Favourite Race Tactics

Elushion
Elushion Posts: 115
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
What are your favourite race tactics. To break away by yourself from the gun or to make everyone else do the work untill you pounce! I personally like to wait untill there is a substantial climb and come past the group at such a speed no-one can get onto my wheel, then hope to be able to timetrial in all the way to the finish.
"It was eleven more than necessary."

-Jacques Anquetil (after winning a race by twelve
seconds."

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    In other words you like to race against people who are much slower than you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah thats my favourite too.

Sadly - hasnt happened yet... ;-)
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I'm not so fit, but really quite strong. So I like to sit in a bit, grind some big gears, do my turns on the front, then about 2kms from the finish line, smash the hammer down, as hard as I possibly can, and hope to hold everyone off... 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like to go as fast as I can then crash spectacularly, breaking a leg in three places which then gives me an excuse for being slow.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    NapoleonD :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I like to go as fast as I can then crash spectacularly, breaking a leg in three places which then gives me an excuse for being slow.

+1 If you're going to crash at least make it spectacular. You'll be remembered long
    after the winner has come and gone. Great tactical advise. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've used it once so I don't think I can ever get away with it again, just like Armstrong with his 'bluff' on Alpe d'Huez in 2001.

Plus, it really hurts.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Making the winning break is my favourite.

Unfortunately it's harder than it sounds!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Breakaways are much surer ways of winning then bunch sprints.

I like waiting for hills (being lightweight) then from somewere near the front putting the hammer down and trying to drag some people with me as I attack.
    A small group of 4/5 is great, as noo-body can sit in and you can keep a good speed up.

Going near the end is very very tough as you're probably going pretty fast already and everyone will be trying to chase you down.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • cougie
    nolf wrote:

Cav may disagree with you here....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    My most successful tactic - well it wasn't that successful but it did get me to the giddy heights of 4th which for me is success - was to save my legs sitting in all the way round, move up to the front few for the last few laps (it was a crit) and then contest the sprint. That's not proper racing though is it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    My most successful tactic - well it wasn't that successful but it did get me to the giddy heights of 4th which for me is success - was to save my legs sitting in all the way round, move up to the front few for the last few laps (it was a crit) and then contest the sprint. That's not proper racing though is it.

Many a race has been won by someone "sitting in" and not doing much except keeping up. If no one pushes the pace and you feel confident in your sprinting then what's the problem? Proper racing? Sure it is.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021

The ability to sit whether it's in the bunch for a mass sprint or in a winning break is an art in itself.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    cougie wrote:
    nolf wrote:

Cav may disagree with you here....

Well you say that, but you get loads of hangers on in a lot of races, they'll all have fresh legs for the sprint and so theres a lot more competition.

If you're in a breakaway of 5, you're at least guaranteed a top 5 placing.

I don''t understand sitting in, you've paid £10+ to go on quiet/closed roads then spend the whole time bumming around at the back, not working hard, just to contest the sprint. Not a proper work out at all. Might as well go on a club run and sprint for the final town sign.

I always prefer getting to the end and thinking, wow 1 more pedal stroke and I'll collapse.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • cougie
    Personally I cant do the sitting in thing. Cos my sprint is rubbish and I like to race rather than sit on a wheel and do bugger all all day.