Changing colour of bits on bikes

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited May 2009 in MTB general
I have a Nicolai Helius CC, infact it's the one below

3518889648_f1b684e07c.jpg

What I'd rather like is a Red Rocker like the one on the bike below, any ideas on how to get it done, or indeed doing it myself?

dsk-helius-cc.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    send it away for anodizing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    email nicolai and see if they sell them seperately as it might be cheaper than sending your old one away to a firm that do anodising, plus you also have downtime to take into account as it wouldnt be economically viable for a firm to do a one off dip of a small part, if you fancy trying it yourself have a look at this website.

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
    who cares?
  • Steve_b77
    nicklouse wrote:
    send it away for anodizing.

Great, any ideas where?
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    After a 2 second google search, I found Mansfield Anodizers, L B Parkes and many more that I can't be arsed to list. Just google it, and you'll see 'em!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Steve_b77
    Chaz,

I've already phoned most places google threw up, big batch or minimum price for most of them I'm affraod
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Tell them you are a student at a university doing product design and you need a one off for your final year project. Might be expensive but they'll usually do it. Thing is you might not get a colour quality guarantee and you certainly won't have any avenue for complaint.

Plenty of companies do one off for prototyping.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Ah, sorry mate! Try contacting Argos Racing Cycles, other well-known frame re-sprayers. They may have contacts!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Chaz,

I've already phoned most places google threw up, big batch or minimum price for most of them I'm affraod

That'll always be the case I would think. A single piece should in theory cost peanuts to anodise, but the time it takes to set up and a batch of chemicals means they've got to charge a basic fee before it's even worth their while.

If you can befriend a local firm somehow maybe you could get it tagged in with another job, in which case they might not even be fussed about charging you.... I've done it before when doing little prototypes through work.