Now I know why cycling exists - I love the school holidays!

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
This morning there was very little traffic on my route - Balham to London Bridge overall, but particularly between Clapham Common and Stockwell stations. The sheer joy of cycling, rather than the :shock: or :evil: moments was divine.

Roll on summer holidays :D

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    It is wonderful. But just when you get used to it.....half term ends.

Monday will hurt a bit :cry:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Cafewanda
    So true, but the remainder of the week and the weekend (good sunny weather?) will reduce the disappointment somewhat :)
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I was patting myself on the back when I got to work as I had averaged 15mph...and now i know why! :?
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Cafewanda wrote:
    So true, but the remainder of the week and the weekend (good sunny weather?) will reduce the disappointment somewhat :)

And that's the best way to think of it - pure joy for a week :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Cafewanda
    Sewinman wrote:
    I was patting myself on the back when I got to work as I had averaged 15mph...and now i know why! :?

:lol::lol: I only remembered this morning. Yesterday, I put the light traffic down to the weather.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I'm sure the day the little "treasures" go back they moan at their parents to take them in the car. :?
  • Sewinman wrote:

I averaged 21 mph on the way to work this morning. Now if I could only manage that in a time trial!
  • highwaymunky
    highwaymunky Posts: 124
    Yes there is a definite drop in the number of angry cagers on the road this week.
    Roll on summer holidays Very Happy
    Hear Hear!! :D
  • Cafewanda
    So true! I managed home to London Bridge in 31 mins. Usually 33 mins +. I'll have to see if I can improve on that tomorrow :D

PS: That guy who said "passing left" before cruising past me , before we got to the lights at Clapham Common tube - cheers.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Was a very very very relaxing commute today - first commute of the week. Despite all the road works still more relaxing than commuting by car.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Cafewanda wrote:
    This morning there was very little traffic on my route - Balham to London Bridge overall, but particularly between Clapham Common and Stockwell stations. The sheer joy of cycling, rather than the :shock: or :evil: moments was divine.

Roll on summer holidays :D

Same further south - Cavendish Road, Tooting Common, Mitcham, Rose Hill and the back streets of Sutton all delightfully free of kids and kid-carriers.

Mind you, I came across more half-asleep motorists than usual.
    It works both ways - no school no school run for me this week so 4 days on the bike instead of the usual 2 maybe 3 :) Traffic levels round these parts are insignificant anyway so that aspect hasn't altered this week.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Sewinman wrote:

I averaged 21 mph on the way to work this morning. Now if I could only manage that in a time trial!

:shock: Do you live at the top and work at the bottom of a hill?? That's VERY impressive!
    I consider anything about about 16.5mph a good average for myself getting around London :-)

I also did notice the lack of traffic, but I was in my car so I'm actually contributing towards the traffic as I'm working at the only site I need to drive to for a couple of days :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • to be honest there is one steep short downhill bit, but the main reason was a serious bit of SCR against a serial RLJ'er for 90% of my journey.

no way was i letting that fecker beat me into town.