nice gear in now, but it needs to have been set up properly. One or two shops have let customers down.
  • I bought my Boardman MTB from bikehut in Putney as my local store had none in stock. The Putney staff were excellent in every way and the bike came perfectly well set up. The Brighton store staff were also more than helpful when I needed an emergency fix while rushing around town on my folder. A lot of folk seem to have issues with Halfords/Bikehut but, the Apollo range of bikes aside, I think they are pretty good really.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • I got a Kinesis Crosslight through them (actually Cycle Republic which is a subsiduary, but the same scheme).
    My first choice was a focus, but they weren't able to get that as they don't deal with Wiggle.

Build was generally excellent, but as has been mentioned, this seems to vary tremendously from shop to shop.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Colleague just got a replacement Viner Gladius through Halfords (the original was stolen from his shed and Tesco home insurance terms forced him down the Halfords route). It is a quality machine.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Gussio wrote:
    Colleague just got a replacement Viner Gladius through Halfords (the original was stolen from his shed and Tesco home insurance terms forced him down the Halfords route). It is a quality machine.

I've got one of those as well. I love it. Service from Hellfrauds wasn't very good (for example, I had to tell them which way round the pedals went!) but that is not a major problem, you can always go in to your LBS to get the set up sorted.