Oh b*gger off P*ncture Fairy

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
I was already running a little late when I lifted by bike off the rack, lowered it to floor and realised something was amiss. That squidgy feeling of a deflated front tyre. Most likely a prize picked up from the weekend outing in the Chilterns.

Whipped out my spare tube only to discover that I'd been lazy and had not repaired that either. Looking for a new tube would have meant rummaging around in the bedroom and waking the missus, so I set about repairing the spare tube and slapping that in.

Must say that I am glad this happened at home, because at least I had the track pump handy rather than being forced to use the mini-pump.

So, missed my usual train, missed an espresso, got "the glare" on arrival at work. Gr. :?

Comments

• DrWorm
    DrWorm Posts: 66
    Unlucky. But you never get a puncture when you are running early, the puncture fairies are a spite-filled breed.
  • Roastie
    DrWorm wrote:
    Unlucky. But you never get a puncture when you are running early, the puncture fairies are a spite-filled breed.
    Running early? What's that? :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    She attacked my car the other day, I need two new front tires anyway. Can you guess which one she went for? :evil:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    experienced my 3rd on Tuesday! :-(.. except this was of the slow and steady kind, (as oppose to the 2 previous explosive kind\) and i just managed to get to work!

I now have 2 new continental GP 4000 (in lovely white i might add!!) tyres insitu.. see how they fare up to wrath of the PF!
  • highwaymunky
    highwaymunky Posts: 124
    Puncture Fairies seem to have left me alone for a while now, but earlier in the year we had a much deeper relationship culminating in them encouraging my rear tube to try and escape the confines of the tyre at 30mph!

Just glad it wasn't the front one!

Bloody Fairys!
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    P*ncture fairy paid me a visit this evening :x Perhaps I was overdue, but the double whammy of two large areas of guano on my bike was rather unnecessary. Honestly, they were huge, about the size of my hand. I'm buying an air rifle...
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I've laughed in the face of the puncture fairy for over two years.

I do 80 -100 miles a week plus the odd 100 mile event... the answer!

Simply fit some Scwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.

I'm sure there heavier than many racing whippet tyres out there, but i'd rather be cycling than groveling around at the side of the road at 5.30 am.

Stu
  • Roastie
    Stu, there is a lot to be said for your approach. I tend on the side of more rugged rubber for the commute but I am keen to try Marathons - not sure if they come in 25c tho'?

Once I get myself a 'cross frame that can take 28s... :)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Spa Cycles sell Marathons in 700x25. However, I have had many thousands of miles/several years without punctures using Specialized All Conditions Pro's.
  • prawny
    Isn't the stelvio plus like a marathon plus for racer types?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Roastie
    alfablue wrote:
    Spa Cycles sell Marathons in 700x25. However, I have had many thousands of miles/several years without punctures using Specialized All Conditions Pro's.
    Ah, interesting. Ta.

I was poking around the Schwalbe site a few minutes ago. I didn't find a 700x25c Marathon listed, but the Durano Plus looks pretty interesting.

I've also had pretty good service from my Spesh All Conditions Armadillo (doing duty on the rear). It may be a bit slow, but it has never failed me so far. I've had a Schwalbe Blizzard on the front that has had its fair share of PF attention but, given that I bought it for peanuts as an emergency stop-gap, it has done pretty well.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Roastie wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Ah, interesting. Ta.

I was poking around the Schwalbe site a few minutes ago. I didn't find a 700x25c Marathon listed, but the Durano Plus looks pretty interesting.

I've also had pretty good service from my Spesh All Conditions Armadillo (doing duty on the rear). It may be a bit slow, but it has never failed me so far. I've had a Schwalbe Blizzard on the front that has had its fair share of PF attention but, given that I bought it for peanuts as an emergency stop-gap, it has done pretty well.

The Spesh AC Pro's are different from the Armadillo's, they weigh 225g and are fast, yet still puncture proof.
  • Roastie
    alfablue wrote:
    The Spesh AC Pro's are different from the Armadillo's, they weigh 225g and are fast, yet still puncture proof.
    Yep, my reply was badly worded. Just meant to say I was also happy with Spesh tyres.

I don't see the point of commuting on fast rubber. I've got a different bike for going fast on.
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    does anyone else dread the sight of farmers trimming their hedges (snigger). with those big tractor mounted trimmers
  • mud-dodger
    mud-dodger Posts: 12
    she got me twice last week,none on the MTB commuter in 2 years & just hit 2000 miles on't road bike with none then 2 on consecutive days!
    temped fate really though, was only telling a work mate the day before that I'd not had any.....D'oh :lol:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I was lying in bed asleep and then around 0100hrs I was woken by a faint jingling sound coming from the garage. I thought nothing of it and returned to sleep. This morning I slung my leg over the kona and heard the rim hit the ground. Looked and both wheels deflated. Ran my finger around the inside of the front tyre and found offending shard of glass, opened a new new tube and popped the front wheel on. Did the same on the rear and couldn't feel a thing. So I looked around the outer and found a piece. Removed that and put on a new tube and inflated it...............until at 100psi it went pop. Took the rear tyre completely off the rim and looked around the inner with a headtorch. I found the real cause which was a tiny sliver. Put another new tube on and finally got to work, 50 minutes late. My question is this.

Does the puncture fairy always make that jingling sound when she visits?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hey ship happens get over it.

PF what PF :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Spotted in ITB's garden:

fairy_large.jpg
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    2nd puncture this year and first for the new panaracer straitus pro tyres. This was yesterday coming back from work. It was dry too. The hole looked like a nail or similar. i have a road morph pump which has a doodah to hold it with your foot and a pressure gauge. It's pretty quick to get to 7 bar
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Still no bike punctures but getting a new tyre for my car is costing me a LOT more than even a dozen tubes would have.
  • prawny
    biondino wrote:
    Still no bike punctures but getting a new tyre for my car is costing me a LOT more than even a dozen tubes would have.

The cheapest of the cheapo Star Performer tyres made by the Xiandfgasaiagdanganagnangangangangangang Tyre corp were £65 for my C-max :cry:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017