rear derailleur installation

NigelSWales
NigelSWales Posts: 196
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I just wanted to check something guys, the rear mech turned up today, Deore XT, and i "think" i see 2 problems, the first being the groove in the plate behind the mounting bolt that has the recess for the dropout doesnt seem flush with the dropout, and the guide pulley seems a little stiff when turning it, are these problems i need to solve or are they both normal? adjusting the b-tension screw doesnt get the groove flush either, tried that :|

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont see a problem there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NigelSWales
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont see a problem there.
    cheers Nick, just wanted to check, now im waiting patiently for the courier to bring the other parts today or tomorrow so i can finish this and get the GF off my back :D
  • NigelSWales
    revisiting this thread, had the bike back from the LBS today after the bb was shell was faced, and had another go at installing the rear derailer, im sure that the groove on the back of the pivot bolt should have more room for the dropout to recess properly, the RD just doesnt seem to sit right as it is :| ideas anyone? :/
  • nicklouse
    lets have a picture. or pictures so you can show what you think is a problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • NigelSWales
    give me 5 min's then, i tried to grab a pic but its pretty hard to get the right angle.
  • NigelSWales
    Ok, here's the pic, highlighted the problem area in green, it jus seems that groove behind the pivot bolt should be slightly larger for the dropout to recess into properly ?

reardr.jpg
  • nicklouse
    now that does look odd.

the silver bit sticking up.

can you whip the mech off and take a pic of the mounting face of the mech.
  • nicklouse
    a couple of pics of one to hand.

img0387awa.jpg

img0389z.jpg

as you can see there is a gap, but yours?
  • NigelSWales
    nicklouse wrote:
    now that does look odd.

the silver bit sticking up.

can you whip the mech off and take a pic of the mounting face of the mech.

sure here ya go
    i took a few, im concerned mainly because as it stands, even after adjustment, those jockey wheels arent going to line up properly with the cassette when the front mech goes on and the chains feeding through.

IMAGE_085.jpg

IMAGE_086.jpg

IMAGE_087.jpg

IMAGE_088.jpg
  • NigelSWales
    ahh i see, yours looks the same, the groove in the bolt pin plate doesnt sit flush with the dropout, doesnt explain my cogs not lining up though, maybe some more fiddling when the front mech gets here.
  • nicklouse
    i guess through the focus that the white Squiggle is grease?

yours look normal then and you just need to set the stop screws up correctly.
  • NigelSWales
    nicklouse wrote:

yeah, sorry the camera on my phone isnt to good, the white stuff is finish line teflon grease, im hoping this bike hasnt got to go back to the LBS, wouldnt be much of a custom build if it does :lol:
  • Bobhellen
    Bobhellen Posts: 154
    what ever was sticking out looks like it is form your frame can we have better pics of the mech hanger
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"
  • NigelSWales
    nicklouse wrote:

yeah, sorry the camera on my phone isnt to good, the white stuff is finish line teflon grease, im hoping this bike hasnt got to go back to the LBS, wouldnt be much of a custom build if it does :lol: is it worth trying to get the jockeys lined up without the gear cables and front mech or am i just wasting time because its not under any type of tension ?
  • Bobhellen
    Bobhellen Posts: 154
    no tension then no point.
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"
  • nicklouse
    Well have a read of the how to on Park tools.

set the stop for the small cog and then adjust the tension so it shift up the casette to the big cog. when that is working well you set the stop for the big cog. job done.

on a normal mech (where the cable pulls the mech to the big cog) the setting of the stop screw for the small cog is the important one.

the other one just stops the chain going into the wheel.
  • NigelSWales
    Bobhellen wrote:
    what ever was sticking out looks like it is form your frame can we have better pics of the mech hanger
    sure, although looking at the pic, i think its just the angle and what your seeing is the notch on the reverse of the mech that stops the mounting plate spinning a 360 ..

mech-hangar.jpg
  • NigelSWales
    nicklouse wrote:
    Well have a read of the how to on Park tools.

set the stop for the small cog and then adjust the tension so it shift up the casette to the big cog. when that is working well you set the stop for the big cog. job done.

on a normal mech (where the cable pulls the mech to the big cog) the setting of the stop screw for the small cog is the important one.

the other one just stops the chain going into the wheel.
    will do, cheers Nick