Mountain Bike vs Road Bike Sizing

AidanR
AidanR Posts: 1,142
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've had road bikes for ages, and know what fits me. However, I'm thinking of taking the plunge into mountain biking and I'm pretty clueless.

So my question is this - I have a 54cm effective top tube and 12cm stem on my road bike. Do I want the same effective reach (taking into account the difference between flat and drop bars) on a mountain bike as I do on a road bike? I assume that I'll want the bars a little higher, but that's a different matter (ignoring the small reduction in reach this will give me).

The type of riding I'm aiming for is non-technical singletrack etc. - just hours of blasting around woods and along paths.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aidan
Bike lover and part-time cyclist.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    similar but totally diferent.

sorry get your self to a shop and find out what feels right (but it will feel wrong).

the biggest difference is that you sit down less on am MTB so it is harder to "calculate" the right fit and different makers use geo. so what is right for one person may suck for another.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown